Contractor shortage?

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
I knew with the wind storm we had in January, that fencing contractors would be backed up, but it took a month to get the first estimate. (One company did call back to say they got my message and would call me back in a month to setup an appointment. But they are the number one contractor on Yelp.) Work is now scheduled to start the first week of May!

Now I am a week into trying to get estimates to get 5 ceiling fans wired in, and not a single contractor has even called back.

I tried to build a house in 1995 in Metro Atlanta. There was so much construction going on with preparations for the Olympics that 6 months after ground breaking I didn't even have a poured foundation yet.

As for the ceiling fans, it could be that no one is interested in such a small job? I have found that if you have a friend who is a real estate agent that they have lists of handyman who will work small jobs in a rapid time frame.

Social media can also be a great place to find a handyman.

I agree with the others.

Sounds like your jobs are smallish and not needed to keep up the bottom line by the contractors that you have called.

Or go to Home Depot on Saturday and see who is hanging around looking for an odd job. FIL had his 3600 square foot roof replaced that way.

Saw this coming, When they started ending unions they lost a lot of young workers, the money was not there, we pretty much lost a generation of construction workers. I am in the construction business, everyone I know it totally swamped. Personally I took down my web site and do not answer the phone unless I know the number

when the housing market crashed skilled labor suffered. some experienced folks went into other lines of work to survive and stayed there. there's such an overwhelmingly negative stereotype associated with any young person not going to college so fewer go into the trades. the reconstruction from the fires in washington and california has put a tremendous amount of demand on the industry that can't be met with the current workforce.

we are JUST getting some repairs done to our home after a 2 YEAR WAIT for the type of skilled tradesman the job requires to be available (and he's coming from the adjacent state).

Do you have a facilities/maintenance department at work? One of them could be qualified to do and might like some extra cash.

The issue is as most said trades are busy everywhere. Kids don’t want to go into that field as much as too much hard work.

We are also in construction (open shop, municipal/heavy - not residential) and I can tell you that the industry in general is having a hard time getting & retaining laborers who can pass a drug test and/or wants to work and/or shows up to work...our starting rates are far above minimum wage, and some of our work is Davis Bacon wage rated, which depending on the classification can be higher hourly rates.
At least that is my specific experience in the MD/DE/VA/NC area.

We have a contractor we have been using for over 15 years and have a good relationship. We have used him for at least 5 major projects (room addition, kitchen remodel, etc) and I know he will return my calls when we need something done. They do have a great deal of trouble getting reliable general labor workers.

Do you have a facilities/maintenance department at work? One of them could be qualified to do and might like some extra cash.

Not any more. Corporate is soooooo worried about injuries and liability that anything with any risk (ladders, electricity, wiring) is contracted out.

kdonnel is right. You need a handyman. A real electrical company won't want a job that small. A handyman would LOVE that work.
Well, a handyman is ONE of the people I called, no call back from him. And one of the electricians is one my son and daughter in law used to put in 2 fans and a security camera at the end of last year. This type job is their specialty. But the fixture store says to allow 90 minutes per fan for wiring an installation for the new installs, so this would be nearly a full day job.

But the fixture store says to allow 90 minutes per fan for wiring an installation for the new installs, so this would be nearly a full day job.
I have put up 5 fans in my own home in less then 2 hours. Unless all new circuits are needed, installing a ceiling fan is a quick and easy job and they are way overestimating at 90 minutes per fan. If new circuits are needed in existing construction then 90 minutes per fan is probably underestimating.

DH has installed countless ceiling fans for us our parents and grandparents. He is not a true "handy person". He did not have to do any wiring-existing light fixture or ceiling fan was replaced. Did not take that long to install

I have put up 5 fans in my own home in less then 2 hours. Unless all new circuits are needed, installing a ceiling fan is a quick and easy job and they are way overestimating at 90 minutes per fan. If new circuits are needed in existing construction then 90 minutes per fan is probably underestimating.
2 are replacing existing fans.
3 are starting from scratch, no light fixture, wiring needs to be pulled. Junction box put in ceiling. My wife seems to remember it taking about 3 hours total for the 2 fans we currently have. They tapped into the hot side of the closest light switch for the fan, but the fan is not controlled by the switch.

2 are replacing existing fans.
3 are starting from scratch, no light fixture, wiring needs to be pulled. Junction box put in ceiling. My wife seems to remember it taking about 3 hours total for the 2 fans we currently have. They tapped into the hot side of the closest light switch for the fan, but the fan is not controlled by the switch.
The 2 replacement fans are 30 minutes each tops. It is really easy.

As for the others, it all depends on access to run the necessary wiring.

If I was adding new wiring in the ceiling I would splurge for a real electrician. That is where a lot of fires start. If the wiring and junction box is already there it is pretty easy

Well, one of the contractors called back, finally. They will be out Monday to give an estimate. And it is one of the electricians, not a handyman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter