Cozumel Ruins Port adventures & transport

Raya

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! We're going on a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise this fall, and I'm trying to organize shore excursions. Is there anyway to see the ruins without the long travel time (45 minute ferry, which may induce motion sickness, followed by a 70 minute van ride)? I'm wondering if hiring the private guide/car could somehow make the trip shorter.

We went to a park on the island that had some ruins, it was a short taxi ride from the port.

You could hire a helicopter?

Seriously, if you figure that one out, let me know. I'm not willing to spend more time travelling than seeing the site, but I'd sure love to see the site.

If you want to see Tulum or Chichen Itza, that's how long it takes. A private guide will only be available once you get off the ferry. There are no shortcuts. There may be other smaller ruins, but the main ones are farther away.

Those are replicas.
I think you are thinking of the Discover Mexico park, which is replicas. But there is also the San Gervasio historical park, which are actual ruins. But they are not too much to look at as they are small and worn down. Certainly nothing as impressive as Tuluum.

Pick a different cruiseline that stops at closer ports. Seriously. I would want to maximize my time at these magnificient sites, and Cozumel just simply doesn't allow it, especially for anyone with kids to whom long transit times may not be realistic to expect. Based on my family, visiting the ruins just isn't going to happen while we sail with the mouse unless ports of call change.

If you stop in Costa Maya, there are ruins that are closer to port, and of course don't require ferry transport.

If you have your heart set on Chichen Itza, I think it's best to do it if you go to a resort in Cancun. You'll likely spend longer at the ruins, and there won't be any panic about getting back and making the ferry, then making the ship.

We stayed in Playa del Carmen for a week.
It meant we had a day at Tulum, a generous afternoon in Coba and then we spent the night at Chichen Itza. The evening show there was pretty darn cool.

I know it sounds like a lot of ruins, but each was fascinating in their own way. I especially liked Coba. We had always wonder how ruins "disappear". In Coba you could walk around the partially excavated pyramid. 3 feet away in the jungle, it completely disappeared.

Now see? This is why we need comas... I tagged in trying to figure out how Cozumel ruined port adventures & transport.

We took the DCL excursion to the ruins on Cozumel. We had a guide who narrated the bus ride to the ruins (less than a half an hour ride) and also while we were there. It was in 2016, but if I'm not mixing up my excursions, this one also had a demonstration of making chocolate from the beans and included lunch. It took up most of our day, but it was well worth our time. We have been on three DCL cruises so far and that has been our favorite excursion.

Chichen Itza are the only Mexican ruins I would do this sort of excursion for. They are also on the so-called list of new seven wonders.

From Cozumel, it's a 2.5- to 3-hr trip one way, and a ship excursion is the only safe way to do it. Or, try the helicopter tour by Cancun Helicopters.

From the port of Progreso, it takes an hour and 45 minutes one way. I think Wonder has a scheduled call at Progreso next year in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter