Craft beer drinkers unite

Great thread. I'm getting on the Fantasy June 11th. I'm staying the night before in port canaveral and was thinking about visiting Florida Beer Company to buy my carry on 6 pack. I'm from Ohio so does anyone know if they have good beer? Looks like a nice local brewery with a taphouse s stones throw from my hotel.

I'm boarding on July 30. Can you make a list of what beers are on board? Thanks a million!

Great thread. I'm getting on the Fantasy June 11th. I'm staying the night before in port canaveral and was thinking about visiting Florida Beer Company to buy my carry on 6 pack. I'm from Ohio so does anyone know if they have good beer? Looks like a nice local brewery with a taphouse s stones throw from my hotel.

Sunseed Coop just a mile or two down the road has a great craft beer selection. FBC's beers are OK. Nothing spectacular, but decent. I always know I've arrived in Florida officially when I have a Key West Sunset Ale in my hands.

With the new limitations on the amount of beer you can bring on-board the ships, I thought it might be a good idea to get a good on-board craft beer list started so those of us who enjoy it can find it. Please, this is not a forum to debate the new rules, but a tool to help fellow craft beer drinkers plan their trip. If you have cruised on DCL in the last year, please let us know what ship you were on and what establishments had craft beer. Just for the record, I personally do not consider Blue Moon a craft beer, nor Beck's since they were bought out by AB Inbev. But hey, if that is what you like, feel free to share, other reads may enjoy it also. Thanks in advance for all those who share!
Goose Island beers are my favorite craft brewery beers. Does anyone know if Goose Island is served on DCL ships?

BTW, Becks has been a large brewery long before their takeover by Interbrew.

MUN

Goose Island beers are my favorite craft brewery beers. Does anyone know if Goose Island is served on DCL ships?

BTW, Becks has been a large brewery long before their takeover by Interbrew.

MUN

Goose Island isn't a craft brewery. It's owned by AB-InBev.

So what? It is still a craft brewery and they make delicious beer.

So what? You called it craft beer. By definition Goose Island is *not* a craft brewery because their owner makes too many barrels a year to be considered so. That was my point. Most craft beer fans refer to their beer as "crafty". It hides behind a craft beer label while actually being produced by a mega-corporation that, as a general rule, doesn't care about beer but instead only cares about money.

If you like it now you should have tried it when they were actually making their own beer instead of mass producing it in AB Inbev vats. It's swill compared to their old stuff.

So what? You called it craft beer. By definition Goose Island is *not* a craft brewery because their owner makes too many barrels a year to be considered so. That was my point. Most craft beer fans refer to their beer as "crafty". It hides behind a craft beer label while actually being produced by a mega-corporation that, as a general rule, doesn't care about beer but instead only cares about money.

If you like it now you should have tried it when they were actually making their own beer instead of mass producing it in AB Inbev vats. It's swill compared to their old stuff.
I enjoy their beer and I think large breweries care about making a quality beer.

I enjoy their beer and I think large breweries care about making a quality beer.

You're not getting the point. You called Goose Island "craft beer" and a "craft brewery". It's *not* craft beer and they are *not* a craft brewery.

I don't think anyone is arguing that point - if they didn't make enjoyable beer they wouldn't sell enough of it to make a profit. ;) The OP specifically called out AB InBev as not being what they were referring to by craft beer though, so phinz is correct in pointing out the ownership. I feel you though - I'm still disappointed they bought out Kona. You can really taste a huge difference if you go to the brewery on Kona and try their small batch stuff that they don't sell on the mainland vs. Longboard these days. The loss of Wailua in my local mart particularly stings me come summer as their IPA is mediocre. Seems like everyone else who makes a passionfruit beer goes sour... I am NOT a fan of sours. I tried the Green Flash PF Kicker out of San Diego thats a wheat beer too and it wasn't nearly as tasty to me. Went too tart with that one, but then I am not a fan of passionfruit tea usually either... I just want the fruit flavor! :(

I don't think anyone is arguing that point - if they didn't make enjoyable beer they wouldn't sell enough of it to make a profit. ;) The OP specifically called out AB InBev as not being what they were referring to by craft beer though, so phinz is correct in pointing out the ownership. I feel you though - I'm still disappointed they bought out Kona. You can really taste a huge difference if you go to the brewery on Kona and try their small batch stuff that they don't sell on the mainland vs. Longboard these days. The loss of Wailua in my local mart particularly stings me come summer as their IPA is mediocre. Seems like everyone else who makes a passionfruit beer goes sour... I am NOT a fan of sours. I tried the Green Flash PF Kicker out of San Diego thats a wheat beer too and it wasn't nearly as tasty to me. Went too tart with that one, but then I am not a fan of passionfruit tea usually either... I just want the fruit flavor! :(
I'm not disappointed that large breweries have bought out small breweries. That is the way capitalism works. In fact, I think it is great that the large breweries are getting into the craft beer market. It brings good tasting beer to a wider market at competitive prices. I enjoy my craft beers no matter if they are made by a large brewery or a small brewer.

However, I still haven't had my original question answered:

Does anyone know if Goose Island is served on DCL ships?

I'm not disappointed that large breweries have bought out small breweries. That is the way capitalism works. In fact, I think it is great that the large breweries are getting into the craft beer market. It brings good tasting beer to a wider market at competitive prices. I enjoy my craft beers no matter if they are made by a large brewery or a small brewer.

They're not getting into the "craft beer market". They're working to control the market to destroy the small breweries because they've lost market share. I don't blame breweries for selling out for copious amounts of money, but the more we cheer the big guy for "the way capitalism works" the more we lose when it comes to diversity of choice. Can you imagine if every cruise line was owned by Carnival, every movie company was owned by Sony or every amusement park was owned by Silver Dollar City? Sure, we'd get "good stuff at competitive prices" but at some point you have to recognize the greater issue, which is the stifling of competition, the primary goal of big two buying smaller breweries.

It was on tap at Bon Voyage and 687! So good!

I like it, but it's not my favorite. It's kind of a mess when it comes to their hop choices. The ones used don't work all that well together, but when given a choice between Cigar City and, say, Heineken or Kona, I know which one I'll choose every time.

They're not getting into the "craft beer market". They're working to control the market to destroy the small breweries because they've lost market share. I don't blame breweries for selling out for copious amounts of money, but the more we cheer the big guy for "the way capitalism works" the more we lose when it comes to diversity of choice. Can you imagine if every cruise line was owned by Carnival, every movie company was owned by Sony or every amusement park was owned by Silver Dollar City? Sure, we'd get "good stuff at competitive prices" but at some point you have to recognize the greater issue, which is the stifling of competition, the primary goal of big two buying smaller breweries.
Do you know if Goose Island beers are on DCL? That was my question. Thanks for the lecture, though! :thumbsup2

MUN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter