Credit card rewards categories

Always Planning

Earning My Ears
Are WDW meal purchases (paid for by credit card) considered to be in the dining/restaurant category for cash-back rewards? Also, would general WDW merchandise purchases fall into the “other” category or the entertainment category (since this category includes theme parks)? I heard that it all depends on the Merchant Category Code?!
PS - this question is about credit cards other than the Disney Visa

Merchant category codes can vary by financial institution. It may help to know which credit card you will be using.

Enjoy your vacation!

Merchant category codes can vary by financial institution. It may help to know which credit card you will be using.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks. I have several different cards that offer varying percentages according to the category. Looks like I would need to know the catergory before I picked which card to use 😞

There are sometimes threads on the Budget board asking for similar info. You could check over there.

(Oh, I just realized this got moved to the Budget forum!)

it can differ within sections of individual stores. for instance-i have a card that offers a higher amount for walmart purchases BUT if i make a purchase of an electronics item in the electronics department vs. taking it up to the regular registers i don't benefit from the higher reward b/c electronics uses a different merchant category code.

Are WDW meal purchases (paid for by credit card) considered to be in the dining/restaurant category for cash-back rewards? Also, would general WDW merchandise purchases fall into the “other” category or the entertainment category (since this category includes theme parks)? I heard that it all depends on the Merchant Category Code?!

Seconding that it depends on where you’re checking out in the parks and which card you’re using. I play the rewards game and while I’m not a churner at all I do have cards from a few issuers and from experience, they will generally count meal purchases as dining/restaurants. Mobile ordering is mostly how I use cards down there and they always count that as restaurant category.

That said, I personally tend to use magic bands for most meals because outside of the 5% dining quarters I get better discounts on Disney gift cards at BJs than cash back % (esp. nice in a 5% warehouse club quarter), so I stock up and use those to pay off the room bill. Discover It has restaurants at 5% when I go in August though so I’ll be using that for all my meals.

i am interested in getting a disney gift card (for 3x pts with united mpx app), but i'm not sure which credit card to use. do u know how disney codes (meaning: mcc - merchant category code) it's gift cards? travel? entertainment?

do u know if the mcc is the same for both visa and master card?

Every location varies. I just charge to the room and pay with dgc. Best way to save the most. I want to say that the store on main street didn’t code as travel/entertainment but that was a long time ago when I tested it. Then decided dgc were the best for us to pay

do u know how disney gift card codes if bought online? the united airlines' mpx app gives 3x pts, but i don't knw if should get the gift card with a travel rewards card (chase sapphire reserve (visa), citi premier (master card) both give 3x pts for travel and hotels, so a total of 6xpts/$), or play it safe and use my citi double cash card and get 2x pts + 3x for buying thru the app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!