Coronado Springs or Fort Wilderness Cabins - can't decide.

sarahothomas

Mouseketeer
I booked a bounce back offer for 6 nights at Coronado Springs in mid-May. I am now seeing the "Family Sun and Fun" deal going on and was immediately drawn to the cabins at Fort Wilderness. We will have a group of 4 adults, so the extra space is very appealing.

Here is my dilemma. Booking the cabin would add about $500 to my budget. We really just can't afford THAT much extra, but if we could save $200-$250 else where, it would be do-able for us. I see that the cabins have a microwave, full size fridge and 2 burner cook top, which makes me think maybe I could cook a couple dinners in the cabin to save on food costs. We are planning to rope drop every day and then take a 2-3 hour break in the afternoons before heading back to the park. Is it crazy to think I could cook a dinner in that span of time? I'm wondering if the extra space and other amenities are worth the trouble. On the other hand, I've never stayed at either resort and would be a hundred times more excited about staying in the cabins (I just like the theme and atmosphere more than CS).

What would you do?

I booked a bounce back offer for 6 nights at Coronado Springs in mid-May. I am now seeing the "Family Sun and Fun" deal going on and was immediately drawn to the cabins at Fort Wilderness. We will have a group of 4 adults, so the extra space is very appealing.

Here is my dilemma. Booking the cabin would add about $500 to my budget. We really just can't afford THAT much extra, but if we could save $200-$250 else where, it would be do-able for us. I see that the cabins have a microwave, full size fridge and 2 burner cook top, which makes me think maybe I could cook a couple dinners in the cabin to save on food costs. We are planning to rope drop every day and then take a 2-3 hour break in the afternoons before heading back to the park. Is it crazy to think I could cook a dinner in that span of time? I'm wondering if the extra space and other amenities are worth the trouble. On the other hand, I've never stayed at either resort and would be a hundred times more excited about staying in the cabins (I just like the theme and atmosphere more than CS).

What would you do?
We love the cabins. We would do that exact schedule. Rope drop, lunch in the park, head back to the cabin for a break, cook dinner and back to the parks in the evening. We did breakfast in the cabin too. It was nice having the big fridge. The cabins also have a grill which you can get charcoal for at the trading posts. The microwave is also a convection oven. We fixed frozen pizza and French fries.
The only thing that you'll want to consider is some people don't like how big the fort is. They have internal shuttles running all the time. Many people rent golf carts but if you're already stretching the budget, I'd just stick with the busses. If you request a loop closer to the front of the campground, you can walk to the main bus stop for epcot, AK, and dhs. The boat launch for mk is at the other end of the campground and you can take a bus down to the dock area.
Check out the camping at Disney forum for more discussions about the fort. https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

We love the cabins. We would do that exact schedule. Rope drop, lunch in the park, head back to the cabin for a break, cook dinner and back to the parks in the evening. We did breakfast in the cabin too. It was nice having the big fridge. The cabins also have a grill which you can get charcoal for at the trading posts. The microwave is also a convection oven. We fixed frozen pizza and French fries.
The only thing that you'll want to consider is some people don't like how big the fort is. They have internal shuttles running all the time. Many people rent golf carts but if you're already stretching the budget, I'd just stick with the busses. If you request a loop closer to the front of the campground, you can walk to the main bus stop for epcot, AK, and dhs. The boat launch for mk is at the other end of the campground and you can take a bus down to the dock area.
Check out the camping at Disney forum for more discussions about the fort. https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/
I didn't know about the microwaves being convection ovens! That is even better.
That is another drawback, all the walking. We are already slightly concerned for my mother-in-law with all the walking in the parks, so we'd want to minimize the walking around the resort. I'd be willing to wait around for internal buses knowing that we'd be saving so much time from not doing sit-down dinners.

https://**************.net/wp-conte...lderness-Resort-from-**************.net_2.jpg
Here's a map of the Fort. You can call and add a loop as a request. The 2500 loop is nice as it's small, close to the quiet pool, and near a bus stop.

https://**************.net/wp-conte...lderness-Resort-from-**************.net_2.jpg
Here's a map of the Fort. You can call and add a loop as a request. The 2500 loop is nice as it's small, close to the quiet pool, and near a bus stop.
Thank you!! Great map. Would we be able to drive to the boat launch and park somewhere? Or do we have to take internal shuttles and/or golf carts?

Thank you!! Great map. Would we be able to drive to the boat launch and park somewhere? Or do we have to take internal shuttles and/or golf carts?

No driving. All shuttles to all or you pay more for a golf cart. We love the cabin itself but did not enjoy the remoteness and lack of a resort feel. We had to walk to the end of the loop, get a bus that either took us to the dock then ferry to MK or to front gate where we had to get another bus. We ended up driving everywhere and not utilizing any of the amenities there.

It also puts you on a sofa bed, whereas CSR would be a real bed. You could save money, one week we cooked often in the cabin but it was winter and we weren't swimming and hours were shorter.

I would be hard pressed to book again unless much less than a resort room. It was just too much work for a Disney vacation.

There is no car parking there. There is golf cart parking. So yes the only options are to take the bus or golf carts. Some people also bike. If people are camping in one of the loops close to the dock, it would be easy to walk over too. The boat is a good option to get to the mk.

I would be hard pressed to book again unless much less than a resort room. It was just too much work for a Disney vacation.

This is what has me second guessing if I should switch to the cabin. I don't want to put too much stress on myself to cook dinner (almost) every day. Are the sofa beds bad? It would be my brother-in-law sleeping on it, my husband and I would get the bed thankfully.

This is what has me second guessing if I should switch to the cabin. I don't want to put too much stress on myself to cook dinner (almost) every day. Are the sofa beds bad? It would be my brother-in-law sleeping on it, my husband and I would get the bed thankfully.
The sofa bed is not the typical hotel sofa bed. It is a foam mattress, thicker than you see at most other chain hotels. My 11 year old slept on it and our cousin who is in her 60s slept on it. No complaints from them.

Haven't slept on it. Where is MIL sleeping?

Those that enjoy (love) the fort are those who enjoy camping and a campground atmosphere already. It's the best campground I've ever visited with the bonus of being a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. We are a family that rv camped alot when the kids were little and love it. It seems to me that people either love the fort and are part of it's cult following or they classify it as never again!

Haven't slept on it. Where is MIL sleeping?
Well, from @G719 post above, I think she could sleep on the sofa bed. BIL could sleep in the bunk bed or on our twin-sized blow up mattress. Looks like there's room in the kitchen/living area to set it up there.

Those that enjoy (love) the fort are those who enjoy camping and a campground atmosphere already. It's the best campground I've ever visited with the bonus of being a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. We are a family that rv camped alot when the kids were little and love it. It seems to me that people either love the fort and are part of it's cult following or they classify it as never again!
I love the *idea* of being a little more remote. While I'm sure we will want to allow more time for transportation at this resort, I think we are saving time in other ways. For example - when we went in December we waited FOREVER for all sit-down dining reservations. This was early December, not Christmas/New Years time. It was beyond frustrating to show up at 6:00 pm for a 6:20 pm reservation only to get seated at 7:15 pm and finally start eating at 7:45 pm. We are doing only 2 dining reservations this time, at the very most.

THIS^ We used to camp, a lot. Had a popup. It is the nicest campground I have ever seen. Our family with RV loves it and go often. If you are a camper the cabin will likely be great.

But if you are not a camper, I think they have really misled folks to think it's a moderate resort. It should have remained it's own category because it truly is an experience in itself. When we go to Disney, especially if staying onsite we want EASY transportation, we want to walk to main pool in a few minutes, we want a full food court, we don't want to work hard. When I want to drive to parks and cook, I am offsite in a large condo with tons of amenities.

Well, from @G719 post above, I think she could sleep on the sofa bed. BIL could sleep in the bunk bed or on our twin-sized blow up mattress. Looks like there's room in the kitchen/living area to set it up there.

Just so you know they are real bunk beds, they have frame at both ends so no hanging the feet off AND the bedroom is very small, so you would be right next to each other unless he climbed to top bunk. We stayed before the queen bed was added and it was quite cozy. Mattress should fit in kitchen.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/disneys-fort-wilderness-resort-refurbished-cabin-review/

Last edited:
THIS^ We used to camp, a lot. Had a popup. It is the nicest campground I have ever seen. Our family with RV loves it and go often. If you are a camper the cabin will likely be great.

But if you are not a camper, I think they have really misled folks to think it's a moderate resort. It should have remained it's own category because it truly is an experience in itself. When we go to Disney, especially if staying onsite we want EASY transportation, we want to walk to main pool in a few minutes, we want a full food court, we don't want to work hard. When I want to drive to parks and cook, I am offsite in a large condo with tons of amenities.

Just so you know they are real bunk beds, they have frame at both ends so no hanging the feet off AND the bedroom is very small, so you would be right next to each other unless he climbed to top bunk. We stayed before the queen bed was added and it was quite cozy. Mattress should fit in kitchen.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/disneys-fort-wilderness-resort-refurbished-cabin-review/
Thank you for all the information and tips! MIL is a very small woman but has back problems. BIL is a bigger guy but could fit the air mattress. I'm going to think on this for awhile. It's not an easy choice because even if we stay at Coronado, or any other moderate, we'd have to figure out a 3rd sleeping space. BIL has autism and is uncomfortable sharing beds with other people.

We just stayed in a cabin last week as a group of 2 adults (my husband and I) and 4 kids (between the ages of 11-17.) My husband and I took the sofa bed and we found it very comfortable.
While you can request a certain loop/location, there is no guarantee you will get that, and the cabins do involve a lot of walking. If your MIL has mobility issues I might consider either renting a golf cart (would add considerable expense) or doing CSR instead.

But I have to say, we LOVED the cabins! Absolutely NO issues with noise from neighbors because you are literally in your own little building! Being able to make coffee and a simple breakfast in the morning is great too! Rather than coming back mid day for a meal, we had our main meal in the parks around 2 each day, and then a light dinner when we came back to our cabin each night.

Thank you for all the information and tips! MIL is a very small woman but has back problems. BIL is a bigger guy but could fit the air mattress. I'm going to think on this for awhile. It's not an easy choice because even if we stay at Coronado, or any other moderate, we'd have to figure out a 3rd sleeping space. BIL has autism and is uncomfortable sharing beds with other people.

Welcome and understand.

DS1 is multi-disabled adult with many autistic qualities. Luckily he will sleep with his brother.

Food is definitely a way to save on the budget.

Not sure if you are using discounts but just glancing at rates ... in ballpark with cabin is AoA suites. That gives you bedroom, and in living space is a nice murphy bed and a sofabed. But only microwave ...

Cabin serves you in lots of ways, just explore the info to make sure the spread out nature is good for you all.

It is helpful to have as much information in the OP as possible, such as who will be in your party and if there are any special needs, etc., because answers can change as more information comes in later.

We've been pondering some of the same questions as you. We've had a couple of stays at CSR and love it there. It is absolutely gorgeous at night. We've visited the cabins and gone to dinner at Trail's End so we got to experience the buses. (A super LONG bus ride in the pouring rain!)

We've decided we'll probably do a cabin trip when both our kids are with us and they can bring a friend and rent a golf cart, etc. (Sleeping arrangements might still be tricky, and only one bathroom, also, may present some challenges.) We'll do a grocery delivery and plan to do some cooking and grilling, no big deal to us. There's a lot to do around the resort, and Trail's End is a nice buffet, too. I like that you can pull the car right up to the cabin.

With your MIL, I would say that you'd be best off at CSR, and I would book a Preferred category room so she wouldn't have to walk too far, it can be a very long walk to certain rooms there. I'd also consider renting a wheelchair if you think it will all be too much for her, even if you just want to walk around the resort. (They might have them there, not sure.) Granted, there are only two double beds. But perhaps you could split up you and your MIL, and your DH and BIL. OR, maybe pick up an air mattress for BIL for CSR. You can't cook but you can still get a grocery delivery for breakfast and lunch items (cereal, milk, danish, bread, cold cuts, yogurt, snacks, fruit, etc.) There's a fridge and coffee maker, and a microwave in the main bldg food area.

If you do the cabin, I would say put MIL in bunk bed and give BIL the pull out.

The family suites are nice, but one of the beds pulls down on the kitchen table (Murphy bed), if the person sleeping there wants to nap during the day it might be a little awkward. I would hate for anyone to be uncomfortable if they really want to rest, but they don't because people are there or awake talking, etc. Chances are, I'd just keep the Murphy bed down, but then you lose the table. So I'm not wild about the layout of those rooms for the price. I do like the separate bedroom and two bathrooms. For the high cost, though, you are still at a Value resort. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there aren't as many amenities as there are at the other resorts.)

There are a lot of other options if you're willing to go offsite or even to a Disney Springs resort, or to book one of the Deluxe resorts that sleep 5. (YC, BC, Poly, Contemporary, GF.) The day beds there are actually pretty big and comfortable, and the rooms are fairly large, as well. Sometimes you can find a discount. Look at the Garden Wing rooms at the CR. If a resort has construction going on, you can sometimes find a discount there. Also check out the Swan and Dolphin, you can get a cot there and the cot itself is fairly big. (There are some tricks to booking there so check the S&D thread here if you decide to check it out.) Tons of food options there. It might be more, but maybe not once you work the numbers; remember, you want everyone to be comfortable during their stay.

It is helpful to have as much information in the OP as possible, such as who will be in your party and if there are any special needs, etc., because answers can change as more information comes in later.

We've been pondering some of the same questions as you. We've had a couple of stays at CSR and love it there. It is absolutely gorgeous at night. We've visited the cabins and gone to dinner at Trail's End so we got to experience the buses. (A super LONG bus ride in the pouring rain!)

We've decided we'll probably do a cabin trip when both our kids are with us and they can bring a friend and rent a golf cart, etc. (Sleeping arrangements might still be tricky, and only one bathroom, also, may present some challenges.) We'll do a grocery delivery and plan to do some cooking and grilling, no big deal to us. There's a lot to do around the resort, and Trail's End is a nice buffet, too. I like that you can pull the car right up to the cabin.

With your MIL, I would say that you'd be best off at CSR, and I would book a Preferred category room so she wouldn't have to walk too far, it can be a very long walk to certain rooms there. I'd also consider renting a wheelchair if you think it will all be too much for her, even if you just want to walk around the resort. (They might have them there, not sure.) Granted, there are only two double beds. But perhaps you could split up you and your MIL, and your DH and BIL. OR, maybe pick up an air mattress for BIL for CSR. You can't cook but you can still get a grocery delivery for breakfast and lunch items (cereal, milk, danish, bread, cold cuts, yogurt, snacks, fruit, etc.) There's a fridge and coffee maker, and a microwave in the main bldg food area.

If you do the cabin, I would say put MIL in bunk bed and give BIL the pull out.

The family suites are nice, but one of the beds pulls down on the kitchen table (Murphy bed), if the person sleeping there wants to nap during the day it might be a little awkward. I would hate for anyone to be uncomfortable if they really want to rest, but they don't because people are there or awake talking, etc. Chances are, I'd just keep the Murphy bed down, but then you lose the table. So I'm not wild about the layout of those rooms for the price. I do like the separate bedroom and two bathrooms. For the high cost, though, you are still at a Value resort. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there aren't as many amenities as there are at the other resorts.)

There are a lot of other options if you're willing to go offsite or even to a Disney Springs resort, or to book one of the Deluxe resorts that sleep 5. (YC, BC, Poly, Contemporary, GF.) The day beds there are actually pretty big and comfortable, and the rooms are fairly large, as well. Sometimes you can find a discount. Look at the Garden Wing rooms at the CR. If a resort has construction going on, you can sometimes find a discount there. Also check out the Swan and Dolphin, you can get a cot there and the cot itself is fairly big. (There are some tricks to booking there so check the S&D thread here if you decide to check it out.) Tons of food options there. It might be more, but maybe not once you work the numbers; remember, you want everyone to be comfortable during their stay.
I wish I could love your post! Thank you so much. You gave me some very important things to think about and other options for resorts I hadn't considered yet. My head is spinning a little bit but I am very thankful for the feedback. I think a part of me just really really wants to experience the cabins but you are right - I want everyone's stay to be comfortable.

I'm not one who would want 4 adults in 1 moderate hotel room. You have the issue of your BIL not being able to share a bed, and those moderate rooms arent exactly spacious.

Will you have a car? If so, you can park right outside your cabin and drive to the parks, eliminating a lot of the transportation issues. Youll probably still have to take a bus to the settlement to get the boat for the MK, but isnt CSR still pretty big and spread out with similar transportation issues? We love the fort and only use disney transportation with no golf carts and really dont find it difficult or too time consuming. I do know that it is a complaint of some though.

As for food, we find being able to cook our own as a nice plus. Planning ahead and if you drive, bringing something like a crock pot can make it a quick job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!