Craziest table mates you have had.

The last cruise I was on (Alaska Disney) turns out we were at a table with a Cadet friend of my daughter. They had another child the same age as my youngest. It was lovely - mainly because the kids were 'insta friends'. The posts on here have made me nervous for next time!

That's not a very kind response. Trump stands for (in my opinion) a lot of terrible things so yes, it can be upsetting to be around people who support that.

To keep this reply on topic, we have only been on one Disney Cruise so far, and we were seated with two other young couples our age. They were both lovely. My s/o and I are considering asking for private next time though, we are worried what will happen if we don't get lucky again!

In my 9 Disney cruises, I have never had anyone talk about politics in my hearing. Not saying that it would not happen, just that I don't think that is something that is common. It never even occurred to me to think that I would be sitting with someone that would talk politics to a stranger at the table. If that were to happen, I would ask to move tables and tell them why.

In my 9 Disney cruises, I have never had anyone talk about politics in my hearing. Not saying that it would not happen, just that I don't think that is something that is common. It never even occurred to me to think that I would be sitting with someone that would talk politics to a stranger at the table. If that were to happen, I would ask to move tables and tell them why.
I had people talking about US medical at the table. 3 mother-daughter couples. People who started conversation were not US residents.

It wasn't on a cruise, but a shared table at Biergarten. We were at a table with a family with 2 young kids, and a middle age couple who were on their honeymoon. The bride had no filter and proceeded to tell us how they were staying in the Ft. Wilderness Cabins so people wouldn't hear her screaming during sex! The groom turned about 4 shades of red.

The rest of us adults at the table cringed and couldn't get done with dinner fast enough.

Last edited:
It wasn't on a cruise, but a shared table at Biergarten. We were at a table with a fail with 2 young kids, and a middle age couple who were on their honeymoon. The bride had no filter and proceeded to tell us how they were staying in the Ft. Wilderness Cabins so people wouldn't hear her screaming during sex! The groom turned about 4 shades of red.

The rest of us adults at the table cringed and couldn't get done with dinner fast enough.

Wow! I have no words 🤣🤣

I love Trump !
I love Biden !
One of those is true. If either made you mad, then you may be the bad table mate. If you remember that they are on vacation too and are not there to entertain anyone, things should be fine.
I hate one, but I gladly don't talk politics on vacation on Much anyway now if your a Knicks fan forget it

Only once have we had an issue with political talk, but thankfully it was an easy remedy.
We were enjoying our morning coffee out by the glass windows on two lovely lounges at The Cove Cafe on The Magic when I man walked over and sat in the chair next to us.
He was on the phone, talking politics to whoever was on the other end. He was just going on and on so loud and I couldn't take it, one side glance to my husband and we were out of there.

Many years ago when we started going to WDW and cruising, we never thought we would be in a situation where someone we just met would discuss politics. Although it wasn't as prevalent earlier on, it became more and more common for us to be sitting at the pool or waiting for the door to open for a performance, that people we just said Hi to for the first time would say something about politics. It was generally US politics...it wasn't until last couple of years (our Canadian Prime Minister) got a little bit of media coverage, that anyone mentioned our politics...

Since the last few years, I've been cognizant of possible political talk and if we can do anything to avoid it, we will. I just don't want to be in the situation where I need to move tables. So, I think it's better for us to request our own table because we don't have the same comfort level when discuss what we consider off topics with strangers.

Only once have we had an issue with political talk, but thankfully it was an easy remedy.
We were enjoying our morning coffee out by the glass windows on two lovely lounges at The Cove Cafe on The Magic when I man walked over and sat in the chair next to us.
He was on the phone, talking politics to whoever was on the other end. He was just going on and on so loud and I couldn't take it, one side glance to my husband and we were out of there.

We had a similar situation in the Adults only pool area, but it was a couple who started arguing (not on the phone) and my husband and I quickly left. In such situations, it was easy to leave, but if they were our tablemates, I would be uncomfortable. I understand everyone has different topics they like to discuss in public and with strangers, but we are less comfortable with certain conversations.

But that's not the main reason why we choose private tables. We choose to dine on our own because dinner time is always family time for us....so, this may sound unfriendly, but I don't really want to hear about other people's activity that day, I just want to speak with my family. There is so many hours in a day to speak to strangers, we want to keep dinner time for just our family.

Back in the day when we did have tablemates, except for the couple we sat with that had recently retired from where I was working (it was wonderful for me for having common ground. Not so sure for my wife and kids🙄🙂), we used to exchange pleasantries and not much else. We would introduce each other, maybe another line or two and that was it. Each family tended to stay within their own bubbles. Everyone was friendly and polite, but nobody really interacted outside their respective bubble.

---Paul in Southern NJ

Back in the day when we did have tablemates, except for the couple we sat with that had recently retired from where I was working (it was wonderful for me for having common ground. Not so sure for my wife and kids🙄🙂), we used to exchange pleasantries and not much else. We would introduce each other, maybe another line or two and that was it. Each family tended to stay within their own bubbles. Everyone was friendly and polite, but nobody really interacted outside their respective bubble.

---Paul in Southern NJ

This right here is why I request our own table. I am not too concerned about getting someone I don't get along with, as I am pretty easy going. I am more concerned about getting a family that isn't very conversational and either feeling like my own family can't converse normally or having to make an effort every evening to make small talk. It would be great to have a family we hit it off with, where conversation is effortless, but the odds seem low.

This right here is why I request our own table. I am not too concerned about getting someone I don't get along with, as I am pretty easy going. I am more concerned about getting a family that isn't very conversational and either feeling like my own family can't converse normally or having to make an effort every evening to make small talk. It would be great to have a family we hit it off with, where conversation is effortless, but the odds seem low.
It's not a case of we weren't conversational, but more that we very different in our group (I had older kids/adults and they had small kids). We didn't have a lot in common. There were pleasantries, but not a lot to talk about.

When we had more "compatible" table mates there was a lot of chatter.

Luck of the draw.

---Paul in Southern NJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter