Coronado vs. Saratoga?? Considering last minute change . . .

Anthony Vito

DIS Veteran
So . . . We have a short, kid-free getaway booked for August 3-7, get in late Friday night, leave Tuesday. We’re booked at Coronado with a pretty good deal. I was just looking, and there are discounted points available that would make Saratoga only about $10 more per night. Looking at some website’s DVC availability tool, it looks like Saratoga might actually have availability for that time.

We’re debating whether to try to switch to Saratoga. We’re not going to Magic Kingdom until the evening on that Saturday (have After Hours tickets), and are doing lunch in Disney Springs. So Saratoga’s proximity to Disney Springs would be great for that day. Otherwise, I’m not sure how much of a difference it would make. It looks like Coronado would actually be a closer bus ride to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.

We requested a refurbished room at Coronado, and those look very nice (stayed in a refurbished room at Pop for 1 night in April, really liked the new floors, etc.). I‘m also still just a little leery with renting points, having never done it - less control, etc. Additionally, I’m a big fan of maid service - just something about being on vacation for me is coming back to a cleaned room each afternoon. My wife couldn’t care less about that. Also, does anyone see any potential hiccups, should we go that route, with dropping the regular room reservation and getting the DVC points rental as far as already having our fastpasses, Magical Express, etc.?

Other than that first day, we’re not anticipating being at the resort a lot, and we really don’t know if it’s even worth the hassle of trying to switch it up at this point.

Thoughts?

If it were me, I'd stay at Coronado but I'm not a fan of Saratoga Springs - the resort is very nice I just don't love the theming and the resort IMO looks like an apartment complex. Where did you see the availability for SS renting points? I only question it bc a lot of websites list costs and availability in generalities but when you go to book DVC rentals, they're not available, unless it's an advertised last minute deal or someone renting their points direct, those dates may not truly be available.

I prefer CS for the maid service, location and odds of getting a renovated room. Plus if you won't be at the resort a bunch, I don't see any major pro in changing your reservation.

I believe if you switch your trip to DVC, your FP+ will remain intact as those are linked to ticket, not a resort reservation or package. As far as the bus, I would recommend you find out from the company renting the points. Most reputable DVC rental companies can provide ME bus service.

I really love Coronado as long as the pool is still open. I didn’t love SSR when I walked through it last year. I believe it has bigger rooms though if that is part of your reasoning.

I like Saratoga but much prefer Coronado (haven't stayed during the construction though). If it were me, I would keep the CSR reservation.

I'd recommend watching some of the construction videos on youtube. For me, CSR is in too much flux to constitute a relaxing vacation. You can also see some good vids on there so you can see SSR.

I've stayed at both during non-construction times. I normally would favor CSR because it is very picturesque. SSR is nice and clean and does have more space - for me though, it lacks in theme.

CSR is going to be closer to AK and SSR would be closer to MK ( over CSR ).

Thanks for the input - decided (for a lot of the reasons listed in the first reply and others) to stick with what we’ve got. Partially didn’t even want to deal with the hassle of trying to see if we could even make the change. If it had been one of the deluxes close to MK or on Crescent Lake, would have tried to make it happen. Just never been impressed enough by Saratoga from what I’ve seen online - just seems boring, and there’s not a big convenience factor there. If our kids were with us and it was the difference between a balcony or no balcony, that would be a much bigger factor (use the balcony for time to ourselves while they’re sleeping).

Thanks everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!