Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last update tonight: per an automated CM voicemail on my in-room phone, resort watercraft transportation WILL be available "directly to Magic Kingdom" tomorrow from the Polynesian. They distinguished this from the ferryboat over at the TTC, which will begin running at 8:30am tomorrow morning. They didn't say what time watercraft service will begin.

ETA: Despite the voicemail, there’s no resort watercraft transportation “at this time.”

Last edited:
I’m finally getting back here to give an update.
It ended up taking me 1.5hrs to get to AK which is normally a 40 minute drive at most.
I finally made it to the parking lot around 9:10am and there were only 3 other cars going through. I got parked on the second row in the “fill in” slots. There was no wait to go through temperature check and I also walked straight through security. I only took my phone so I just held it in my hand. It had rained but it stopped just as I was going through the turnstiles and I went straight to Navi River, it ended up being a 12 minute wait because they cleaned the boats. Then I walked on to FOP. Seriously walked straight through and it’s still the most beautiful ride I’ve ever ridden. (ROTR is the most immersive) so I decided to ride it again and walked on a second time. Headed to Dinosaur and walked on. Then did mobile order for Flame Tree (my favorite counter service) and I only waited about 10 mins for my order to be ready. Then I walked to Everest and pretty much walked on. Then I called it a day because I could see the storm rolling in.

I don’t feel like there was anywhere near 1000+ people in AK today, I know there was some discussion about how many preview slots were available. And because it didn’t seem to be a lot of people I saw everyone social distancing properly for the most part. My first ride on FOP the party behind me and a little boy (maybe around 8-10yr) that would not social distance and he walked so close behind me that he stepped on the back of my shoe twice so I turned around to say something but his mother snatched him back. I’m glad she corrected him but I wish she had done it BEFORE he stepped on my heels.
Every person I saw had their mask on correctly with the exception of one woman in the Navi River line who took her mask off to eat in line. She was eating chips very slowly and because they were in the group behind me I heard her and someone in her party joking about it. It really does disgust me when people gloat about skirting the rules.
There was sanitizer everywhere outside of the rides, but only one at the exit of the queues and they dispense slowly and a tiny amount. Disney needs to add a couple more at the exit to prevent a back up of people using them.

Overall I’m very glad I went. I missed it so much and when I drove into parking lot I felt just a sense of relief and calm come over me. Visiting the parks is how I de-stress so being back today was definitely much needed. And yes I cried when I laid eyes on the tree of life coming across the bridge.

It is AWFULLY tempting, but I already have a late August visit to the Contemporary that I've had booked since April, so swinging another September resort stay is a bit too soon. I'm going to hold out for October discount possibilities. But really, I think I saw a Deluxe resort for ~$250/night in September.
I’m not quite at the stay at the resorts level of comfort (I’m probably on day trips for a while), but I’ve always wanted to stay at Beach Club, and those rates are awfully tempting...

I won't lie, I'm still reticent while the wife is like, "Let's do this!" Total reversal from us normally. I'm hopeful.

Oh, bought a mask, Large and it is not comfortable at all. Heavier material than the ones my wife and others have made and the ear straps aren't long enough, really pulling at the ear.
You might try the masks at Vera Bradley in DS (you can also order them). They seem to run a little bigger than some of the other masks I’ve seen.

Are local parks really a replacement for Disney for people? If we don’t go to Disney, we don’t go to any other park instead. Disney is the draw, and I know many others who are the same. We are not amusement parks fanatics, we are Disney parks fanatics.

I have no desire to go to my local Six Flags in general, and DEFINITELY not during a pandemic.

ETA: quoted the wrong post here, can’t insert the correct one - was commenting on @Jrb1979 post.

Yes, I am the same. I am not an amusement park fan. I'm a Disney parks and resorts fan. I could walk around EP, AK and MK all day (DHS, not so much!) and be happy without ever going on a ride. It's the immersive atmosphere, music, food, CMs that make it so special to me. It's the "architecture of reassurance" that gets me every time. Our Disney replacement this summer will be going to the Poconos in PA to experience the lake, boating, hiking, etc. No local amusement parks for us.

Besides it can’t be worse then what Craig just posted on the Dis instastories after checking in at the Poly. He had to remove a booger from the couch. It must have been noticeable enough to see right away during his room tour. So yeah, mouse-keeping should have caught it.
Can you imagine if Pete had gone and had that room as planned, I thought I heard that was the plan somewhere...He would of lost his freakin mind...the rant heard round the world..:)

For us, not even close! Disney has actually made us enjoy most other amusement parks less over time 😬, we’ve kind of learned not to bother, except for a select few. We find ourselves just being like, this isn’t Disney. I want to be in Disney. Where’s my castle?? I’d rather save the money and wait for Disney.

We didn’t replace our Disney trip. Any money that came back went back into our Disney fund 😂. We’re having a very chill summer (and spring, and probably fall...)

I cant remember the last time I went to a local park. A couple of six flags parks are around us and it never even registered to go to them...especially now.

We debated rescheduling for next summer but in all honesty it could be exactly the same by then. We just don't know. So the plan for now is to go in mid September....as long as the travel quarentine for NY is lifted that is.

Everyone is just doing what feels right for them and that all everyone can really do in this situation. I hope everyone has an amazing time returning to Disney no matter if your trip starts tomorrow or a year from now.

It’s official in Florida time - Happy Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom opening day :goodvibes :love:

We’re not the only ones making guesstimates about park capacity. Click Orlando (not sure their reputation) put out these numbers today, based on 2018 attendance estimates. What a dream! Anyone who is going in these next few weeks, ENJOY IT as much as possible!

https://www.clickorlando.com/entert...-park-reopens-we-take-a-guess-at-the-numbers/

9E709C17-93B3-4214-896A-3354C5C05933.jpeg

Are local parks really a replacement for Disney for people? If we don’t go to Disney, we don’t go to any other park instead. Disney is the draw, and I know many others who are the same. We are not amusement parks fanatics, we are Disney parks fanatics.

I have no desire to go to my local Six Flags in general, and DEFINITELY not during a pandemic.

ETA: quoted the wrong post here, can’t insert the correct one - was commenting on @Jrb1979 post.
I am an amusement park fan and visit multiple parks a year. I like riding coasters. Theming doesn't do much for me.

What I was talking about was once the pandemic is over people are more likely to go to their local park versus a Disney vacation as financially many won't be able to afford it due to the economy being bad.

Disney and Universal fanatic here. But I know plenty of people who fiend coasters and will go to any and all parks.

Someone got affronted when I said it a few pages ago but I agree. If you're not a coaster fanatic or a parent of small kids there's not much to speak of park wise within driving distance of NYC. I literally would not go back to Six Flags for free. That's not hyperbole either, considering the last time I went there it was legitimately for free back when they were running a promo for passholders to bring a friend for free Friday, I went with my friends and had an abject time holding their crap all day and playing Bejeweled on my phone while they went on coasters. It was filthy. Every time I go there is worse than the last and I'm always gobsmacked by how absolutely chintzy and tacky the place is for how much they charge to get in. Hershey is at least clean and well kept with semi-decent food but again if you're not into coasters there's not much for you except Chocolate World (which is really cool, but not worth the drive on its own imo). I was born in NYC and lived here all but 2 years of my life and I feel like it says a lot that I've never had an annual/season pass for a park except for a place I have to get on a plane to visit. All these local places are generic and basically the same to me except for cleanliness level and what IPs they've licensed, I'm not a commando type crossing "world's craziest ____" rides off a list and that's why they don't do anything for me. I want the full package of immersion, a diversity of attractions, thoughtful theming, etc that I can only get at Disney.

If I don't go to Disney I'm staying home or seeking out something besides parks.

Someone got affronted when I said it a few pages ago but I agree. If you're not a coaster fanatic or a parent of small kids there's not much to speak of park wise within driving distance of NYC. I literally would not go back to Six Flags for free. That's not hyperbole either, considering the last time I went there it was legitimately for free back when they were running a promo for passholders to bring a friend for free Friday, I went with my friends and had an abject time holding their crap all day and playing Bejeweled on my phone while they went on coasters. It was filthy. Every time I go there is worse than the last and I'm always gobsmacked by how absolutely chintzy and tacky the place is for how much they charge to get in. Hershey is at least clean and well kept with semi-decent food but again if you're not into coasters there's not much for you except Chocolate World (which is really cool, but not worth the drive on its own imo). I was born in NYC and lived here all but 2 years of my life and I feel like it says a lot that I've never had an annual/season pass for a park except for a place I have to get on a plane to visit. All these local places are generic and basically the same to me except for cleanliness level and what IPs they've licensed, I'm not a commando type crossing "world's craziest ____" rides off a list and that's why they don't do anything for me. I want the full package of immersion, a diversity of attractions, thoughtful theming, etc that I can only get at Disney.

If I don't go to Disney I'm staying home or seeking out something besides parks.

The gross things I’ve seen guests do at Six Flags Great Adventure would make an iron stomach churn. I used to go to Elitch Gardens and their water park connected to it out when I lived in Denver. The theme park was used as a substitute for a babysitter. I’ve seen 10-12 year olds dropped off at the front gate by themselves as their parents sped off after telling them to have a good day. And at the Waterpark parent would let their toddlers run around with no clothes and get in the pools. Local parks are fun for a day trip when I feel like getting on rollercoasters, but they’re really disgusting. So would I trust SFGA or any of my local parks enough to be clean during this period of time and go? Absolutely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter