Could Riviera Resale Restrictions Be Pushing Some To Resale?

I think people may be pushed into resale for now, but this is a long game for Disney. After about 2042 resale may be all but dead, when the original 14 are expired and/or the pickings are increasingly slim.

I don't think so. As KAT says (below) there will STILL be some nice resorts, AND, Renting your points out will be worth more than ever, because Disney will have cranked up their room prices to an Insane amount (if it isn't already).

In 2043 there will still be SSR, OKW, AKV, BLT, VGC, Aulani, VGF, PVB and CCV for another 12-26 years. Still a pretty nice portfolio to chose from. And all we know for certain is Riviera and Reflections. We might expect another 2-3 resorts if they continue being able to build at the same rate. So still 9 vs 4 or 5. And in that time DVC will want to continue with price increases.

Disney keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They put resale restrictions on Riviera, and restrictions on L14 buyers to keep them from using Riviera, and they say that it is to increase the value of a Direct purchase. (Which is, to increase their own Direct Purchase sales.) But what happens? Many people who are passionate about Disney, people who know and understand how Disney works, people who have already demonstrated their willingness to spend a ton of money on Disney (because they already own DVC) have now decided to shift away from Direct purchases.

Everytime that Disney tries to drive down the price of resales, if they are successful, all they end up doing is increasing the purchase of Resales, because:

1. Lower Resale price means you now save EVEN MORE money by not buying Direct.

2. It make people focus more on what is really important about DVC, and that is saving money on vacations. Taking away Perks just makes people pay attention to value. Then they look and see they still get the same great vacation, for less than Direct. So they don't buy Direct.

I mean, wow, Disney. Could you really be any more stupid. I am SURE that all these restrictions over the years have had a net effect that is just the opposite of what Disney wanted.

Some very good points made here. I am interested in Riviera, plan to check it out at Christmas in the flesh to see what it is like. I think it has been selling well because it is relatively cheap to buy at the moment compared to other resorts. I was planning on maybe buying a 100+ pointer there, until I saw these resale restrictions, that put me right off. If they hadn't been there, I suspect my money would have been down even without my planned recce. I will now likely wait (if I like it) and see what it is in 2 years when the resale prices are stabalised. If I can get it cheap enough, I may buy then- so just like Fred it has potentially pushed a direct buyer to resale- quite the opposite of what was intended.
I also wonder if it was the normal price now, say $200+ a point, would buyers be quite so happy to overlook the resale restrictions? Maybe DVD will supress the price of their own product direct? I appreciate though 90% of new 'punters' don't have a clue. And they are not being told according to reports.

I don't think so. As KAT says (below) there will STILL be some nice resorts, AND, Renting your points out will be worth more than ever, because Disney will have cranked up their room prices to an Insane amount (if it isn't already).

Disney keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They put resale restrictions on Riviera, and restrictions on L14 buyers to keep them from using Riviera, and they say that it is to increase the value of a Direct purchase. (Which is, to increase their own Direct Purchase sales.) But what happens? Many people who are passionate about Disney, people who know and understand how Disney works, people who have already demonstrated their willingness to spend a ton of money on Disney (because they already own DVC) have now decided to shift away from Direct purchases.

Everytime that Disney tries to drive down the price of resales, if they are successful, all they end up doing is increasing the purchase of Resales, because:

1. Lower Resale price means you now save EVEN MORE money by not buying Direct.

2. It make people focus more on what is really important about DVC, and that is saving money on vacations. Taking away Perks just makes people pay attention to value. Then they look and see they still get the same great vacation, for less than Direct. So they don't buy Direct.

I mean, wow, Disney. Could you really be any more stupid. I am SURE that all these restrictions over the years have had a net effect that is just the opposite of what Disney wanted.

Ever since they decided they needed to stay with the restrictions I’ve felt like they too often forget what their core offer is. A deluxe accommodation onsite near the most popular theme parks in the world. (Setting aside their rather dismal forays into offsite and not dismal because of the resorts per se but dismal because they haven’t performed as well). There will always be people that do look at the value, not all buyers are complete pixie dusters.

Some very good points made here. I am interested in Riviera, plan to check it out at Christmas in the flesh to see what it is like. I think it has been selling well because it is relatively cheap to buy at the moment compared to other resorts. I was planning on maybe buying a 100+ pointer there, until I saw these resale restrictions, that put me right off. If they hadn't been there, I suspect my money would have been down even without my planned recce. I will now likely wait (if I like it) and see what it is in 2 years when the resale prices are stabalised. If I can get it cheap enough, I may buy then- so just like Fred it has potentially pushed a direct buyer to resale- quite the opposite of what was intended.
I also wonder if it was the normal price now, say $200+ a point, would buyers be quite so happy to overlook the resale restrictions? Maybe DVD will supress the price of their own product direct? I appreciate though 90% of new 'punters' don't have a clue. And they are not being told according to reports.

With ALL the hype of Riviera and the new Skyliner doesn’t it make you wonder if they wouldn’t have been better to have no restrictions, charge a bit more and used all that hype towards selling and not alienating any potential buyers? Booking issues already have people going more and more towards the thought of buy where you want to stay.

It's unlikely to make any real difference but you'll find a few that say so. Remember this group is not the average buyer but even those who understand the risks and limitations will often follow their emotions even if their brain says differently.

It's unlikely to make any real difference but you'll find a few that say so. Remember this group is not the average buyer but even those who understand the risks and limitations will often follow their emotions even if their brain says differently.

Exactly right. The pretty sales center with the models, ice cream, and POG juice is much more persuasive than the facebook group or these boards. And a lot more people go there, too. I suspect at least half of all owners -- probably a lot more -- don't even fully understand what they've bought or how to really utilize it efficiently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter