Credit card hold

touloo

Earning My Ears
I have a room only reservation next week at CSR. We are not planning to use our magic bands for charging. I have not checked in online yet because I would like to pay the remainder of the room balance with cash.

Question #1- will they still ask for a credit or debit card and put $100 hold on it?

#2- we are thinking of renting a car, if we do so for parking charge each day, can I pay for that in cash rather than have them put the charge through on the credit card?

I really want to cash flow this trip as much as possible. Thank you for your help.

1. Yes. You obviously won't be able to pay for anything using your MB - but you knew that.

2. I don't think so - although if you don't have a card on file, I don't see how they can charge your credit card. Two options: go to the front desk The day before you leave and pay off the parking charges to that point ( leaving just the last night to be put on a card); or, check out in person and pay for parking then.

I have a room only reservation next week at CSR. We are not planning to use our magic bands for charging. I have not checked in online yet because I would like to pay the remainder of the room balance with cash.

Question #1- will they still ask for a credit or debit card and put $100 hold on it?

#2- we are thinking of renting a car, if we do so for parking charge each day, can I pay for that in cash rather than have them put the charge through on the credit card?

I really want to cash flow this trip as much as possible. Thank you for your help.
Hotels typically ask for a credit card when you check in to have on file for incidentals and such. My husband often settles the bill in cash when we check out, and you can tell them that when you are checking in. Your charges will accrue on your bill. But, yeah, you will need some sort of credit card to check in, as far as I know.

How about getting a visa gift card and using that for your hold? Keeps that money separate from your regular checking/savings account, so no going over that limit.

Are you literally paying cash, as in paper money? I have paid "cash" for food, souvenirs etc. by using my debit card, so it was my debit card that I gave when I checked in and all charges during my stay came directly out of my checking account.

Hotels typically ask for a credit card when you check in to have on file for incidentals and such. My husband often settles the bill in cash when we check out, and you can tell them that when you are checking in. Your charges will accrue on your bill. But, yeah, you will need some sort of credit card to check in, as far as I know.

You do not have to provide them with a credit card at check in. The new hold policy has caused issues for many, so now some choose not to and do not charge to bands. There are some long threads about it.

You do not have to provide them with a credit card at check in.
Note that this is pretty much unique to Disney. Other hotels that don't demand a credit card on file (most do) instead require a cash deposit, typically $X per night of the stay.

You do not have to provide them with a credit card at check in. The new hold policy has caused issues for many, so now some choose not to and do not charge to bands. There are some long threads about it.
Wow, a hotel not wanting some sort of credit card in case of damage or theft from the room. We don’t often use our magic bands when at WDW to charge things but as I recall, I have always had a card on file from when I made my reservation. Never tried to remove it and try to check in.

Other hotels, and as I mentioned- my husband is a cash guy, still want a credit card guarantee. So, interesting.

Not sure of why they would want to put a $100 hold (I just looked up their current policy), but since our last vacation cost 45 times that, its a drop in the bucket.

Thanks everyone. I’m going to pay the remaining bill for the room in cash (debit card) and then give them my credit card if they want to put a hold. If we rent a car, I’ll just go to the front desk and pay the parking on the debit card daily or when we check out. I think that will work.

Just FYI, Disney has changed their policy in this, basically they are placing a $100 hold at check in and charging off after every $100, placing another $100 hold so you cannot do this anymore and you end up with basically double your charges held in your card until the holds drop off, anywhere from a few days up to the next billing cycle.

Just FYI, Disney has changed their policy in this, basically they are placing a $100 hold at check in and charging off after every $100, placing another $100 hold so you cannot do this anymore and you end up with basically double your charges held in your card until the holds drop off, anywhere from a few days up to the next billing cycle.
We were there in August, so stayed while under the new policy. I guess the hold policy is an issue for some more than others.

What bothered me- because we don’t charge to our room, and prefer to pay in cash, was when my DH went to get something from the gift ship (WL) and grabbed an alcoholic beverage at the same time. When he came back, he said that it ‘must be included in the Dining Plan (which we had) because I wasn’t charged’. I told him that wasn’t right, he should have been charged for the drink. Either the person made a mistake or they charged it to the room (without saying a word). Bingo! Room charge appeared for that one item. He had brought money to pay for it so it was irritating that the sales person didn’t ask how he wanted to pay and just charged it to the room. Sorry, if this is :offtopic: I would have said something there and then, but he didn’t know the rules of the DP.

OP- I would just be up front about your intention to pay cash. We also like to go this route because we ultimately spend less money when we pay now instead of later. There are many things we realize we don’t really need. :-) And less bills on return! Yay!! Have fun!

This is why for the first time ever going to Disney we are not going to have a credit or debit card on file. I don't have one that has enough room for the holds and for charges too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter