Covid Family Trip - No plans? No problem. Aug - 3 nights

Peach026

Mouseketeer
My first trip report! Hoping others find this useful. Family of four, DVC owners traveling from New England, three nights at GFV. Going to try to include all the details, so it may take me a bit to complete this :) . Our family includes two thirty-somethings, a 6 year old son and a 7 year old daughter.

First - a little about us. Since March 12, we haven't seen anyone. Schools closed, work closed (we are now working remotely), its been rough. Us grown ups have been very worried about COVID, so we didn't social distance, we ISOLATED. With no family in the area, our "bubble" is just us. It wasn't easy, but we don't regret it. We had a DCL cruise scheduled (HOTHS! Big surprise for the kiddos) for September which I had paid for via Target gift cards. ALLLLLLL that money went back on the gift cards, so we were rolling in Disney dough. The plan was - if they sail, we sail, because we trust in Tho Holy Disney - but they canceled... so there ya go. By early August all four of us were really itching for an escape. Instagram and the podcasts we listened to said the parks were empty, we did our research on flying, and boom scheduled the trip in under two weeks. It was rash, it was fast, and in the end it was worth it.

Thursday morning - got the kids up at 5:30am for our flight. We didn't tell them about the trip *JUST IN CASE* we changed our minds. We said "get up we are going on a hike and its far." My 6 year old said "Are we going to Disney world???" and my husband just laughed and didn't directly answer. My daughter (who isn't as curious) complied and sleepily got into the car. My son asked questions the entire drive, which is only 15ish minutes form the airport.

Flights: Southwest airlines. We flew on a Thursday morning and have precheck. Security was a breeze, no one in line. We fly with a high back booster which takes a little longer through security because they manually check it. I brought a package of disinfecting wipes with me and wiped pretty much every surface we came in contact with. We arrove at our gate 15 minutes before scheduled boarding, but they took their time to start boarding (only 10 minutes before we took off actually) so we stood around for awhile. Paranoid me told the kids not to sit, we just stood patiently and waited! We were fourth onto the plane with early bird check in despite getting our flights only two weeks before. Staff announced there were only 30 people on the plane, so ~100 empty seats and to please spread out. We took a row side by side. Someone (coughing non stop, ew) sat behind my daughter so we moved a row up, which let me relax a bit more. That was there was no one directly in front or behind us :). Flight was nice, they served snacks and drinks (I was surprised!) but we didn't take any - I was trying to avoid the kids having to go potty!

Magical Express: NOPE! For the first time we went rental for this trip to avoid buses/lines/crowds and I have to say we may never go back. Having our own car was AMAZING. We took backpacks and carryons on the flight so no waiting for checked bags. Via Alamo's skip the counter, we walked straight to the garage (only A side is open), picked a car and was on our way. It only took 25 minutes from siting in the car to being AT our resort. It was crazy fast and we didn't have to interact with a single human. We passed the Budget line in the airport and it was wrapped around basically to infinity, I was so glad we went this route.

The entire ride the kids were asking where we were going. Finally my husband said "OK OK we are going on a hike to a castle." My 7 year old was going on and on about how that doesn't make sense and they were debating with each other about where we were. Are we Florida? Is this Disney? Are those trees real? WHERE ARE WE? This was HILARIOUS to us. The kids have been to WDW many times in their young lives (even in utero!) but never with a rental, so it definitely threw them off. Finally we passed through this beauty and we admitted we were "Home". Lots of happy squeals and shock. It was awesome.

Drove up the the guard stand at GFV, the guard asked for our last name and was the first to welcome us home. We had a nice convo about the parks reopening, his experience. He was welcoming and genuinely happy we were there! We dropped our bags at the GFV (rooms were not ready yet, it was exactly 10:56am) and headed just down the way to the entrance of the main hotel, where we met Kingdom Strollers to grab out ciymini double from Derek. He was kind and patient, we've been Kingdom Stroller customers since my daughter was a babe and we love the company! Put the stroller in the trunk and drove off to Hollywood Studios for our first park day.

We were guided to park IN THE FIRST ROW (!!!!!!) at HS. We were parked and walking into the park at 11:10. Can you believe it?! The walk was way shorter than the bus drop off. No waits at temp check. My band scanned pink and I felt a weight lift. Here we were, finally. We did it! Took some photos at the entrance, the whole trip photopass photographers were taking their time and took a LOT of shots. We got some really great ones!

We all needed a potty break and some food stat, so walked up to the Hollywood Brown Derby for eats. I've never been there, its been on my bucket list! Originally we planned on eating outside ONLY all trip, but gosh was it hot and man were we looking for some AC and a nice break. NO resie, no wait, nice clean bathrooms, win-win. Dad got Wagyu burger, I got the salad (of course), both were delicious and we would eat again! Kids got the salmon and the steak, probably ate about 1/3 of their meals (typical). Overall adult meals were winners, kids were overpriced, but we didn't care. We were in DISNEY. It felt like after 5.5 months of sadness the sun had finally risen.

We definitely took out time at lunch, It was just after 1 when we headed out to do rides. My son's and my favorite ride is TOT, but my girl and hubby do not ride (hubby never has and never will) so the two of us rode while Dad and DD watched the show at the B&B theater... I forget what its called but something about Disney favorites. TOT was posted at 25 minutes, but we rode TWICE with virtually no wait, it was walk up until you line up for the elevators, but after the fork. So maybe 5 minutes? My son and I were in heaven getting to ride twice in a row. We chatted up other friendly guests walking in and out, everyone was in a great mood and you could tell we were all just happy to be there. While walking out of TOT for the second time, Dad got a boarding group at 2pm exactly (no app hiccups)... we were group 92. It made us nervous since this was our only HS day, but I stayed hopeful and watched the boarding groups change like a hawk all day hehe.

Decided to take another little mask break since we were heading to TSL and passing launch bay anyways. We chose inside so we could wipe our faces (I brought hand and face wipes) and drink some water in comfort. It was nice in there, quiet. Only saw a couple people and there was plenty space. Headed over to SDD. Posted wait time 35 minutes and we were on and off in 25 :). Because of the distancing queue the line was very very long, but it moved pretty much the whole time and the weight didn't feel long at all. Then over to TSM... and off to Batuu. The sky was getting dark and you could tell Florida weather was about to show itself. So we headed into Smugglers run knowing the would rain any second. Pretty much as soon as we got in it started pouring - we timed it PERFECTLY.

I forget what the wait time posted was, but we were in and rode in roughly 30 minutes. Not bad especially since its all air conditioned! At exit it was still pouring, so after some debate went in and rode a second time with only about a 15 minute wait. The rain had let up when we got out (YAY) and we were hungry, so picked Docking Bay 7.

As you can see... it was pretty empty! While we were in there, one other small group joined our section, but we felt safe and comfortable the entire time. By about that time they were still awhile from our boarding group, so we walked through the Batuu marketplace and got some toys for the kiddos. We all enjoyed watching the alien in the water cooler and talking with the CM's. I had been watching the wait times for Runaway Railway all day and it persisted at 60-65 minutes. It was my one and only goal for the trip, so after some discussion we sucked it up and headed over. The line was wrapped and the posted wait was 60 minutes at that point, so I waited in line while the other three grabbed mickey bars and a bench. They caught up with me in line just before I walked into the theater. I was jumping with excitement to ride. Our last trip was in January right before it opened, and I didn't watch a single ride thru or spoilers so I would be surprised. I don't want to say anything else in case anyone else reading wants to be surprised, but I have to say it didn't disappoint and I can't wait to ride again! We were in and out within 50 minutes and SURPRISE SURPRISE our boarding group was called!!!!

Headed over the ROTR, it was even better than we remembered. After that it was already 7:30 for an 8pm closing time. The kids love Star Tours, so we decided one last ride on our way out. Dad gets sick on it, so he took a break while I rode with the kids. While we were in line we chatted up the cast member handing out the glasses and he told us we probably had time to ride a second time, just ask for the secret hallway at exit :) First time around my son got to be the rebel spy, just as instructed we politely asked if we could ride again and the CM at the exit took us through the secret but not-so-secret passage way. And then my daughter got the be the rebel spy! The CM's at Star Tours were REALLY charismatic and so much fun. Even though it was at park closing! We bought too much at the exit gift shop after (remember, billions of billions in gift cards? HA!) and then headed out and the sun was pretty much set. Getting into our car and back to the resort in 15 minutes was a miracle. I still can't get over the parking situation.

SUMMARY: I rode 10 rides (TOTx2, TSM, SDD, SRx2, MMRR, ROTR, STx2), ate two sit down meals, got to ride my goal ride, took a ton of photos and had a very happy family. It was, in a lifetime of disney trips, the BEST park day I can remember. At minimum the best park day in 8 years since I started traveling with hubby to the parks as an adult. I did see a couple people not wearing mask correctly early in the day, but other than that it was perfect compliance. Notable was I noticed VERY few families, at least half of what I normally see if not less. The crowds were nice. Waits were unreal, almost like a party night. Not having fast passes was excellent, with the small waits we could go around the park in order instead of jumping all over the place. I only got 16K steps (including the airport!) which is crazy, typically we get 20-25K on park days in recent years. Was it hot? Heck yea. But we went slow. Took breaks. Drank water. We put on new clean masks twice at the park. The kids never complained even once (miracle) and I'll never forget that park day!

More later... I wonder if anyone will read my novel!

Last edited:

I’m living vicariously through you! Glad you had a good trip and looking forward to the next segment

My first trip report! Hoping others find this useful. Family of four, DVC owners traveling from New England, three nights at GFV. Going to try to include all the details, so it may take me a bit to complete this :) . Our family includes two thirty-somethings, a 6 year old son and a 7 year old daughter.

First - a little about us. Since March 12, we haven't seen anyone. Schools closed, work closed (we are now working remotely), its been rough. Us grown ups have been very worried about COVID, so we didn't social distance, we ISOLATED. With no family in the area, our "bubble" is just us. It wasn't easy, but we don't regret it. We had a DCL cruise scheduled (HOTHS! Big surprise for the kiddos) for September which I had paid for via Target gift cards. ALLLLLLL that money went back on the gift cards, so we were rolling in Disney dough. The plan was - if they sail, we sail, because we trust in Tho Holy Disney - but they canceled... so there ya go. By early August all four of us were really itching for an escape. Instagram and the podcasts we listened to said the parks were empty, we did our research on flying, and boom scheduled the trip in under two weeks. It was rash, it was fast, and in the end it was worth it.

Thursday morning - got the kids up at 5:30am for our flight. We didn't tell them about the trip *JUST IN CASE* we changed our minds. We said "get up we are going on a hike and its far." My 6 year old said "Are we going to Disney world???" and my husband just laughed and didn't directly answer. My daughter (who isn't as curious) complied and sleepily got into the car. My son asked questions the entire drive, which is only 15ish minutes form the airport.

Flights: Southwest airlines. We flew on a Thursday morning and have precheck. Security was a breeze, no one in line. We fly with a high back booster which takes a little longer through security because they manually check it. I brought a package of disinfecting wipes with me and wiped pretty much every surface we came in contact with. We arrove at our gate 15 minutes before scheduled boarding, but they took their time to start boarding (only 10 minutes before we took off actually) so we stood around for awhile. Paranoid me told the kids not to sit, we just stood patiently and waited! We were fourth onto the plane with early bird check in despite getting our flights only two weeks before. Staff announced there were only 30 people on the plane, so ~100 empty seats and to please spread out. We took a row side by side. Someone (coughing non stop, ew) sat behind my daughter so we moved a row up, which let me relax a bit more. That was there was no one directly in front or behind us :). Flight was nice, they served snacks and drinks (I was surprised!) but we didn't take any - I was trying to avoid the kids having to go potty!

Magical Express: NOPE! For the first time we went rental for this trip to avoid buses/lines/crowds and I have to say we may never go back. Having our own car was AMAZING. We took backpacks and carryons on the flight so no waiting for checked bags. Via Alamo's skip the counter, we walked straight to the garage (only A side is open), picked a car and was on our way. It only took 25 minutes from siting in the car to being AT our resort. It was crazy fast and we didn't have to interact with a single human. We passed the Budget line in the airport and it was wrapped around basically to infinity, I was so glad we went this route.

The entire ride the kids were asking where we were going. Finally my husband said "OK OK we are going on a hike to a castle." My 7 year old was going on and on about how that doesn't make sense and they were debating with each other about where we were. Are we Florida? Is this Disney? Are those trees real? WHERE ARE WE? This was HILARIOUS to us. The kids have been to WDW many times in their young lives (even in utero!) but never with a rental, so it definitely threw them off. Finally we passed through this beauty and we admitted we were "Home". Lots of happy squeals and shock. It was awesome.

View attachment 523950

Drove up the the guard stand at GFV, the guard asked for our last name and was the first to welcome us home. We had a nice convo about the parks reopening, his experience. He was welcoming and genuinely happy we were there! We dropped our bags at the GFV (rooms were not ready yet, it was exactly 10:56am) and headed just down the way to the entrance of the main hotel, where we met Kingdom Strollers to grab out ciymini double from Derek. He was kind and patient, we've been Kingdom Stroller customers since my daughter was a babe and we love the company! Put the stroller in the trunk and drove off to Hollywood Studios for our first park day.

We were guided to park IN THE FIRST ROW (!!!!!!) at HS. We were parked and walking into the park at 11:10. Can you believe it?! The walk was way shorter than the bus drop off. No waits at temp check. My band scanned pink and I felt a weight lift. Here we were, finally. We did it! Took some photos at the entrance, the whole trip photopass photographers were taking their time and took a LOT of shots. We got some really great ones!

We all needed a potty break and some food stat, so walked up to the Hollywood Brown Derby for eats. I've never been there, its been on my bucket list! Originally we planned on eating outside ONLY all trip, but gosh was it hot and man were we looking for some AC and a nice break. NO resie, no wait, nice clean bathrooms, win-win. Dad got Wagyu burger, I got the salad (of course), both were delicious and we would eat again! Kids got the salmon and the steak, probably ate about 1/3 of their meals (typical). Overall adult meals were winners, kids were overpriced, but we didn't care. We were in DISNEY. It felt like after 5.5 months of sadness the sun had finally risen.

View attachment 523952

We definitely took out time at lunch, It was just after 1 when we headed out to do rides. My son's and my favorite ride is TOT, but my girl and hubby do not ride (hubby never has and never will) so the two of us rode while Dad and DD watched the show at the B&B theater... I forget what its called but something about Disney favorites. TOT was posted at 25 minutes, but we rode TWICE with virtually no wait, it was walk up until you line up for the elevators, but after the fork. So maybe 5 minutes? My son and I were in heaven getting to ride twice in a row. We chatted up other friendly guests walking in and out, everyone was in a great mood and you could tell we were all just happy to be there. While walking out of TOT for the second time, Dad got a boarding group at 2pm exactly (no app hiccups)... we were group 92. It made us nervous since this was our only HS day, but I stayed hopeful and watched the boarding groups change like a hawk all day hehe.

Decided to take another little mask break since we were heading to TSL and passing launch bay anyways. We chose inside so we could wipe our faces (I brought hand and face wipes) and drink some water in comfort. It was nice in there, quiet. Only saw a couple people and there was plenty space. Headed over to SDD. Posted wait time 35 minutes and we were on and off in 25 :). Because of the distancing queue the line was very very long, but it moved pretty much the whole time and the weight didn't feel long at all. Then over to TSM... and off to Batuu. The sky was getting dark and you could tell Florida weather was about to show itself. So we headed into Smugglers run knowing the would rain any second. Pretty much as soon as we got in it started pouring - we timed it PERFECTLY.

View attachment 523956

I forget what the wait time posted was, but we were in and rode in roughly 30 minutes. Not bad especially since its all air conditioned! At exit it was still pouring, so after some debate went in and rode a second time with only about a 15 minute wait. The rain had let up when we got out (YAY) and we were hungry, so picked Docking Bay 7.

View attachment 523957

As you can see... it was pretty empty! While we were in there, one other small group joined our section, but we felt safe and comfortable the entire time. By about that time they were still awhile from our boarding group, so we walked through the Batuu marketplace and got some toys for the kiddos. We all enjoyed watching the alien in the water cooler and talking with the CM's. I had been watching the wait times for Runaway Railway all day and it persisted at 60-65 minutes. It was my one and only goal for the trip, so after some discussion we sucked it up and headed over. The line was wrapped and the posted wait was 60 minutes at that point, so I waited in line while the other three grabbed mickey bars and a bench. They caught up with me in line just before I walked into the theater. I was jumping with excitement to ride. Our last trip was in January right before it opened, and I didn't watch a single ride thru or spoilers so I would be surprised. I don't want to say anything else in case anyone else reading wants to be surprised, but I have to say it didn't disappoint and I can't wait to ride again! We were in and out within 50 minutes and SURPRISE SURPRISE our boarding group was called!!!!

Headed over the ROTR, it was even better than we remembered. After that it was already 7:30 for an 8pm closing time. The kids love Star Tours, so we decided one last ride on our way out. Dad gets sick on it, so he took a break while I rode with the kids. While we were in line we chatted up the cast member handing out the glasses and he told us we probably had time to ride a second time, just ask for the secret hallway at exit :) First time around my son got to be the rebel spy, just as instructed we politely asked if we could ride again and the CM at the exit took us through the secret but not-so-secret passage way. And then my daughter got the be the rebel spy! The CM's at Star Tours were REALLY charismatic and so much fun. Even though it was at park closing! We bought too much at the exit gift shop after (remember, billions of billions in gift cards? HA!) and then headed out and the sun was pretty much set. Getting into our car and back to the resort in 15 minutes was a miracle. I still can't get over the parking situation.

SUMMARY: I rode 10 rides (TOTx2, TSM, SDD, SRx2, MMRR, ROTR, STx2), ate two sit down meals, got to ride my goal ride, took a ton of photos and had a very happy family. It was, in a lifetime of disney trips, the BEST park day I can remember. At minimum the best park day in 8 years since I started traveling with hubby to the parks as an adult. I did see a couple people not wearing mask correctly early in the day, but other than that it was perfect compliance. Notable was I noticed VERY few families, at least half of what I normally see if not less. The crowds were nice. Waits were unreal, almost like a party night. Not having fast passes was excellent, with the small waits we could go around the park in order instead of jumping all over the place. I only got 16K steps (including the airport!) which is crazy, typically we get 20-25K on park days in recent years. Was it hot? Heck yea. But we went slow. Took breaks. Drank water. We put on new clean masks twice at the park. The kids never complained even once (miracle) and I'll never forget that park day!

More later... I wonder if anyone will read my novel!
That was so amazing to read. Wish I could go... I really miss being HOME. I can understand how you felt, I probably would have cried with joy.
Can't wait to read the rest of your novel.

Following along. I really hope I didn’t miss the boat on minimal crowds and low wait times. My trip isn’t until the end of October.

Friday: Around 6am I woke up while everyone was still fast asleep, and the sunrise was peaking through the curtain. I snuck out for some Mama time and was shocked at this GORGEOUS view. The night before I hadn't even checked out the balcony - we were pretty tired after such an awesome (busy) day.

Our room was on the fifth floor, it was a breathtaking scene of the contemporary and wedding pavilion. The kids didn't wake up until closer to 7, but with MK not opening till 9am it was a slow and relaxed morning. Oatmeal and cereal, pjs and that view!

We strolled over to the main GF lobby via the covered walkway right around 8:40. Jumped on the monorail with zero wait and an easy walk through security - they scanned our foreheads and I walked through the metal detectors with my backpack on. We didn't see a single other guest and I snapped this photo to remember the lobby by (not sure why its sideways.. )

Backpack: including in case it helps any other families! I had extra sunscreen, ponchos, flip flops for me (since I knew it would be a full day and I like to change my shoes), allll the wipes, two extra sets of masks for everyone, hand sanitizer, one empty water bottle (for refilling) and a few ziplock just in case of anything.

The turnstiles were wide open when we strolled leisurely off the monorail! Zero wait, another pink scan for me. As we walked in our friends came out and said good morning!

While there was no wait walking in, main street felt pretty crowded. We tend to be rope drop in lower crowd times visitors, and it didn't seem too different than normal aside from the fast walk in through the front gate very honestly. But this was it! We were here!

Every trip we always stop at Main Street Bakery for coffee before heading to the attractions. Hubs and I debated about a plan of action considering the no walking and drinking new rule. We peaked into the bakery and there were only 4ish groups each waiting in both lines (it seemed), so we decided to grab coffee and treats. My girl was disappointed because there were no donuts, but had a cake pop and both kids shared a cinnamon bun. We got setting in front of the ice cream parlor. There were umbrellas, but how the sun sat it was really no shade. I was getting a bit anxious watching crowds go past us to fantasyland, but I was DETERMINED to make it a carefree day like HS, so I told my anxiety to quiet down and we happily enjoyed our (second) breakfast. There's just something about Starbucks on Main Street, no other place in the world makes me so happy!

Considering the direction everyone else was going, for the first time every we went to Tomorrowland FIRST. I was the only one who had ever ridden Space Mountain in my group, but I had talked it up to everyone hoping I could talk them into it with a low wait. My daughter refused, so Daddy took her to Buzz while me and my little man skipped to Space Mountain.

I haven't ridden SM in 20 years... at least. Maybe more. I didn't really remember it, from photos I knew the seating arrangement and was nervous (I'm a large lady). But I got in without trouble and was surprisingly comfortable. There was ZERO wait, it was right about 9am and we walked onto the ride. My son picked the right track. My heart was racing the entire time. Has it always been that LONG? and that BUMPY? HA! We are getting old... The ride was much more intense then I remembered and I was worried my 6 year old would be a wreck when we got off. BOY WAS I WRONG. He jumped out the ride and ran as fast as he could yelling back "MOM LETS GO AGAIN LETS GO AGAIN!" Talk about a proud mommy moment. Maybe I finally have my partner in crime thrill seeker. I called Hubby while we walked out of the exit they were just getting off buzz and met us at the entrance. Daughter still refused to ride, but Dad was now super excited seeing how my son loved it. They rode the left track while my girl and I did Astro Orbiters (which my hubby refuses to do because of his fear of heights). It was so fun to see the boys experience one of my favorite rides growing up!

From there we made our way through Fantasyland. The line for SDMT was posted at 35, but we rode in 25. The park was hot, it was pretty crowded, and some wait times were very very short while others were weirdly high. Small world was at 20 minutes or more all day - peaking at the queue it definitely looked to be an accurate estimate!

All before lunch we rode (with some small subs as noted above): SM, Teacups, Pooh, SDMT, PP, HM. I swung by Memento Mori (there was a line most of the day) while the kids got Mickey pretzels to hold them over till we had an early dinner reservation at Liberty Tree. Then we decided to check out Tom Sawyer Island ! We'd never been there, there had been so little wait on anything, why not! It was about noon at this point. Chip and Dale said hi as we were heading over

Now, it was getting REALLY hot. I'm used to grabbing water from all the QS locations whenever we visit. We have visited in August before - its definitely not my favorite but I knew what to expect. What I DIDN'T expect was how hard it would be to find cold water. While the kids checked out the island I sat in the shade drinking water and relaxing my feet. We were all starting to get very uncomfortable, but we were unsure how to fix it. Like I said it was about noon, we had 2:30 dining reservations. We COULD go back to the hotel, but thats a ways to walk in this heat - we didn't think it was really worth it. So we stuck it out.

Hit up BTM, we waiting about 25 minutes, and then stopped at the outside eating area of Pescos to drink and rest without masks. It was at this point that I put fresh ones on everyone. We sat there for at least 15 minutes breathing and drinking and chilling. It made a HUGE difference for everyone. I also changed my shoes and it helped my mood. Sitting there, Husband and I realized that the heat really was tolerable - without masks. It matters. Luckily for us the kids never complained, but we could tell when they were getting hot and tired. Families - TAKE BREAKS. Take more than you think you need. Its worth it.

Went across the way to pirates, again waited about 25 minutes, and then jungle cruise which was posted 30 but took about 25. I kept watching the wait times, everything was 25-35 minutes. Being a seasoned park goer I realize that's not much - but its not the walk ons on everything that we had been reading about (and what made us pull the trigger on this trip!) All the streets "felt" pretty normal, maybe slightly lower than March crowds. There were noticeably tons of families - which I expected since its MK, but given we saw almost none at HS I did think there would be less.

Off to Liberty tree which NEVER disappoints. There was no one on our floor that we could see for the first half of the meal, then a group of young people but on the opposite side of the room. I didn't notice the altercation, but apparently they were vaping and getting trashed and security came over to talk to them. Hubby saw the whole thing! I had ZERO idea there was any scandal, that's how far away they were LOL. The food was SO satisfying, the AC was needed.

I didn't check park maps after our meal, but we wanted to ride pirates again so headed that way. Wait time posted 40 minutes (!!). There was no way that was right, so we jumped in line... after 10 minutes of moving 3 spaces we figured either it was down or... I dunno just something and not worth waiting 40 minutes. So off to BTM again! Which was 50 minutes and looped all the way to the bridge. CRAZY. There were people everywhere and it was getting extremely crowded. The seemed to be coming into the area from fantasy land, so we decided to head up that was to see if we had better luck on the top end of the park. Rode HM again (walk on!) and then the storm clouds started moving in. We were getting pretty tired at this point. It was 5:30 and the park closed at 7... I needed to do some shopping for park exclusive merch.. so we decided ONE LAST ride. Mine train of course! It was an AWESOME last ride. We waited about 25 minutes (really the wait of the day lol).

It started drizzling and Main Street erupted with people. Then it occurred to me... its a Friday. DUH. I bet these are APs. It was swarmed as people were trying to escape with the rain coming in. There were waits to get into all the stores, and the emporium was impossible to social distance. Hubby and the kids crossed to the street to the candy store to get another snack (so they weren't stuck with me) while they waited. I raced through the store, which was sad because I had planned on spending and bringing home surprises for the holidays. I was very uncomfortable and only bought a handful of things. We headed out to the monorail and it was about 6:45. We only had to wait for two trains, and they were running a ton so it was about 15 minutes. Not bad!

We knew we'd get hungry again so we stopped at Gasparilla's for some quick eats to bring back to the room. The cake pop was ENORMOUS and I would highly recommend! I also enjoyed they almond fruit tart - I love almond and it did not disappoint.

Walking into the room and taking off our masks, I was hit with that amazing GF smell. It then occurred to me that all day I hardly smelled anything. Not the good (the cotton candy at the treats shop, the coffee at the bakery , the salty air at pirates) OR the bad (hello BO from people who stand way to close in line... no random gas from strangers). It was missing from the day, and that mask free release of getting back to our room was like a vacation in itself.

Everyone passed out pretty fast after showers etc. Overall, it was a good day... Ride total: SM, AO, SDMT x2, Pooh, PP, HMx2, BTM, Pirates, JC = 11, but it was considerably more uncomfortable then the day prior, notable were wait times across the board longer. We were at the park for 10 hours, had 1 long sit down meal and rode 11 rides. Vs HS that had two sit down meals and 10 rides, but were were only there for about 8 hours. That might not sound like a big difference but it certainly felt like one. Talking to the cast member at the register at the emporium, she confirmed that the park overall had been pretty busy for about 10 days, but definitely works Friday - Sunday. Thursday being busier, but not as "bad". From her perspective, she felt no difference COVID vs preCOVID on Friday-Sunday. I can definitely see where she was coming from.

BUT - it was a good day. I was glad we went, and it made me cherish our HS day even more! Everyone passed out pretty fast that night despite the late night desserts. Total step count 18K - still way less than normal, but physically I felt as tired as a 20K day. I didn't notice a single person not complying to the mask rules.

More later! Up next Pool time and Disney Springs - spoiler alert, don't go to DS LMAO.

Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to read the rest of your report. We’re still on the fence about a 9/26-10/3 trip. Like you, the “walk-ons” are tempting especially with our 3 year old, so I’m curious to see what the rest of your trip looked like!

That was so amazing to read. Wish I could go... I really miss being HOME. I can understand how you felt, I probably would have cried with joy.
Can't wait to read the rest of your novel.
YES. There was just a relief. It was pretty much immediate as we crossed through those Walt Disney World gates. It was as if the air was cleaner, the sky was brighter, WE MADE IT! Usually I get a bubble burst a couple days after we get home, but not this time. That shine has lasted almost two weeks now. There's been dips of course (because well its still 2020), but overall it was the time out I really needed. My only regret is not doing it sooner!

Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to read the rest of your report. We’re still on the fence about a 9/26-10/3 trip. Like you, the “walk-ons” are tempting especially with our 3 year old, so I’m curious to see what the rest of your trip looked like!
I have advice! It might change as crowds seem to be getting bigger, but I'll elaborate ASAP (gotta get my monsters to bed now)

Following along. I really hope I didn’t miss the boat on minimal crowds and low wait times. My trip isn’t until the end of October.

I'm SUPER optimistic for you! Not sure what your plans are, but I'd avoid parks during the weekend. I was sad to miss the halloween decorations (MY FAVORITE) so please share photos!

Yay! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Will you be able to travel any time soon?
:sad2: We may get a very quick stop in Dec 21 or Jan 22 around a cruise my son picked as his middle school “graduation” present
Although! I may give in and schedule something sooner. It’s so easy for me to relax at Disney and feel joyful. I’m craving a trip! For now, reading trip reports will have to suffice 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter