Crocs in Europe?

ppiew

DIS Veteran
Love my Croc's! I have survived two EPCOT trips with them. Going on Imperial Cities in August, would they be appropriate over there?

Boy, that doesn't sound like something they'd wear over there. If you don't mind marking yourself as a tourist, I suppose you could wear them, but I'd recommend regular tennis shoes or nicer. I've only been to London/Paris/Italy, but I've never seen them for sale in Europe, nor have I seen anyone wearing anything like them. Personally, I'd opt against them, but then I don't wear them here, either.

True - they are touristy, but they are the most comfortable thing I have ever owned for walking! I know they don't look the best - but at my age comfort is king! I can pack walking shoes I suppose, just wondering about these things on the heavy walking and the cobblestones. Never thought I would be caught dead in the ugly things either, but after a blister in EPCOT, I bought a pair and couldn't believe the difference the airholes and wider toes made! I am hooked - just don't want to look like a slob!!!!

We have a gal on the Tell No Tales message board from Belgium. She has Crocs. In fact, she said the Disney Crocs just showed up over there.

Wore my "formal" (read black) Crocs all over Italy.

Several of the hotel showers had no shower mat or texture and tended to be very slippery...so I even wore them in the showers so that I didnt kill myself.

Be comfortable....you will be walking....ALOT

Kevin

Love my Croc's! I have survived two EPCOT trips with them. Going on Imperial Cities in August, would they be appropriate over there?

Yes, we got back last month from Italy, Spain, and France, and I saw many people (not only Americans) wearing them. Comfort is the main concern for me on a heavy walking tour. I just recently starting wearing Mickey Crocs, and the jury is still out for me, not sure I like them or not.

If you don't mind marking yourself as a tourist, I suppose you could wear them, but I'd recommend regular tennis shoes or nicer.

I wouldn't worry about "looking like a tourist", I think the tour bus and tour guide along with cameras etc, will already scream tourist. Whether it be a shoe, or the brand of jeans you wear, it'll be pretty easy to distinguish between an American tourist and an Eastern European.

Wore my "formal" (read black) Crocs all over Italy.

Several of the hotel showers had no shower mat or texture and tended to be very slippery...so I even wore them in the showers so that I didnt kill myself.

Be comfortable....you will be walking....ALOT

Kevin

My Mom and GF both wear primarily crocs. They to have pais of black formals.

If they are you comfy shoes, and will not cause you discomfort, go ahead and bring your crocs. I know they'll be atleast 3 people wearing them when we go in September.

German expat who spends several weeks/months in Europe chiming in. In fact, I just was in France and Germany last week.

there is a Crocs store now in Galleries Lafayette, along with at least one stand alone store in Paris. The only time I saw them in Paris last winter was what appeared to be an American wearing them on the Champs Elysees. I have seen more in DLRP however, and on the 4th of July in the midst of Paris they were everywhere on American tourists.

I have not seen any in Germany, but then we have been producing clog type shoes for years in leather, etc.

I post on flyertalk.com where footwear is a 'hot' issue for many - ie not appearing American. If you are proud of appearing American, there is nothing to stop you wearing them or white running shoes. I applaud you for your patriotism/loyalty/pride in your heritage.

As a European, I wear Geox mules or loafers, or slim line dark or coloured athletic inspired shoes. Generally, athletic ie 'running' shoes are worn in Europe for athletic endeavours, and 'walking' shoes are worn for, well, walking. There is a wide range of cute comfortable shoes available, many of which are now also sold in America.

Clothing varies greatly in Europe, and most locals will immediately recognize someone from 'away'. (I do tend to confuse people as due to my frequent international travel my wardrobe comes from a variety of countries) Nothing wrong with that; just that for some it is a sensitive topic. Wearing Crocs will not be the only thing that identifies one as a tourist.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable, both physically and mentally

I just saw that you are doing the Imperial Cities - I have no idea of the itinerary but that appears to be partially Austria? I am from the area of Germany closest to Salzburg, and have not yet seen Crocs there on either the German or the Austrian side.

Salzburg does tend to be a little more formal. Last summer I did see small pockets of American tourists, but not as many as I have seen in past years. Most of the ones I did see seemed to be dressed a little less casually than I have seen in other European cities ie men wearing khaki pants and collared woven shirts etc.

Love Love Love Bavaria! My great grandparents were from a small town outside of Stuttgart.
Yes, Imperial Cities visits Vienna, Salzburg, and Prague. I have been to Salzburg before but not the other two. My son and granddaughter (10) are coming with me and each of us 'picked' what we wanted to do and where to go. Son picked Croatia, I picked Vienna (which led the the ABD trip) and granddaughter picked Fussen Germany!! We took her there last year and she said she loved it the best of the places we had been (which included ABD London/Paris and DLP! So needless to say we are going back again this year.
Any special advice you might have on Bavaria please PM me - I would love to hear about it!

Hi ppiew! Crocs have been come to Germany this summer. I have seen them being sold at many places and I have seen people wearing them now and then, not as much as in Florida when I was there this February. I still think most people consider them to be mainly beach or garden shoes, so you don't see them in the streets that much. Hope you have a great trip!

Just returned from Viva Italia 8/3/07 One word of advise...wear whatever makes you happy. I wore thongs (flip flops) the whole time, my husband in sperry top siders and kids in sneakers and sandals. Please don't stress about wearing dark walking shoes and dark clothing...you will see everything. Regarding all the reports about the Italians in fashionable clothing...it was the exception, not the rule. :disrocks: Our tour guides wore colorful clothing and either sneakers, hiking shoes or sandals...and they looked great!

Just returned from Viva Italia 8/3/07 One word of advise...wear whatever makes you happy. I wore thongs (flip flops) the whole time, my husband in sperry top siders and kids in sneakers and sandals. Please don't stress about wearing dark walking shoes and dark clothing...you will see everything. Regarding all the reports about the Italians in fashionable clothing...it was the exception, not the rule. :disrocks: Our tour guides wore colorful clothing and either sneakers, hiking shoes or sandals...and they looked great!
Hooray for James, Leo, and Christina!!!!! Just had to throw that in there... Hack2112

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!