Crossroads in Wheelchair

Andrew Bichard

DIS Veteran
I will be staying on site at Disney (Boardwalk Villas) and will need to buy groceries at Crossroads. Problem is, I use an electric wheelchair that is too big to load into a taxi and I don't want to rent an adapted van. I can get to Downtown Disney Marketplace by internal Disney bus. I understand it is about 2.5 miles from DD to Crossroads, about an hour ride each way for me, which is not great in the heat of the day. How much shade is there along the way? Are there dropped wheelchair/stroller crossings in the sidewalks at each of the hotel entrances?

My wife could of course go over alone in a taxi to shop but I would like to go too.

I could order food to be delivered, but I like to look around the supermarkets myself.

Andrew

DH and I will be going to WDW soon, so I'll try to look for you.
Just from memory, It is quite a trek. The hotels have driveways entering from that street, so you would be able to get into them that way. THe area was also set up for hotel guests to walk to DD, so there are good sidewalks. Whether thay all have cut outs, I don't know, but my guess is that they do.
There is some shade, since the buildings along that road are older and well established. I don't know if the shade hits the sidewalks though. The most dangerous part is crossing the last highway before the crossroads. If I remember right, it is a 4 lane road with some extra turning lanes, so it's a long stretch to cross. A lot of drivers are tourists and have no idea where they are going, so keep alert. Once you cross that road, you have a fast food restaurant and a large parking lot without any shade before you get to the shops.

I talked to Mears yesterday about airport transportation and they have an equipted van , maybe they would arrange a grocery stop. I have no idea if they would but it may be worth asking.

I don't know if either of these would work, but they are worth a try.

1. If you could get onto one of the buses which runs to the "Hotel Plaza" hotels, and get off at the Royal Plaza or Best Western you would be MUCH closer to Crossroads than if you went only to Downtown Disney.

2. It does not hurt to check with the bell services desk at your hotel. They might be able to arrange a Disney van to take you (at no charge) or set up something with one of the taxi companies that would work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!