convincing the wife

lieons den

Earning My Ears
SO how do I do it? She wants to go someplace different,but DS (12) want to go back.We talked about the cruise but thats as far as it went.Anybody got any ideas?I have my son working his charm on her , because I know mine doesn't work.So if anyone can help please do.

Thank you

jay

You could always try: "DS is getting older. We won't have too many more big family vacations before he starts working during his school breaks. " It worked for a friend of mine:)

We just did the the kids are getting older vacation ,we tolk all of them(2,16 year old boys plus 11 year old ) last july for 8 days.Plus my parents,my sister and her husband and 2 DD.So thank you anyways.

I know I told my DH that if we went this past Dec. that I would be happy and we could vacation other places. Unfortunately I'm too hooked and have already planned to go back next Dec. DH is on board but I think mainly b/c we traveled with my sister and her DD3 and we did not get to do nearly as much as we wanted to so we're both ready to go back and finish things up.

Since it seemed you traveled with a large group last july maybe there was a lot you couldn't or didn't do? Touring WDW with 3 people is a lot different than 10. I would also keep working the cruise angle. You could do a land/sea package and get the best of both worlds. A little something different for your wife and back to WDW for you and your DS.

Good luck!

I'd find out what she wants to do, and come at it from that angle. Does she want a more relaxing vacation? (Grand Floridian Spa treament, Afternoon Tea at the GF, poolside lounging, Cirque one evening, etc.....) Does she want a thrills? (Richard Petty Driving Experience, Parasailing) Does she want romance? (Illuminations cruise, Couple's spa treatment and/or a romantic dinner and PI while DS is in a kid's program)

If you don't mind having some time apart, there are lots of venues for shopping in the Kissimmee area, as well as right on Disney property. Find out what she wants out of a vacation, and perhaps she'll be willing to spend a few days in the parks and a few days doing other things she enjoys. I'd make sure you give her lots of hugs and loving words when she agrees, and all thoughtout the trip. That goes a LONG way towards next year! ;)

I think we need more information. When was the last time you went somewhere else? Is there a specific place she'd like to see? There could be ammunition here (or not).

I try to alternate vacations, one Disney, one not. If you're anxious to get back and see the World, could you arrange to take a mini-vacation (3-4 days, just the 2 of you if finances are part of the problem) to a destination of her choice soon after?

For some people, myself included, Disney only whets the appetite to go to the actual place. For example Kilimanjaro Safaris has given me a definite yearning to go to Africa :( Now all I have to do is win the lottery... And World Showcase is especially hazardous. If you're wife is like this, you may need to consider going to one of the destinations that have so captured her imagination.

Good luck,
Ciao,
Mort.

Had a similar problem. Have gone to the World the last two years. After last May's vacation, DH said, ok, next year somewhere else. I agreed. BUT, I started "jonseing" for the WORLD about Dec. and so did our DS (5). So, when my mother mentioned going to Orlando in Feb., (with room for us), and the airlines announced a fare sale, and we had left over time on some of our tickets, I announced to DH that I would take our son for a quickie. We have free place to stay and time left on tickets. Well, in the middle of our planning, he has now decided that he will fly down in the middle of the week and join us for some fun at the resort. He will not be going to the parks (yeah right). And we are still planning a real family vacation for spring/summer somewhere else.....

So.... I get the best of all worlds. And like my son says, "We're going to Disney and we're gonna have fun!!!"

( he knows the place so well, he is already planning the itinerary!! hahaha)

shelly

shout out to another meriden resident!

I agree about doing other things than just the parks..Spa treatments are always a good thing...what about behind the scenes tours....
another option...Disney's Vero Beach Resort...if your wife loves the ocean..this could be for you...you can even combine it with a stay in WDW.

after 29 times you would think someone would get bored with wdw..but it doesn't happen...there are so many things to do outside the parks...check out the cool hotels, rent bikes, boats..go to a water park...go mini-golfing.
once she is there, she will be fine!

OK, This is what we did.....

DH didn't want to go to back to WDW yet again for our annual *fall* vacation this year....so we went to DISNEYLAND instead!

We had a fabulous time! We incorporated a visit to his aunt for Thanksgiving, Legoland and some of the more *touristy* L.A. things. He got his *different* vacation, and the kids and I got our Disney fix.

AKASnowWhite--great idea! We visited friends in San Francisco a few years back and that was our vacation for the year. However, the highlight was our visit to Disneyland. We drove from SanFran and arrived at night, started fresh the next day and did the whole park in one perfect day. Gave us a great Disney Fix on one of our "off" years.

Jay,
After our Easter trip in 2001 Dh started the chant "Disney free until 2003". Well we didn't go to WDW since (next trip April), but we did enjoy a 4 day Disney cruise, a trip to Disneyland, and one to DVC Hilton Head. Hilton Head is a nice change while still getting a bit of the Disney fix, between the activities and wonderful cast members, it is a lot calmer then Disney. We have only gone in the offseason to HH. The summers might be crazy.
Donna in NJ

Don't you just hate it when your spouse doesn't love (obsess, whatever) about WDW the way you do?? He just snickers at you on the DIS as he passes by on his way to the kitchen. Would rather go to the Bahamas or on an Alaskan cruise or something trivial like that. Thinks you need "help" for your obsession...

When he accidentally let it slip out that he didn't think he could ever stay at any other WDW resort after BCV (because our BCV stay was so wonderful), I took that as a formal commitment on the same level as our house mortgage and started planning 2004! So my advice to you is just go ahead and plan your next trip. Ask "Hon, which resort do you like better - X, Y, or Z." And proceed from there. Just be prepared to give in to everything she wants from now until your vacation as a worthy trade-off.

BTW - If Disney would just host daily Monster Truck Shows just like their parades or fire works I would have no problem at all getting my husband there. Throw in a Hooters Restaurant in the BC lobby and he'd call it a second honeymoon!!

OK Jay - My next trip may depend on your answer.

How many times have you been to Disney and when? If you have gone more times than we have I may win.

I too am trying to convince the wife. In fact I have placed the reservations with the idea that I will wear her down by the summer. I have four kids working on her. She thinks we should go someplace else. I say there is no place else???? (Other than Las Vegas - the adults only Disney)

I am willing to do almost anything because I love Disney!!! we always have so much fun - there truly is magic. A tear is welling up just thinking about it.

Please Please give me the pixie dust to sprinkle on her!!

O.K. Plan MAN, Now your going to make me think.Here we go our first trip was in 1995 we took her mother and our 3 sons,and sense then we have gone twice by ourselfs,2years ago we took the MIL again last year we went with my parents and sister her husband and 2 nieces.So I guess that makes 5 times in 7 years I won't even count the time I went down (with out her and kids)with a friend to visit his mother and we just happened to have to stay in orlando for a couple of days.
I don't want anybody to think my wife doesn't love disney she just thinks we should go elsewhere.But like I said to her where else can you go and be able to keep the kids from being bored.So I came up with the conclusion that I will just keep throwing hints until she finally cracks,Hopefully it won't take to long.

Oh yeah by the way I got the little guy working on her to, so may a little magic will happen here.:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter