Counter service and other hacks for T2 Diabetes

Bunless

DIS Veteran
I tried doing some searches, but nothing is quite matching what I'm looking for, and it seems like the DisAbilities board is really geared toward WDW...

DH is a type 2 Diabetic. We used to be regulars at DL, but because of familial obligations in Florida, have been more at WDW the past few years. We are also DVC members. At WDW we are able to navigate dietary needs because we have, at the least, a kitchenette. We are planning on having a couple of trips to DL this next year, but will NOT be staying in DVC units (though still staying at Grand Californian).

We are curious about
--what counter service hacks are available at DL. I remember that you could do a lot al la carte, but are there other tips? some locations better than others?
--what is available at the GC Craftsman to put in the fridge other than milk?
--any other tips, tricks, favorites?

I tried doing some searches, but nothing is quite matching what I'm looking for, and it seems like the DisAbilities board is really geared toward WDW...
I would post your questions on the disABILITIES! board, too, just to increase the number of responses you'll get. There are DLR people who post there, so casting a wider net should get you more answers!

There was a thread about eating paleo. Maybe a search for that will help.

I can also suggest eating the skewers at Bengal BBQ - you can ask for no sauce which will help. The fruit carts often have hard boiled eggs and hummus. I think I've also seen carrots and celery there.

I feel like most counter service will have options if you tell them you want a diabetic friendly option, but I haven't needed to do that. Ordering stuff without buns, sauce, potatoes, etc., is easy to do. We do things like that often.

--what is available at the GC Craftsman to put in the fridge other than milk?...
Some people have groceries delivered to their hotel using Vons.com, Amazon (prime, fresh, etc.). If you use Lansky's Car Service from the airport, they include a short grocery stop on the way to the hotel. Lansky's gets very good reviews here. There is a 24/7 CVS and a Walgreens at the intersection of Harbor and Katella -- and a 7-11 at that intersection, too -- for some groceries (produce, dairy, cereals, snacks, beverages, etc.). Perhaps these options would help expand your choices for food in the hotel room.

People have also reported using Ubereats, Grubhub, and other food delivery services to have meals delivered from local restaurants, so that would increase your food choices quite a bit. There are restaurants at GardenWalk on Katella (about a 10-15 minute walk from the parks) which offer more choices. Someone recently posted about having one meal each day delivered from the Cheesecake Factory there. That was big enough for 2 people to share (a large salad with protein and maybe an appetizer). They had it delivered to their hotel, but could have walked to GardenWalk if they had chosen to do so

Another option is staying offsite with a kitchenette. We stay at homewood suites but I know there are many more options. Then get grocery delivery there. Included breakfast and m-th dinners are buffet so he could see what options would work. Uber/lyft to the parks.

My husband was just diagnosed with T2 yesterday and we are headed to the Parks in July. I'd love to hear any other tips and tricks people have, and the best places to eat. We tend to stick with counter service meals, so suggests for that would be greatly appreciated! (Also we drive, so I always bring PLENTY of our own food!)
Thanks!

Another option is staying offsite with a kitchenette. We stay at homewood suites but I know there are many more options. Then get grocery delivery there. Included breakfast and m-th dinners are buffet so he could see what options would work. Uber/lyft to the parks.
I think that that is a great option for most people. We are using our DVC points to stay onsite, though, even though it is not a DVC unit.

Some people have groceries delivered to their hotel using Vons.com, Amazon (prime, fresh, etc.). If you use Lansky's Car Service from the airport, they include a short grocery stop on the way to the hotel. Lansky's gets very good reviews here. There is a 24/7 CVS and a Walgreens at the intersection of Harbor and Katella -- and a 7-11 at that intersection, too -- for some groceries (produce, dairy, cereals, snacks, beverages, etc.). Perhaps these options would help expand your choices for food in the hotel room.
I like the idea of Lansky's. We have been trying to figure out what to do for transportation, this might push us in their direction.

I don't have firsthand experience with managing T2, but just wanted to put it out there that if there are CS dishes that are close to what fits your diet, most sides can be substituted for veggies and some entrees can be served with sauces on the side to help fit within your dietary needs.

I started trying to eat a bit cleaner, which can seem difficult at Disneyland. It's all about getting a bit creative when looking at the menus to adjust it to fit your needs.

I really enjoy the Paradise Garden Grill Mediterranean menu, which is usually available in the summer and should be diabetic-friendly if the pita is substituted for another side. I believe several CS restaurants serve a half-chicken w/ mash potatoes that can be substituted for seasoned veggies. There are a variety of salads with protein at several CS restaurants and you could request the dressing on the side, so you wouldn't be stuck with just plain side salads. River Belle Terrace has Fried Green Tomatoes for breakfast (not always open in the mornings) that would probably be perfect and filling if you just scrape off the breading before eating it. Just take a look at the menus, and think of adjustments that can be made to suit your tastes. Hope this helps!

I don't have firsthand experience with managing T2, but just wanted to put it out there that if there are CS dishes that are close to what fits your diet, most sides can be substituted for veggies and some entrees can be served with sauces on the side to help fit within your dietary needs.

I started trying to eat a bit cleaner, which can seem difficult at Disneyland. It's all about getting a bit creative when looking at the menus to adjust it to fit your needs.

I really enjoy the Paradise Garden Grill Mediterranean menu, which is usually available in the summer and should be diabetic-friendly if the pita is substituted for another side. I believe several CS restaurants serve a half-chicken w/ mash potatoes that can be substituted for seasoned veggies. There are a variety of salads with protein at several CS restaurants and you could request the dressing on the side, so you wouldn't be stuck with just plain side salads. River Belle Terrace has Fried Green Tomatoes for breakfast (not always open in the mornings) that would probably be perfect and filling if you just scrape off the breading before eating it. Just take a look at the menus, and think of adjustments that can be made to suit your tastes. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much!! That's very helpful!!

I follow low carb and there are lots of options that are workable.
I think the turkey legs, bunless cheeseburgers lots of places, or hot dog, salads are available most places, skewers at Bengal, and I think there are dill pickles a few places, eggs for breakfasts at a few places Flo’s, and plaza inn I think? The citrus chicken at El Zocalo, steaks or ribs at several of the nicer restaurants (blue bayou). I sub veggies or side salads for potatoes, rice & beans, etc.

we definitely pack a lot of snacks into the park too. Nuts, LC protein bars, cheese sticks in a small cooler/lunch bag, bags of cheese crisps (low carb), slim Jim’s, pepperoni), I’ve even brought in tuna salad once :).

Have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!