Costume dilemma WWYD?

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
I am training for my 4th Disneyland Paris run weekend. And I always love everyone in costume, and people going all out or just having Disney/Marvel/Star Wars inspired costumes. It just adds to the entire atmosphere.

2016 (inaugural run): I did the half, I had no idea what to expect, so I just ran in my regular training outfit. I didn't stop for pictures as I was too afraid of being too slow and getting kicked out. Still regret it as I ran pass Jasmine and the Sultan with a very short line.
2017: I did the 10 and the half, I wanted to do costume, but no time to look into things. I did stop for many pictures, there were some good rare characters out, all fun memories.
2018: I did the 5, the 10 and the half, I didn't stop for pictures during the 5 because the Marvel theme isn't my thing, during the 10 I stopped for one, didn't stop during the half because of the rain and wind and I wanted the run to be over as soon as possible ( and I got stuck in one of the last corrals, causing long lines for good characters).
For 2017 and 2018 I ran in the shirts we received from Disney.

2019 is coming up, with again the 5, the 10 and the half on the programme. I do have time to think about it, but I am not very crafty and I do not see myself sew something myself. So the remaining option is to buy a costume. I've seen some very nice things on Etsy.
Here's my dilemma, I am afraid that I won't stop for pictures again, either due to long lines, bad weather or characters I can see any time around the park. And it will be basically a waste of money to buy 1 or 2 or 3 costumes ($50 per costume). There will be more runs in the future, I think, so it could be an investment but I'm still hesitant.

What are the opinions here on costumes? Would you buy a costume if there is a chance it will not be used to the full extent?

I almost never stop for photos, but would wear a costume. I don’t think that the point of the costume is to stop for pix with characters. As a person who hasn’t work a costume, I delight in seeing the creativity of others and the prettiness of the costumes etc. I am seeing those people in person and don’t need their photos, and I hope that they derive satisfaction from the smiles they get from others.

Does Paris have characters out before the corrals, like princess does?

How about a sparkle skirt and fun headband? You can Disneybound by getting a sparkle skirt in your fave princess’ signature color and then wear a normal athletic top with it. I like women’s running skirts from Sparkle Athletic. And they usually sell cool headbands at the expo, I’ve seen crown/tiara ones before.

The nicest thing doing a “costume” like this is that you can wear the sparkle skirt for other races too. It can function as normal running gear if you don’t want to use it as part of a costume.

I almost never stop for photos, but would wear a costume. I don’t think that the point of the costume is to stop for pix with characters. As a person who hasn’t work a costume, I delight in seeing the creativity of others and the prettiness of the costumes etc. I am seeing those people in person and don’t need their photos, and I hope that they derive satisfaction from the smiles they get from others.

Does Paris have characters out before the corrals, like princess does?

The Disney Runs are still quite new, and in the past three years there were different things each year. I think in 2016 or 2017 they had characters in the last 50m before the finish, Daisy, Goofy, Donald, Chip&Dale in run wear, and Minnie and Mickey at the finish.

But it really depends on where they will have the start and the finish this year.

How about a sparkle skirt and fun headband? You can Disneybound by getting a sparkle skirt in your fave princess’ signature color and then wear a normal athletic top with it. I like women’s running skirts from Sparkle Athletic. And they usually sell cool headbands at the expo, I’ve seen crown/tiara ones before.

The nicest thing doing a “costume” like this is that you can wear the sparkle skirt for other races too. It can function as normal running gear if you don’t want to use it as part of a costume.

I've never run in a skirt and a headband, but I should give it a try. :) I'll have a look at Sparkle Athletics. Let's see if they ship to Europe.

I think Disneybounding would be your easiest and most cost effective way! Get the costume feeling, yet all the pieces could be worn separately in the future :)

I have run in both costume and Disney bounding and never, ever stop for characters. But I get all my race photos just running on the course and that’s worth it to me! I’ve never run DL Paris but I’m guessing there are photogs just out on the course? I’d ease into it if I were you and maybe do a Disney bound type thing like others suggested.

I have run in both costume and Disney bounding and never, ever stop for characters. But I get all my race photos just running on the course and that’s worth it to me! I’ve never run DL Paris but I’m guessing there are photogs just out on the course? I’d ease into it if I were you and maybe do a Disney bound type thing like others suggested.

Yes, there are, but I hate my run pictures as my face looks like a tomato and I look out of breath and like someone is torturing me :P When I stop for a character, as there is a bit of a wait, I can catch my breath, the blood can drain back from my face to my body and the picture looks kind of decent.

I don't sew and didn't spend anything near $50 on my Anna costume last year. I bought a $5 black tank top from Target and made iron-ons with my Cricut (could have just as easily cut them by hand, or painted them on with fabric paint or puffy paint). The skirt was $12 on Amazon (wore it over my usual running shorts), the cape was $6, and the crown was $10 (but wasn't even necessary seeing as Anna doesn't even actually have a crown - I just can't imagine running Disney without one! lol).

I also put together an Ariel costume that I didn't end up wearing because I skipped the 5K. I don't have any pics but it was a Mermaid print skirt for $10 from Ragstock, purple running tank from Target for $10, and bright red wig from Amazon for $12.

You can always also get a tutu-type skirt (very inexpensive and very cute) that can also be used anytime with any costume change :) I would absolutely get dressed up - I don't stop to take pics most times but I do it because it puts me in the "Disney" state of mind and it's just more fun to be a part of it like that :) also there are really cute tights that you can pair up with a top and headband to make it into a costume (no assembly required ;) )

I guess we all have different definitions of "full extent," but when I think about costumes, I don't consider photographs as my guiding force. To me, it's the idea of dressing up that's fun and helps lift my mood as well as others around me. I mean, you've already done a number of races and I'm sure you've enjoyed just seeing what others were wearing. Sure, it's cool in pictures, but I don't think it's a costume going to waste if you don't take a ton of pictures. You have a lot of great suggestions above, but no matter what you do, I wouldn't let the possibility of not taking a ton of pictures keep you from dressing up if you think it would add to your fun and enjoyment. :)

Just do it and have fun... if you happen to be able to take a pic here and there, then consider that a bonus to your fun :)

To me, it's the idea of dressing up that's fun and helps lift my mood as well as others around me.

This!!!

This past year, I did the Marathon Weekend's 5K and half. For the 5K, I had a shirt with a memorable quote (Unless you faint, puke or die, keep going) and it was a nice icebreaker to start chatting with complete strangers. For the half, I had an Etsy made shirt that had Sleeping Beauty's "make it pink, make it blue" on the back. For a couple of miles (LONG highway miles), this guy and I kept passing each other - him saying make it blue (the shirt was pink) as he passed me and I would return with make it pink as I passed him. It was a lot of fun and helped me (and I hope him) pass the time.

I have a friend who does iron-on vinyl for shirts and she is going to add a Disney quote to a regular running shirt ($8 from Kohl's) and voila! I'm set for next year's Princess half. So it definitely doesn't have to be super expensive.

I ran my first princess half marathon at WDW last year. I wanted something to wear, but I knew I would be completely annoyed by a tutu or other things touching my body. I really don't even like to run with sunglasses on, so I knew I couldn't do anything major. Two of my daughters ran with me. I went to a fabric store (hobby lobby) and bought some Beauty and the Beast themed Disney fabric and some wide elastic and made 3 running skirts. We all bought yellow/gold running shirts. I know that I didn't have $20 tied up in all of it. Don't know that I'll ever wear them again. My DH also ran with us, but he refused to even wear a shirt that said "Beast" on it. He's a good man for running a princess race with me anyway, so I can't complain. :) My DH and I are going to the do the challenge this Feb. so I'll have to decide about the 10K and the half. I'll probably do something similar. If you haven't checked out pinterest, there are great inspirations there too. Good luck with your race!

I costumes before but for the last few races Ive legit just done a Sparkle Skirt with a Disney inspired tank. Either from Etsy, Amazon, or Raw Threads...there are so many to choose from now. So much more comfortable too!!

Okay, I gave in :P
A lot is going on in my life and I can barely manage to stick to my training schedule, let alone find the time to be creative. I decided to go to Etsy and pay for someone else to be creative, https://www.etsy.com/shop/SundayMorningActive
and got myself 2 run dresses, I had planned on only getting a Giselle shirt, but then I saw the Te Fiti dress. While discussing some details about the shirt with the designer, she asked if I wanted to have a Giselle-dress instead, which wasn't on sale yet. So I said yes :) They are just delivered and they fit just perfectly, the fabric is very comfortable. The designer was very nice to communicate with and she was flexible and giving suggestions, if anyone else is looking for one with good reviews, go to her.

The theme for the 5K is Adventure for which I'll wear the Te Fiti dress, and the 10K is princesses for which I have Giselle, the half marathon I'll do in a regular run shirt to be as comfortable as possible. Now to figure out what to do with my hair...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter