Coral Reef or Nine Dragons which one is better?

captaindavidhook

<font color=green>Stay away from there<br><font co
I have never eaten at either one and possibly looking to eat at one these places. I have hard negative reviews about both places so I'm torn between the two. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

How many people in your party? If you have 2 at Coral Reef, you are going to be down on the floor by the tanks. The bigger booths are higher up. I would go to Coral Reef because dining with fishes isn’t something you can do at home but Chinese food is.

Last edited:
Coral Reef because dining with fishes isn’t something you can’t do at home but Chinese food is.

Agree! The CR atmosphere is very cool, and the food can be above average. From the reviews I read about 9 Dragons is that it is almost exactly the same as 1000s of other Chinese restaurants all over the U.S. but with a premium price tag.

How many people in your party? If you have 2 at Coral Reef, you are going to be down on the floor by the tanks. The bigger booths are higher up. I would go to Coral Reef because dining with fishes isn’t something you can’t do at home but Chinese food is.
I'm going solo so just me =)

Did solo at Coral Reef in 2016, got a 2 seater on the floor adjacent to the tank not directly next to it. Other than having to get my mahi mahi remade because it was super pink inside. I enjoyed very much.

If you’re solo, I’d say coral reef. I’ve never been there, but you’ll have more to do if you can see the tank. We really liked Nine Dragons. It’s more upscale than most Chinese restaurants around here and didn’t have the typical fare (though it’s been years since we’ve been there so maybe that changed).

I always laught when people skip there or a Mexican place because “I can get that at home”. Uh, yeah, you can get all that American, Italian, and seafood at home too. And likely both better and cheaper. So I don’t see how it’s different.

If you’re solo, I’d say coral reef. I’ve never been there, but you’ll have more to do if you can see the tank. We really liked Nine Dragons. It’s more upscale than most Chinese restaurants around here and didn’t have the typical fare (though it’s been years since we’ve been there so maybe that changed).

I always laught when people skip there or a Mexican place because “I can get that at home”. Uh, yeah, you can get all that American, Italian, and seafood at home too. And likely both better and cheaper. So I don’t see how it’s different.
Great point and I totally agree with you there. Same goes for hamburgers and hot dogs and so on lol

Also I think coral reef is a nice place for someone like me being solo and I can enjoy looking at the tank.

Coral Reef is a beautiful restaurant, but the great atmosphere does not make up for the terrible food and service we had. My family has done Dive Quest for many years and has always wanted to eat at the CR. They really enjoyed the dive and interacting with the guests at CR.

Our reservation was at 7:00 and were not seated until 7:30 after a query to the podium on when we were likely to be seated.

Our food was horrible, tough chewy shrimp. Mahi Mahi was a minuscule portion at a high price and terrible steak. We also had terrible service.

There are so many good places to eat at EPCOT, I would rather dine somewhere else.

I love coral reef and always have since 1991 when I went for the first time. It was my first "grownup restaurant" when I went with my HS as a junior and I convinced my friend to go with me. I had a bowl of the creamy lobster soup and she had a sashimi appetizer way before raw fish was mainstream. We also drank a ton of water and ate like 15 sourdough rolls with butter a piece (and back in the day they had mickey shaped butters). Since I started going to coral reef as an adult I have gone every few years. not every trip but maybe ever 2-3. I always read the reviews about how bad it is. I always worry. It's always a great meal. The cream of lobster soup is STILL on the menu and the chocolate wave has changed a bit over the years but it is still delicious. The shrimp and grits was one of my favorite meals of my last trip.

I love it because it is unique to Disney (at least where I live!). I like to go for early lunch, first seating, show up 15 minutes early and request a table by the tank. You're guaranteed to get one in a smaller party. My son and I sat across from a solo woman dining and she was against the tank with her camera and the waiter gave her quite a lot of attention as they were both discussing the fish. I got the feeling she was a regular.

So I guess I'd vote Coral Reef :)

My fiance and I really loved both of them this past March. We're actually doing both again this coming March! I personally preferred Nine Dragons because I adore Chinese food. My fiance prefers seafood so he prefered CR. People love to hate on both of them, but I don't get it because we really loved both of our meals. Can't recommend them both enough. I can see how CR would be better solo, you'd probably get a good tank seat and that will keep you staring the whole time!

Coral Reef hands down. Nine Dragons is OK but it is rather average Chinese food. I am sure everyone on this board has a Chinese restaurant in their town that is better.

Here's how I justify the difference. When I get Chinese food at home, it is usually because we are rushed, juggling schedules, or, as is the case tonight, we are ordering takeout because I sort of hit my breaking point of preparing gourmet meals at home in an unbroken string that has run from the week before Christmas through the week after New Year's and I just have to get out of the kitchen! In other words, Chinese food is sort of an afterthought in a way that lasagna or halibut aren't. So yes, I can make rack of lamb and duck, and sea bass and Bolognese at home, so why would ordering those while on vacation be different than ordering Chinese food? Because I think of Chinese food as a last minute compromise and I don't really want a "compromise" meal while on vacation. I know that this isn't true for others. Just giving you my perspective.

In answer to the OP's question, from my experiences, the quality of the overall meal is superior at Nine Dragons. The overall experience is superior at Coral Reef. If the Disney experience is more important than the food, go with the latter.

Here's how I justify the difference. When I get Chinese food at home, it is usually because we are rushed, juggling schedules, or, as is the case tonight, we are ordering takeout because I sort of hit my breaking point of preparing gourmet meals at home in an unbroken string that has run from the week before Christmas through the week after New Year's and I just have to get out of the kitchen! In other words, Chinese food is sort of an afterthought in a way that lasagna or halibut aren't. So yes, I can make rack of lamb and duck, and sea bass and Bolognese at home, so why would ordering those while on vacation be different than ordering Chinese food? Because I think of Chinese food as a last minute compromise and I don't really want a "compromise" meal while on vacation. I know that this isn't true for others. Just giving you my perspective.

Fair enough. Though I would consider that more "I don't really care for Chinese food". Chinese food is one of our go to meals out. We never order it as takeout (we would if our favorite place were closer, but if we're driving 30 minutes to pick it up, I'm being waited on!).

I think it also depends on whether you like seafood or not. I don't. Our party of three included two seafood lovers and me. They loved their food. I was just OK with mine. I do love Nine Dragons though, and usually go there at least once each trip. If you like seafood, CR, if not and the atmosphere of one or the other is more appealing, go with that one.

I may be biased because of my love for sea food but I'd go with Coral Reef. The food we had was really good and the restaurant is beautiful. Such a nice atmosphere. If you're on your own there's a lot around you to stimulate your senses. (I would like to point out that being in a small party does not necessarily guarantee you a seat by the tanks, we went as a party of 2 and were no where near)

We have eaten at Nine Dragons 3 times because me and DH both enjoy eating Chinese food and we figured you can't really go wrong with a good Chinese...if it was based on our first experience I would highly recommend it however the second time we went the server dropped a glass of coke on my foot/shin which is no biggie. Accidents happen all the time and I'm no stranger to accidents lol and the food that time was sub par.

The third time was possibly one of the worst dining experiences I've ever had with regards to staff. We were seated roughly half hour after our reservation which is fine, getting rushed through our meal was not. I've never been put under so much pressure to eat so quickly lol

I don’t love coral reef but if you’re going solo I would vote for it. Much more interesting than 9 dragons. Lots of big tables among small tables at 9 dragons. The food is a little better at 9 dragons

I think it also depends on whether you like seafood or not. I don't. Our party of three included two seafood lovers and me. They loved their food. I was just OK with mine. I do love Nine Dragons though, and usually go there at least once each trip. If you like seafood, CR, if not and the atmosphere of one or the other is more appealing, go with that one.
I am not into Seafood that much. But I did notice they have a steak at Coral Reef and not heard that it is a very good state. So that was one of the reasons why I would like to go there. I happen to love Chinese food and trying to figure out if people would say that the portions at Nine Dragons is pretty small. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Seems that everybody has to say that coral reef is very beautiful and very nice so you need as opposed to Nine Dragons which is totally different. So I'm at an impasse at this moment lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter