Crew going home/coming back

I read an article about the stranded crews for each cruise line. At the time of the article (a couple weeks ago), Disney was the bottom for repatriating the crew. That only around 23% of their crew had been able to go home, the remainder are all on the ships. No cruise line had very high numbers sent home, I believe the others were in the 30%s. Several cruise lines were currently sailing around the world trying to dock in each home country and see if the crews would be allowed off.
So if they never sent the crews home, then I doubt it would be much of an issue to restaff. They would just need to start paying them again so that the ships could be cleaned and sanitized from top to bottom. The crews are all living in guest cabins at this point. Many of the crew cannot really afford to just give up these jobs.

It was a really interesting (and long) article, you could feel the desperation from crew members the author interviewed.

I know not an answer and also a bit of a left turn but relevant-ish.

While the crew are still onboard, they still have to follow MLC, which means they have to go back to their home country/have a valid break off the ship.
Yes most onboard arent working at the moment, but they're also not on vacation.

a good number would have been at the end or come to the end during all this, and I know for me, as much as i love my job i need to get off and away from the ship before restarting.

By keeping them onboard and counting this time as their vacation, they could be away from home for well over a year, getting on for 2 years for some positions.

I've found it interesting to follow the Fantasy. It has gone to Cozumel, Puerto Cortes, La Romana, St. Vincent, Grenada, St. George, Trinidad, Soufriere and Falsmouth so far. So happy for all crew who have made it home.

Have there been similar efforts to get crew from the Wonder home? Since it's in San Diego it seems like it might be harder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts