Crowds for 50th anniversary affected by closures?

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We rescheduled our May trip to October 2020, but I am feeling less and less certain about this trip as well due to all of the closures. If we end up canceling October 2020, we would be looking to go fall 2021..... but I am now worried about the 50th anniversary crowds. I already figured it would be crowded then, BEFORE COVID, but now with all of the pent-up demand, I am wondering if it's going to be insane.

Curious to get others thoughts on this. Would you plan to go fall 2021 or would you avoid it now?

I have been have the same conversation! We were scheduled for April, and now for September, but I'm feeling anxious about safety and a compromised Disney experience. We're thinking of a November trip next year, but my bet is that many of the people who were unable to go this year will also go next year, making the 2021 crowds even larger than they might have otherwise been. I'm torn, and will be watching what those who go in July and August have to say.

but I am now worried about the 50th anniversary crowds. I already figured it would be crowded then, BEFORE COVID, but now with all of the pent-up demand, I am wondering if it's going to be insane.

Curious to get others thoughts on this. Would you plan to go fall 2021 or would you avoid it now?
I think the crowds will be INSANE. For the reason you mention.

Still going!

Still going!
Yep at this point I feel like crowds are the least of my worries! I can handle that.. I know how to plan around it. :) I think I’ll take crowds over all the unknowns this year. Still holding out a little longer to see what happens this summer though...

The states that are going down are waiting for the second wave of covid19 now. Then supposedly there will be a third wave, maybe from Africa. From then on it may be seasonal.(don't shoot the messenger!) If you're young and healthy maybe you could go if there's a lull between 2 and 3. I wouldn't worry about the crowds, within reason, as long as they're healthy. You could wait a bit longer and save a bit more for a bigger and better trip!

My speculation will be Disney will extend some of the social distancing measures into late 2021 and early 2022 and I think Disney is rethinking/brainstorming right now how to space out the 50th anniversary celebrations over to 2022 and possibly into 2023 as a way to lessen the crowds next year. But this is my opinion... they seem to be taking COVID19 very seriously unlike some other theme parks. They have a corporate responsibility to make sure everything is up to standards that the tourism industry, UNWTO and WHO will be/is implementing. Everyone is fully aware that the 50th will bring crowds, so it will be interesting to see what the celebrations look like now.

I think we need to scrape any expectations that you may have had, Disney World is not going to be the WDW you remembered prior to COVID and that is okay! We are adaptable and resilient!

Hi all! We rescheduled our May trip to October 2020, but I am feeling less and less certain about this trip as well due to all of the closures. If we end up canceling October 2020, we would be looking to go fall 2021..... but I am now worried about the 50th anniversary crowds. I already figured it would be crowded then, BEFORE COVID, but now with all of the pent-up demand, I am wondering if it's going to be insane.

I am wondering the same thing. I have been thinking about going for the 50th anniversary for a few years

Still going!

I had been planning to go for the 50th anniversary for a few years. I just thought it would be a fun time to go. Now, that it is closer, with all this going on, I am wondering if I should postpone the trip. I knew it was going to be crazy busy before but with lots of people postponing their trips and no guarantee you can even get into any of the four parks, just something to think about. I have a feeling it might be like trying to get a ride on the new Star Wars ride with your chance of getting into a park gone in less than a minute or two.
Yep at this point I feel like crowds are the least of my worries! I can handle that.. I know how to plan around it. :) I think I’ll take crowds over all the unknowns this year. Still holding out a little longer to see what happens this summer though...

I agree! I just want to know what rides will be open so I can decide if it is worth it for us to go now or wait longer.

I was hoping to plan a trip for sometime in 2021, but for all the reasons already stated, I'm actually leaning more towards waiting and just focusing on putting together a bigger and more epic trip for Epcot40 in October 2022. I hate to wait so long, but personally I just feel like trying to go next year will be a hassle, and Epcot has always been my main park anyways so I'd rather just be patient and then go all out for that celebration in a couple years.

It’s so hard to think so far ahead. I feel like they can have To plan for A, B, C, D, E, etc

We are planning for the 50th...staying at the contemporary (room only res already booked back in May)

I expect the crowds to be low in general next year because financially we will be in a very deep recession and people will not be thinking of trips to Disney...but the 50th will bring all the bloggers and Disney nuts out, which is why we are staying at a hotel we can walk back and forth to MK.

I can’t believe it’s already the 50th...I still remember seeing the castle birthday cake for the 25th and being completely blown away (although so many people absolutely hated it). Don’t care what the crowds are, I’m going (so long as there is no major health concern at that time)!

I can’t believe it’s already the 50th...I still remember seeing the castle birthday cake for the 25th and being completely blown away (although so many people absolutely hated it). Don’t care what the crowds are, I’m going (so long as there is no major health concern at that time)!

I was there for the 25th as well. It was my 3rd trip to DW (first as an adult) and I remember being so confused as to why the castle had changed into a b-day cake. I think it was 1996 or 1997 and there was no internet then (ok, it existed but most people didn't have it at that time) so there was no social media to send instant information on. I had no idea it was the 25th anniversary and didn't find out until YEARS later why the castle was pink. I was one of the ones who hated it when I saw it but once I learned WHY it was like that and that it wasn't permanent I totally got it.

We are planning for the 50th...staying at the contemporary (room only res already booked back in May)

I expect the crowds to be low in general next year because financially we will be in a very deep recession and people will not be thinking of trips to Disney...but the 50th will bring all the bloggers and Disney nuts out, which is why we are staying at a hotel we can walk back and forth to MK.
[/QUOTE. Awesome 😎

I wonder if families will be pulling the kids out of school since many states will be getting back to in-class learning. I'm not sure when the different school vacations are but I know here in NH there are none for October. I mention this because a friend and I were talking about it and she said that she wouldn't be taking the kids out when they just got back full time! This might impact crowds as well do you think?

I wonder if families will be pulling the kids out of school since many states will be getting back to in-class learning. I'm not sure when the different school vacations are but I know here in NH there are none for October. I mention this because a friend and I were talking about it and she said that she wouldn't be taking the kids out when they just got back full time! This might impact crowds as well do you think?

We are pulling our kids out of school to go mid-October. (15, 13, 5, 2). I’ve always wanted to go during Food&Wine and experience Halloween, but worried about the older ones missing a week of school. At this point, they’ve been home for over a year. I will never again feel guilty about pulling them out for a week of vacation.

We are pulling our kids out of school to go mid-October. (15, 13, 5, 2). I’ve always wanted to go during Food&Wine and experience Halloween, but worried about the older ones missing a week of school. At this point, they’ve been home for over a year. I will never again feel guilty about pulling them out for a week of vacation.
You make a good point!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!