Coral Reef

adtillma

Earning My Ears
I've seen a couple of review of people who weren't all that thrilled with the Coral Reef. Has anyone had a really great experience there?

I had lunch there in early May and really enjoyed it. I had the charbroiled octopus for an appetizer, and I thought it was well cooked and well flavored. The steak I had was cooked perfectly as well. Only thing I really didn't care for was the bread included with the meal.

I say give it a try. Pretty much every restaurant at WDW will have some kind of negative reviews.

I am one of those who have had a great experience at Coral Reef. :fish:
The starter was amazing and the main even managed to top that. :love:
The service was immaculate and the ambiance with the huge aquarium makes for a very special dinner experience.

On a personal note; I would not go for the steak there. Even though I can imagine that it's delicious, but this place is a spectacular fish and seafood venue. You will not get anything close to this in flavor and preparation of the delicate food that fish and sea foods are to cook and serve. These chefs really know their stuff! :worship:

As for steaks I'd head to Le Cellier (Canada) when in Epcot. :dog2:

I am one of those who have had a great experience at Coral Reef. :fish:
The starter was amazing and the main even managed to top that. :love:
The service was immaculate and the ambiance with the huge aquarium makes for a very special dinner experience.

On a personal note; I would not go for the steak there. Even though I can imagine that it's delicious, but this place is a spectacular fish and seafood venue. You will not get anything close to this in flavor and preparation of the delicate food that fish and sea foods are to cook and serve. These chefs really know their stuff! :worship:

As for steaks I'd head to Le Cellier (Canada) when in Epcot. :dog2:

I am so excited to hear that their seafood is so great. We are huge fish lovers so this is right up our alley!

Food wise I've always had good experiences at CR, and if there was an issue it was quickly taken care of by the staff (The one case I remember is that my son got the carrots and celery appetizer off the kids menu and it looked like it had been under a heat lamp.). That being said we have had issues getting seated, even with ADRs. The most egregious being a hour wait and an indifferent front desk staff (That got a note to WDW Corporate).

TLDR version. We like it and it's one that we always end up making a reservation for.

I have always like Coral Reef except for service. Service has always been subpar. Sometimes we have waited a long time to get refills. Food quality has always been good.

We've been there twice and had a great experience both times. The food and service were great both times.

I've been there on a number of occasions nod it is hit or miss. It is either stellar across the board, or as our last visit (Feb '16) ...simply awful. I have had an adult-onset fish allergy come up in the past few years, so that plus the most recent visit may mark the end for us. Try it though...in the past, it has been lovely.

I've been for lunch at least 4x and had incredible experiences with food, service & seating and 1 or 2 less than great times largely due to poor service. Service is not consistent. Having said that, if you are seated close to the tank & see something on the menu that interests you and, it's a big and, don't have an ADR for prime dining hours, you should enjoy. I'd avoid 12 noon and also 6 pm to minimize wasting precious time waiting for your table and to have a better chance of eating closer to the tank.

Note: Coral Reef has had a very recent menu change. Verdict is out whether the change has been for the better. Check out the updated menu on the disney dining site to see if it still appeals.

We enjoy it! It is actually my husband's one request for our trip next February.

He loves the steak there, and I had the shrimp and grits last time and it was great! Of course, you can't beat the view, especially with a toddler to entertain.

I had the salmon with seasonal risotto there last year....while not a particularly adventurous meal, it was actually really tasty and well prepared. Just did seasonal salad to start and skipped dessert for something at World Showcase instead.

We, too, have had two very good experiences on our last two trips there over the past year. I echo the PP's comment about the grilled octopus. We've tried it at several restaurants over the years (Disney and otherwise), and it's among the best we've had. I've also had the salmon and recommend it. Service two times ago was excellent; this last May it was average. That being said, CR does have a reputation for being inconsistent in terms of both food and service. Plus, any restaurant can have off days and nights, and certainly CR is no exception. I've no doubt those who have had bad experiences there have legitimate claims, just as I stand by the fact we've had two above average times there recently. If the menu looks good to you and you don't go expecting a Victoria and Albert's experience, I think odds are in your favor.

I've seen a couple of review of people who weren't all that thrilled with the Coral Reef. Has anyone had a really great experience there?

No offense to Kevin and John (I really wish they'd do more food reviews), but I've found if they don't like something, my family will end up loving it, ha. Loved Coral Reef, San Angel Inn, and Liberty Tree Tavern. Haven't had 'Ohana yet but looking forward to it based on their review.

The seafood was lousy, but the steak was okay. And the waitress was very nice, so that's a plus.

My family has enjoyed Coral Reef. We have had a great view of the aquarium and have also sat in other tiers. The food is good but not the best seafood. I like the restaurant just to sit and watch the aquarium while I eat! It is some place you want to try.

We ate there a few years ago and had a nice time. They promptly sat us right by the aquarium, the service was fine and the food was tasty.

In my opinion it's the best restaurant to just sit and relax and it's QUIET compared to most others. The food was good. The chocolate melting cake was our favorite. They just don't have enough menu selections for my taste. Otherwise we enjoyed it very much.

We really like Coral Reef, I can see why some people dislike it. It is a small restaurant, good views of the tank no matter where you sit. I have seen some reports where people sitting right in front of the tank where being interrupted by children coming up to look at the fish, this really isn't Disney's fault though. As far as the food goes, It isn't the best restaurant we have ever ate at, but we have enjoyed everything that we have eaten here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!