Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

So one person @GreatClips goes to work sick (w/Corona) and exposes 91 people. Imagine if this were the boat. While we’re still wondering how this is going to work when they open, I absolutely see people like this person who will cruise even if they don’t feel well. So outside of exposing all those people on the boat, it will be interesting how DCL will handle situations like this. Will they be quarantined? Will people be released only to be quarantined at home? At this point in the game, I don’t know that I see US ports not letting the ship back, but perhaps a plan on how to handle a scenario if exposure during cruising avoiding situations like prior to cruise shut down.

I met an acquaintance out in town who turned down a free mask I'd made and was passing out "I don't need masks" then told me a long story how she was sick in March with night fevers, bad cough, extreme fatigue for a week but how she kept going to work, and had her mom come to visit, saying "I just told her it was allergies, but I knew it wasn't."

This is the sort of person who would also have no problem getting on a cruise ship. If she's fever free at time of boarding, what would stop her?

I was of the same mind - I would have been thrilled to go no matter what, but the burden of flights and the prospect of no refund after PIF if there was a problem with my country or flights just made the stakes too high. I think at this point it is pretty irresponsible of DCL not to have more transparency about their cancellation plans when we can all see where this is going.

This is exactly how we felt. They didn’t seem to have any mitigation in place for ic our flight was cancelled or our country still locked down (UK) and if we PIF would we will be subject to cancellation fees. They couldn’t advise on how social distancing would be managed (other cruise lines have done this) , or if pools would be open etc.

Like you we cancelled rather than risk losing money. Just as well, because when we return to the UK we may have to do 14 days isolation, which would be difficult with work as school.
I did ask the question if the cruise went ahead and we were able to fly etc. Could we book and was told very categorically no.

I know it’s unprecedented circumstances, but I do feel a little let down by the lack of information from DCL.

That is incredible news. I really thought I was out of luck!

I called them up and just asked if it was possible to rescheadle for another cruise if we never felt comfortable going

she then said I can just give you a full refund if you wish, was not expecting that at all

we we’re on one of the sept European cruises and she said I really can’t see any way these sailings will take place anyway

I called them up and just asked if it was possible to rescheadle for another cruise if we never felt comfortable going

she then said I can just give you a full refund if you wish, was not expecting that at all

we we’re on one of the sept European cruises and she said I really can’t see any way these sailings will take place anyway
Wow, I wonder if anyone else has had any similar experiences? Maybe they are allowing people to now cancel cruises they already have decided internally will not sail, before any official announcement?

I'm not surprised. I can't see how any European or Canadian cruises would be possible this year at all.

When DCL resumes cruising, they're going to start conservatively, with their bread & butter (and close to home) Bahamian & Caribbean cruises.

I'm not surprised. I can't see how any European or Canadian cruises would be possible this year at all.

When DCL resumes cruising, they're going to start conservatively, with their bread & butter (and close to home) Bahamian & Caribbean cruises.
I'm not surprised they're probably not happening, I'm surprised a DCL employe would say it to a customer!

Last edited:
I'm not surprised they're probably not happening, I'm surprised a DCL employe would say it to a customer!
I actually wouldn't be surprised if they are being encouraged to offer refunds to folks for the cruises that are no longer available to book on the website. Easier to process the whole thing in a single transaction as a total refund, rather than a partial refund now and a refund of the deposit later when they do (inevitably) cancel.

Although they announced it a few days ago, I only just saw it, but Virgin Voyages have cancelled all cruises until mid October.

I know their circumstances are totally different to most/all other lines, but I cant help but think they're being the most realistic right now.

Although this does show a trend, Virgin only have 1 cruise ship and have never sailed their inaugural cruise so they are a completely different kettle of fish to Disney who have been sailing for years and others.

I really don't know when the cruise industry will open up but we are starting to see signs that the world is opening up. None of us I think could have predicted how quickly the world would shut down and I don't think any of us truly know when it will start up again. I do not have concerns about sailing not because I'm oblivious but I believe that companies will try to mitigate the risks. Nowhere is fully free of COVID so you could pick it up anywhere and I don't think that anyone can put their life on hold for ever waiting on it to disappear as it wont. Yes there are unique risks to being onboard a cruise ship but there are also measures that I am sure they can and will put in place to help protect people. Until they start up known of us really know but I am still planning on my October cruise

September cruises haven't hit their PIF date, that is why those of you with Aug cruises are having an issue with refunds but Sept cruises aren't. We are booked on the Fantasy Sept 4th and we have until June 5th to cancel and get a refund. Even if you have already PIF, until you hit the "PIF date" you can get a refund.

Web says Disney World is reopening July 11th but can't find any announcement from Disney. Where are they getting this? If parks open then hopefully DCL will follow.

Web says Disney World is reopening July 11th but can't find any announcement from Disney. Where are they getting this? If parks open then hopefully DCL will follow.
It was just approved by the Orange County Economy Recovery Task Force. July 11 for MK/AK and July 15 for EPCOT and DHS. DCL is still a long ways off. It will be the last of Disney properties to open per management.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter