Courtyard Theme Park or Residence Inn Conv??

kittycruize

Mouseketeer
Hello,
We are coming to DL for the first time after going to WDW too many times to count! Our question is, should we stay at Courtyard Theme Park, or the Residence Inn Convention area? The Residence offers free bfast, and is a bit cheaper, but the Courtyard seems so much closer? Is it that much closer? Is the walk safer at night to the Courtyard? I think at this point tht is our main consideration. We are used to staying on property at WDW. What would the walk back be like at either, say at 10 at night? Any advice would be appreciated! We were also considering the Homewood suites, but I think that is farther still.

Courtyard

Nicest off site property in reasonable walking distance IMO

Courtyard is a 5-7 min walk...RI is more like 15 min.

Both are super safe areas. Just spent a week for a work project at the Springhill Suites literally next door to the RI and we were retuning all hours of the night with not a peep of a concern

Courtyard has a much better pool area. RI is over a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and a 24/7 CVS. As pp said, the Courtyard is a bit closer walk, but the RI isn't a bad walk at all. Both hotels are in safe areas.

The Homewood Suites is right next to the Toy Story Parking Lot and you can walk there and ride in. We did that all last year when we had our APs. Still will take longer time wise than Courtyard would walking and I don’t know how things are working today (I think I heard they are doing security now at the parking lot so you bypass it when you are dropped off?)

We *love* homewood suites. But it’s about a 20 min mid-paced walk. Next trip with our kids they’ll be able to legally sit in boosters. We’re getting bubble bums and ubering at least one way to the park.

We've stayed at both multiple times. We are early 30s, 4 kids 7 and under.

Courtyard - awesome for the bunk beds alone. Everyone gets a bed. The space is made usable (big space by the door was perfect for the stroller.) Small fridge. Close walk. No breakfast - panera and mcd are in the parking lot. My kids loved the water park although it was pretty cold even in October.

RI - suites, so tons of space and the room doesn't look like a bomb went off. With little kids/babies we tend to need to pack snacks/baby food/milk so the full size kitchen is really useful for us (we get a grocery delivery.) We have a double stroller, and it's nice to have a bigger suite when you're toting baby gear like a stroller and car seats. Longer walk - somewhere around 12 minutes. We don't mind, we're pretty athletic and our kids don't mind in the morning and they're all in the stroller at night. Our disney plans never involve going back to the hotel midday, so distance isn't as big a factor. we do take full advantage of the free breakfast - it's huge and it saves us a meal in the parks b/c we don't really need lunch.

For us I would say they are about equal all things considered, and we go with whichever has the cheapest rates. Different factors may make more of a difference for you. If price was equal, I *may* lean towards courtyard purely for the bunk bed factor but I can't be sure. the RI is really nice.

ETA we don't leave park until late at night, so we are always walking back in the dark. there are TONS. TONS. of people leaving the parks walking the exact same way, and it's in no way unsafe. I've done it myself when I went back out to go get late dinner. It's right across from the toy story lot so it will always be pretty populated.

We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Theme Park Entrance last July during a massive heat wave and they were great! It was me DH, DD18, DS16 and DD9 and the staff was great! They provided water in the lobby and made sure everyone was ok. My kids enjoyed the pool and the water slides. We were able to see the fireworks from the pool at night. The walk is literally 5min from the front lobby to the security check point add an additional 2min for the excessively long light at the Disneyland entrance, lol. One night I stayed for the 2nd Fantasmic show which ended at 11 and I was in my hotel room by 11:10 and that's with navigating the crowds. The room was much bigger than I was expecting too. I stayed in a standard room with a view of the parking lot no balcony but it was too hot to sit outside anyway. I liked that it had 2 Queen beds and a twin size bunk bed so everyone had an actual bed and not a sleeper sofa. The pictures make it look much smaller than it is. My son was 5'4" at the time and he fit just fine. I really liked that the bathroom had 2 showers so multiple people could get ready at the same time. One of the showers was a tub/shower combo. They don't have a continental breakfast but I bought food at the local Target before I checked in. The room also has a microwave, mini fridge and a long dresser/desk, and a large closet with a safe. They have a Disney Themed gift shop in the lobby and a Disney help desk next to the check in desk by the entry doors. We had a rental car that they valet parked. I think it was $20 a night. I would stay there again if I couldn't stay on property.

It kind of depends on the age of your kids and if the pool with slides is important. If the bed set up works at Residence Inn that sounds like a much better deal if you have a few people. Free breakfast is a giant savings. The walk is longer but it is an easier and nicer walk for sure. You don't have to cross busy streets with Residence Inn, which means you don't get stuck in a pack of people. It is also not an uphill walk. Courtyard feels like there is a giant hill on the way home (there is not but that is how it feels after a full day in the parks). Once we stopped needing so many sleeping surfaces, Courtyard lost its appeal. Our favorite for a trip with a few kids is the Springhill Suites right next to Residence Inn. I guess what I am trying to say is the if Residence Inn wins on all other fronts, don't let the walk be the deciding factor.

The kids are 5 kids from 8 to 13 years old, so we are wondering which pool would be better? Is the Courtyard geared towards younger kids? The kids really like a pool more than slides actually. We do take an afternoon break always. I guess mainly we can walk another 5 minutes if the RI is cheaper, which it is, and free breakfast. As long as the pool area would be fun for a little older kids? Mainly we are worried about safety at 11:30 at night on the walk back.

The kids are 5 kids from 8 to 13 years old, so we are wondering which pool would be better? Is the Courtyard geared towards younger kids? The kids really like a pool more than slides actually. We do take an afternoon break always. I guess mainly we can walk another 5 minutes if the RI is cheaper, which it is, and free breakfast. As long as the pool area would be fun for a little older kids? Mainly we are worried about safety at 11:30 at night on the walk back.
2 adults; 7 total? You might need 2 rooms at courtyard. There are some rooms at RI that allow 8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!