Cruise and Infirmary

Yentley

Earning My Ears
Do cruiseships typically have a staffed infirmary with pharmacy supplies for emergencies?

What do you have in mind? DCL ships have a medical center and at least some medications. It is not open 24/7 but medical personnel are on call if a guest contacts the front desk. I believe there is a charge for any medical service/prescription onboard, and it may or may not be reimbursed by your regular health insurance. Some OTC type products are available in the shops or Guest services, but it’s much more cost-efficient to bring what you might need with you — pain reliever, tummy upset, Benadryl, cold med, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

define 'emergency'. they are not going to refill an Rx you forgot. they can stabilize a heart attack or attack of appendicitis until you can be airlifted off. the fees are pretty steep, and they go on your ship board account and you have to wrestle with your travel insurance/regular medical insurance for reimbursement later. my most recent cruise has 2 Alphas( medical emergency) one was a seizure and she recovered on her own. the other a woman fell on the pool deck and banged up her left side( elbow and leg) pretty badly and sported a nifty ace bandage the rest of the cruise. in both cases, they were on scene in under 3 minutes. ( friend of ours is a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and just happened to be sunbathing not 5 feet forth seizure victim) hours are limited maybe 2-3 twice a day. they can handle simple things like sore throats and noro. they cannot and will not handle chemo, dialysis or anything like that.

OTC meds are available at a HUGE markup at the liquor store( which again., is only open certain hours of the day and not while in port)

A member of our party is insulin dependent. We will have redundant supplies but I’m curious whether on board medical staff carry glucagon and insulin for emergencies.

Neither immodium nor Lomotil (intestinal issues) were sold over the counter. I was told that one had to see a doctor (expensive) to get anything like that because they wanted heads up in case of sickness on board the ship.

Last edited:
A member of our party is insulin dependent. We will have redundant supplies but I’m curious whether on board medical staff carry glucagon and insulin for emergencies.

I’m sure they have supplies for true emergencies (hypoglycemic event), but you should really bring what you need and more besides. If just “i’m feeling low” situation, it could escalate if Medical isn’t Open right then and must be called. Plan that heat and activities in port may cause more lows than usual, and plan at least double the testing supplies usually used. I don’t think they’d be able to provide extra supplies for you to have, and it may not be the same brand meter/strips you need.

Enjoy your cruise!

as other have said they may not have what you need

but for lows you can use other things besides glucose like sprite, or other soft drinks, juice, but if you family member needs glucagon then you really should be seeking emergency help. since in the US insulin is an RX ( I know Walmart sells NPH OTC) I go not see them having this on bard I would take a little more then you need like an extra vile or pen in case you drop the vile pen does not work whatever, I would do the same for test strips have more then you think you need ( doubled at lest) also get a back up meter ( one that works with you strips) and lancet device

on a cruse you need to have what every you might need and you really should not count on them to have anything ( beside food and drinks for if you go low, and I would not even count on this as you do not know how long it will take to get somethings if your family member is going low better to have something with you.

Oh, a good things for lows is icing that you put on cakes you can get them in small tubs and they taste better than glucose gell.

I got stung by a bee while up on deck. I called the medical center number and the nurse
asked if I needed to see the doctor. I said no I'd like you to look at it. I am not allergic so
she gave me ointment and benedryl. It just got really red but the meds helped. I was charged a minimal
amount on my shipboard account for the meds, but no office visit. on the other hand DH have to visit the center to get a release for a shore excursion. We were
charged $145 for an office visit, and he gave him a release to get his excursion fee returned.
Since he is on medicare and were were in Alaska, I submitted it to medicare, then cruise insurance
paid the difference to make us whole.

On our Disney cruise, my oldest started wheezing (he used to have asthma), then quickly developed severe bronchitis. He was given a chest Xray, antibiotics, tylenol for his high fever. Our health insurance reimbursed most of it, and the travel insurance covered the rest (plus follow ups at home).

Note to self: if we ever cruise again (which is unlikely), do not get an inside cabin. It was the lack of fresh air that kicked it all off for him.

Our health insurance reimbursed most of it

This will vary depending on your usual health insurance. Some include “foreign” coverage but others do not. Medical services onboard are considered to be “foreign” (not in the U.S.). Travel insurance with medical and evacuation can be a good investment for peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!