Crowds at BWV during Thanksgiving Week

tss2

DVC BWV and VB
How are the crowds at the parks and how difficult is it to get ressies during Thanksgiving week? Is it worth going and not having to take the kids (7 & 9) out of school as many days, or are the crowds enough that its better to go the week or two before Thanksgiving?

We usually go earlier in November and don't think the crowds are too bad. Plus we go during a week when my kids have a couple extra days off school. Teachers contract for 2002-2003 won't be decided till after my 11 month (possibly even after 7 month) window. Also we need a 2BR since we are taking my parents with us. They have never been to Disney and I'm worried big crowds might make touring harder for them. This is a special trip.

Any comments on your experiences in the parks and with ressies Thanksgiving week would be helpful! Thanks!

Last year we went from 11/11 - 11/19 and had a great time. The lines were not too bad. Used fastpass for a few of the bigger ones. A neighbor went the day we got back for Thanksgiving and had a totally different experience. Big crowds, major delays with their Thanksgiving dinner even though they made plans ahead, etc. Even the weather was much colder (that was just luck I know). She said they would never do Thanksgiving week again. You would have thought we went to 2 different places!
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

it is one of there busiest times of the year at the parks. You can call MS, but I wouldn't bank on a ressie at the BWV. Hey, you never know...

This is based on our experience, others may have had varied results...my advice: go before or after Thanksgiving week. We went 3 times in November, twice the week before Thanksgiving week and once during it. We were surprised at how different it was during Thanksgiving week. The crowds begin to grow on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and continue to do so during the week. It was very busy on Thanksgiving, Friday and Saturday. We have taken the kids out of school the week before because it was teacher conference week so they only had 3 days of school that week.

We were there last year the week before Thanksgiving week. We left Monday morning of Thanksgiving week. First of all, if you go the week before TG week, you'll be able to enjoy the final week of winefest. Secondly there were literally no crowds at all up until the Saturday before Thanksgiving. We noticed a big change in crowds on that day and it was getting very crowded by the Sunday before. So I'd try and go that week before if at all possible. One thing though, BWV is probably full. BWV is very tough to get during the Food and Wine fest. Good luck though, people cancel all the time!!

Laura

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, you're planning a trip with your parents for November of 2002. We took my parents (both in their 70's) this past January. IMHO, going in the off season really made the trip. My parents are not used to crowds and it would not have been possible for us to see and do all that we did if there had been crowds.

Thanksgiving week is SIGNIFICANTLY more crowded than early November. If you don't mind taking the kids out of school, I'd definitely recommend you go before or after Thanksgiving week. If you go the week after, you will also get to see the resort's Christmas decorations and be able to attend some of the special Christmas shows/events. Our favorite of these is the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT.

My advice is to just make the best guess you can regarding the school schedule and then go ahead and book at the 11 month window. November and December are quite popular times for DVC members to go, but you shouldn't have a problem booking at your 11 month window. When the school schedule does come out, you can try to change your dates if needed. You will also have time for the waitlist to work some magic and of course, the option to just keep what you have (and work something out with the teachers for the days the kids will miss).

The vacations we have taken with extended family are very precious to me. I hope you are able to work everything out for yours.

Thanks everyone! I definately think we will avoid Thanksgiving week! My parents are 66 & 71 and they are not used to crowds either! Plus they are not fast walkers! We usually go during the food and wine festival and love that too!

Going this November the week before Thanksgiving, again and can't wait for our first trip home! 35 days and counting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter