Converting a waterbed into a regular bed....

thelittlemermaid

<font color=purple>My life was forever changed whe
Has anyone done this?

DH and I have a waterbed so does our DS. I have been having alot of back problems here lately and so has DH. We have been talking about getting rid of the waterbed mattress and keeping the frame.

My MIL told me that her brother and SIL did this with their waterbed and had to buy 5 different things to convert it. What those 5 things were, she couldn't remember.

Any help would be apperciated!!

TIA!!! :wave:

my.mom.and.dad.just.got.rid.of.the.waterbed.mattress.and.put.in.a.regular.mattress.. :confused3 i.think.

We converted our son's waterbed into a regular bed a lot of years ago.

He had a super single sized water bed which is an unusual size.

I don't know about in the US but in Canada it is the size of what they call a 3/4 bed (between a single and a double).

Basically all we did was take out the water bed mattress and put the new 3/4 sized box spring and mattress right inside the waterbed frame. It fit almost perfectly.

There was a space of about 10 inches or so right underneath the headboard so we stuck some small pieces of board inside there to stop the box spring from shifting.

That's it. Nothing to it at all.

We had a queen sized waterbed and converted it very easily. We just bought a regular queen size mattress. We had a piece of custom-cut foam cut to place at the foot of the bed, since a queen sized waterbed is longer than a regular queen mattress. We used regular queen sheets & just covered the end of the bed with the comforter.

We had a king size waterbed. If you go to a mattress store and tell them that you are wanting to replace a waterbed mattress, they should have on hand or be able to order a waterbed replacement mattress for you. You can put a regular mattress in, but it is meant to be used with a box spring and you probably will not find it to be very comfy after awhile. These replacement mattresses incorporate both the mattress and box spring. It fits into the frame snuggly.

We did this when our son was around 4 years old. It actually worked well. We used the frame and placed a twin mattress in the middle. On the borders, we used body pillows. Not only was it a fun bed, but it kept him from falling out.

They make waterbed replacement mattresses, I have one. They cost a bit more than a regular mattress though.

We went to the waterbed store and bought what they call a "slug". Need to buy king sheets to fit the queen mattress though.

We just did this about a year and ahalf ago. WE left the box spring out because it just made the bed too high. Seems to be fine without it. THere was a bit of space at the end of the mattress (queen size), but doesn't bother us and the mattress doesn't shift at all. We love it.
I got a pillow top that is very similar to the heavenly beds at the Dolphin..... it is heavenly :flower:

We have a Cali King mattress fitted in a Cali King Waterbed frame...It is a pain in the @$$ to change the sheets.. What I would like to do is see if anyone has cut down the bed frame on all sides except headboard. The headboard attaches to the frame...

My parents did it with their king bed. They have the box springs in the water bed frame so the actual mattress is above the frame. Makes changing sheets easy. My dad is tall, so no problems getting in, he built a little step/landing so my mom gets in easier (she's short).

We have a Cali King mattress fitted in a Cali King Waterbed frame...It is a pain in the @$$ to change the sheets.. What I would like to do is see if anyone has cut down the bed frame on all sides except headboard. The headboard attaches to the frame...
Another ancient thread bumped up by somebody who just joined today. What's going on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter