DCL Costco Paying with Disney Gift Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call back & try again, as this either just isn't right & they're both ignorant (which is possible as Disney's rules are often different from other cruise lines), or they just recently changed the policy, because I paid Costco with Disney gift cards last year. If you talk to a manager again who insists you can't, ask them when the policy changed, because Costco used to allow that. If they say it's never been policy it means they're just clueless. I'm still assuming they're clueless as they're saying you can pay off a Disney cruise with a Costco Shop Card, which is impossible as the money goes directly to Disney, not Costco.
I will call back tomorrow and try again! I was hoping they were clueless, but when I asked him to confirm with a manager and the response was the same I started to wonder. After I try again, I will report back so if the policy did change, no one else purchases gift cards that they can not apply towards their trip! Thank you!

when I asked him to confirm with a manager and the response was the same I started to wonder.
It sounds like you asked him to talk to a supervisor for you. Maybe he did, or maybe he just asked a senior colleague who's sitting next to him instead of a supervisor- and there's no telling how clearly he phrased the question, which he might not have fully understood. I would ask to actually speak to the supervisor, & not "can you check with a supervisor?". You want to talk to someone more senior yourself, & be sure that the supervisor is getting the correct question. Again, if the supervisor insists you can't use a gift card, ask when the policy changed to assure that they know that customers have traditionally been able to do that. Let us know how the conversation goes. If you hit a dead end I'll call myself as I have a cruise that I can put a payment on.

Last edited:
It sounds like you asked him to talk to a supervisor for you. Maybe he did, or maybe he just asked a senior colleague who's sitting next to him instead of a supervisor- and there's no telling how clearly he phrased the question, which he might not have fully understood. I would ask to actually speak to the supervisor, & not "can you check with a supervisor?". You want to talk to someone more senior yourself, & be sure that the supervisor is getting the correct question. Again, if the supervisor insists you can't use a gift card, ask when the policy changed to assure that they know that customers have traditionally been able to do that (to ascertain their level of knowledge). Let us know how the conversation goes. If you hit a dead end I'll call myself as I have a cruise that I can put a payment on.
I will! I hope I have good news!

Is this only at Costco or if you used a different TA they can do the same and call Disney to apply the GCs? Thanks

Is this only at Costco or if you used a different TA they can do the same and call Disney to apply the GCs? Thanks
I have paid for multiple DCL cruises with Disney gift cards with Dream Unlimited as my TA. Their website to make payments allows you to enter the gift card number. If you need to use multiple giftcards, you need to make multiple payment transactions, but there is no phone call involved

Thanks right now you can get the $500 at Sam’s for $485 and if you have discover card get an additional 5% back so double dip.

As of January 1, 2021, Costco stopped taking Disney gift cards. Stinks because the trip was actually cheaper for once through Costco!
Edited to say that I see below that this is not about Disney cruises, and that they still take Disney gift cards, which makes sense.

Last edited:
That's awful. Thanks for letting everyone know. Doesn't make sense as to why, as the money goes directly to DCL and they still take gift cards.
He explained it as contracts expired and it changed what they could accept. No idea how that works! But this representative seemed much more familiar with the situation and confident in his response.

I just called Costco and had no problem applying my 2 Disney gift cards to my cruise. Whew! I was freaking out because they were $1000 each.

I just called Costco and had no problem applying my 2 Disney gift cards to my cruise. Whew! I was freaking out because they were $1000 each.
I was trying to book a new Disney World reservation. Maybe Disney Cruise/Disney World is different or maybe because it was a brand new reservation. I wish it wasn’t the case because the Costco reservation was almost $400 less (vs direct with Disney) for 8 days at a moderate so combined with the 2% for being an executive member and all the Disney gift card deals it would have made for an amazing deal!

I see. So the cruise reservations must be different from the land reservations. If you have the Costco Visa, I believe it will give you an additional 3%. I know it’s not as good as some of the Giftcard savings but it’s something.

I was trying to book a new Disney World reservation. Maybe Disney Cruise/Disney World is different or maybe because it was a brand new reservation. I wish it wasn’t the case because the Costco reservation was almost $400 less (vs direct with Disney) for 8 days at a moderate so combined with the 2% for being an executive member and all the Disney gift card deals it would have made for an amazing deal!
You posted this question on the Disney Cruise Line Board, so yes, we thought you were talking about cruises. Disney Cruise Line and Disney World operate separately, and Costco books them differently.

Glad to hear it hasn't changed. Thanks for clarifying.

LAX

I posted the original thread and it was meant to be about DCL - not sure why whole thread got moved.
It got taken over by a new poster & became active again, & gave the misleading impression that Costco doesn't take Disney gift cards for Disney cruises. The poster had been talking about Disney World, which she only clarified later (brand new to Disboards so she hadn't checked the forum), so it had confused a lot of people by saying Costco had changed their policy (& they haven't). It was moved for clarity's sake.

Last edited:
Ok, since it took me way too long to figure out why this mostly 2019 DCL thread showed up here on the Disney Resorts Board, closing to avoid further confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter