Crescent Lake area breakfast - Bon Voyage, Cape May or Ale and Compass?

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
I realize these aren’t all in the same category but I was debating which of these is the best option for a breakfast before heading to Epcot for the day. We are staying at the BCV so transportation isn’t really an issue. I currently have Bon Voyage booked, but now I’m debating canceling. Worried it may take too long and the food will be too heavy. I also thought about Cape May but we are already doing another character meal with similar characters. My kids are DS 13 and DD 11. WWYD?

We (myself, DH & DD13) did both locations this summer (one on our arrival day the other on our departure day, both non park days) We loved both for different reasons. If I had to pick one to go back on our next trip, I'd pick Bon Voyage as we liked the food better.

Bon Voyage was a great meal - food was excellent, staff was very attentive & character interaction was not rushed (DD was Disney bounding as Rapunzel & they spent time with her.)
Cape May - food was good, different options being a buffet, character interaction was excellent-they stopped by many times, but the place was not full as it was the last seating.

We've done all three. In terms of food and service, we prefer Ale & Compass. We just did Cape May and Trattoria (the walk-up, a la carte version) in August. I found the Cape May food to be barely edible and the service at Trattoria was really slow, though the food was good. If you don't need a full breakfast, Les Halles in the France pavilion in EP is open at RD. They have amazing pastries and it's typically empty in the mornings.

We've done all three. In terms of food and service, we prefer Ale & Compass. We just did Cape May and Trattoria (the walk-up, a la carte version) in August. I found the Cape May food to be barely edible and the service at Trattoria was really slow, though the food was good. If you don't need a full breakfast, Les Halles in the France pavilion in EP is open at RD. They have amazing pastries and it's typically empty in the mornings.
Great tip on Les Halles as well! We were thinking a full breakfast for this particular morning and then an early dinner before EMH at MK, but I’m torn.

I realize these aren’t all in the same category but I was debating which of these is the best option for a breakfast before heading to Epcot for the day. We are staying at the BCV so transportation isn’t really an issue. I currently have Bon Voyage booked, but now I’m debating canceling. Worried it may take too long and the food will be too heavy. I also thought about Cape May but we are already doing another character meal with similar characters. My kids are DS 13 and DD 11. WWYD?
The shortest distance between BCV & Epcot are Cape May & Ale & Compass.

At ages 11 & 13, duplicate characters meals are likely not necessary....so I'd likely skip Cape May (as much as I like Goofy).

Food at Ale & Compass versus Bon Voyage is a negligible difference when removing the Characters from the equation.

So:

-- If you want Princes & Princesses, then Bon Voyage.

-- If you want the shortest distance, then Ale & Compass. You'd probably save money with Ale & Compass too.

Wildcard: If food quality is the largest consideration, then I'd look at Fresh too (inside Dolphin). Other than Boma & CA Grill brunch, this is my favorite buffet (because of food quality & freshly-pressed juices like wheatgrass). However, it's a bit further from Epcot than Bon Voyage (by maybe 3-minutes walking).

The shortest distance between BCV & Epcot are Cape May & Ale & Compass.

At ages 11 & 13, duplicate characters meals are likely not necessary....so I'd likely skip Cape May (as much as I like Goofy).

Food at Ale & Compass versus Bon Voyage is a negligible difference when removing the Characters from the equation.

So:

-- If you want Princes & Princesses, then Bon Voyage.

-- If you want the shortest distance, then Ale & Compass. You'd probably save money with Ale & Compass too.

Wildcard: If food quality is the largest consideration, then I'd look at Fresh too (inside Dolphin). Other than Boma & CA Grill brunch, this is my favorite buffet (because of food quality & freshly-pressed juices like wheatgrass). However, it's a bit further from Epcot than Bon Voyage (by maybe 3-minutes walking).
Great points! We love Boma too, but decided to skip it this trip. Doing Tusker House “Brunch” (10:30 ADR) because we’ve never tried it before (one of our goals for this vacation is to try new things). We haven’t been to a character meal in a very long time and my kids still love the fab 5.

We aren't into character meals so we haven't done Cape May or Trattoria, but that said we loved Ale and Compass. We've only eaten there once and while service wasn't great the food was so good we'll definitely be back.

We actually didn't like Bon Voyage all that much. The food was just ok, and we tried to talk to the characters but would only get a giggle and a signature. We went to Cape May on our last trip because it was in our resort and we were very pleasantly surprised. Huge selection of foods, the omelet station was great, and the characters came by multiple times and had great interactions with the kids (ages 8 and 9).

I too have found Cape May's breakfast to be very very good. We are doing Bon Voyage for the first time in a week.

Great points! We love Boma too, but decided to skip it this trip. Doing Tusker House “Brunch” (10:30 ADR) because we’ve never tried it before (one of our goals for this vacation is to try new things). We haven’t been to a character meal in a very long time and my kids still love the fab 5.
You won't get all of the Fab 5 at either Tusker or Cape May.

I believe the only meal for complete Fab 5 is Chef Mickey's (and this is the only reason to recommend Chef Mickey's).

I refer to Tusker House as 'Boma Lite' - because it has some of the flavors of Africa, but certainly not as extensive as Boma.

IMHO, Boma has better quality for their buffet, but it's not worth a trip to AKLodge (unless you have 'no-' or 'late-' plans for the Parks).

You won't get all of the Fab 5 at either Tusker or Cape May.

I believe the only meal for complete Fab 5 is Chef Mickey's (and this is the only reason to recommend Chef Mickey's).
This is true...when my two were little they loved Chef Mickey’s (but I didn’t think the food was very good.)
My son loves Donald and Goofy, so I wanted to make sure we picked a place to see both of them.

We actually didn't like Bon Voyage all that much. The food was just ok, and we tried to talk to the characters but would only get a giggle and a signature. We went to Cape May on our last trip because it was in our resort and we were very pleasantly surprised. Huge selection of foods, the omelet station was great, and the characters came by multiple times and had great interactions with the kids (ages 8 and 9).
This is one of the reasons why I was debating Cape May. Something to be said for having a place at your resort, and just walking down the hall.

Yeah, it was really great just walking downstairs and not having to bring everything for the park. We were on the dining plan, so we got our adult beverages to go and put them in the fridge for later.
Btw, Goofy and Donald come to the pool after breakfast. They played soccer, danced, took pictures- it was awesome. They spent so much time there that kids weren't really even going up to them anymore. It was after that interaction that we booked Cape May.

Last edited:
We did Ale & Compass a couple of months ago and found it to be good for breakfast. Not crowded in the least. I added on the buffet to my entrée so I got the fruit, yogurt, pastries as well as my eggs. It was an easy walk from BCV, too.

Bumping up - anyone with recent experiences to share? We eliminated Bon Voyage from consideration in lieu of convenience (staying at BCV). Now i'm debating between Cape May Cafe or Ale & Compass. Wondering which would be a better option for a last meal before heading to the airport. Unfortunately, we have to leave by 9:30am so I'm not sure any breakfast is going to be doable after VAH the night before. Trying to stay flexible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter