Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
With many many years of exp with Florida tourism..
I can safely say this is what I use to call "saturation week".
The crowds are high right before most schools start, up till the second weekend of August, then it will thin out quick.
They know that and reduced hours because they will be slow with lower bookings going forward till people feel better about their health and wealth.
They are now a mostly drive to destination for awhile, weekends with nice weather will be crowded but during the week not so much....

Epcot today felt like a normal day. I was here last September during a low time and it felt way busier today. Mexico was so busy they shut down the pyramid to allow it to clear out then start keeping capacity low. Line for Choza was 35 people deep. Line for La Cava was out up the ramp, through that lobby area and heading out the door of the pyramid. Line for Frozen was shut down for a while as well as it went too far past the distance markers. Lines for F&W booths were non-starters as they were all crazy long and it was too hot to wait. Thinking the blackout lift may boost some Disney spending at least for a couple weeks as pent up demand is released a bit with the second round of APs coming in.

We were on the fence about coming for weeks. The only reason we came was because reports of long lines lead us to believe it would be safe while walking on everything. Not the case, at least not today. Frozen was a full 40 minute wait. Nemo was wrapped around out of the building and was about 30 minutes. Soarin hit 50 minutes. We did five rides today and were in the park six hours. Hoping things have calmed down a bit when we go back tonight.

Epcot today felt like a normal day. I was here last September during a low time and it felt way busier today. Mexico was so busy they shut down the pyramid to allow it to clear out then start keeping capacity low. Line for Choza was 35 people deep. Line for La Cava was out up the ramp, through that lobby area and heading out the door of the pyramid. Line for Frozen was shut down for a while as well as it went too far past the distance markers. Lines for F&W booths were non-starters as they were all crazy long and it was too hot to wait. Thinking the blackout lift may boost some Disney spending at least for a couple weeks as pent up demand is released a bit with the second round of APs coming in.

We were on the fence about coming for weeks. The only reason we came was because reports of long lines lead us to believe it would be safe while walking on everything. Not the case, at least not today. Frozen was a full 40 minute wait. Nemo was wrapped around out of the building and was about 30 minutes. Soarin hit 50 minutes. We did five rides today and were in the park six hours. Hoping things have calmed down a bit when we go back tonight.
I wonder how much of that is bc it's Saturday. We went on Thurs, July 30, but didn't get into the park until around 1ish. There were very few people up by Spaceship Earth. The waits for LVTL and Soarin' both said 10 min but were walk-ons. When we first arrived (via Skyliner, so in the IG), there were people around WS but crowds were light. If there were guests at the F&W booths, it was only 1 or 2 people. After around 3-4 pm, WS had even fewer people.

Attachments

• BBA2B62A-7AC5-40DF-9103-DACEFE2C0016.jpeg
    BBA2B62A-7AC5-40DF-9103-DACEFE2C0016.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 47C05EB4-B966-4AF3-BC02-D8A1CDF140EA.jpeg
    47C05EB4-B966-4AF3-BC02-D8A1CDF140EA.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 9511D3B7-F2D8-46FF-AFD1-5CBDC614434C.jpeg
    9511D3B7-F2D8-46FF-AFD1-5CBDC614434C.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 34
I never know who takes these polls. Not just Disney ones, any.
Before the internet, did people actually get calls to answer these questions?

I've never been asked to take a poll. Do people just see them on websites? Is that where these numbers come from?

::Raising hand::

I've done several, including on theme parks, even just in the past two weeks.

Sites like Swagbucks, YouGov, PaidViewpoint provide surveys for hundreds of other survey affiliate companies, who in turn are creating surveys for tens of thousands of companies of all sorts around the world, and they survey many people across the range of ages and backgrounds of every sort.

Right now the hundreds of surveys I do online a week for various companies are heavy on Covid related things (safety measures necessary to get people back in various places, commercials) and politics, but it truly covers the gamut.

Anyway, I'm at least one here on DIS who has answered them...and more than once for different companies.

Also, sometimes it's obvious it's for a specific brand - (i.e. Universal/Disney/a particular zoo/etc. wanting to see what things would get someone back in) and other times it's in general (would you be comfortable doing ____ indoor dining, flying domestically, traveling internationally, going to a theme park, etc. in general now, if not when and/or what things would need to happen before you would)

I wonder how much of that is bc it's Saturday. We went on Thurs, July 30, but didn't get into the park until around 1ish. There were very few people up by Spaceship Earth. The waits for LVTL and Soarin' both said 10 min but were walk-ons. When we first arrived (via Skyliner, so in the IG), there were people around WS but crowds were light. If there were guests at the F&W booths, it was only 1 or 2 people. After around 3-4 pm, WS had even fewer people.
It’s been open a few Saturdays now and I don’t remember seeing any reports of crowds like this but :confused3

It’s been open a few Saturdays now and I don’t remember seeing any reports of crowds like this but :confused3
Silver AP blockout ended on 8/6. This is the first weekend that they can go since the parks reopened. Disney also is extending CMs self-admission to all the parks, except HS, thru August 13. This is their last weekend to play. That could explain the bigger crowd at EPCOT.

Yeah, I honestly don't know. I seem to remember hearing about larger crowds over the weekends (which would make sense - more locals able to go). We were at DHS last Saturday, which has been more crowded than the other parks anyway, so I can't say from experience if weekends are more crowded at EPCOT.
I honestly thought that EPCOT was the only "depressing" one of the four parks. We usually spend most of our time in WS, but with so many shops closed, we didn't linger. Usually WS has such a fun, bustling, festival-type atmosphere (even outside actual festivals). I missed seeing people crowded around listening to music, watching the acrobats, etc. Also, since we don't usually focus on rides at EPCOT, the normal 3 pre-booked FP+ tend to be enough, so the super short lines this time weren't a huge boon. The only thing I felt was a real benefit this time was we tried Le Cellier for the first time. I'd been wary bc I've read so many reports of how close the tables are, that everyone's packed in like sardines. Instead, the tables were far apart, it was a very relaxed atmosphere, and our server was attentive.

How was everyone as far as distancing themselves and wearing their masks? Good compliance or not as much?

Silver AP blockout ended on 8/6. This is the first weekend that they can go since the parks reopened. Disney also is extending CMs self-admission to all the parks, except HS, thru August 13. This is their last weekend to play. That could explain the bigger crowd at EPCOT.
Agreed. I think that’s definitely playing a role.

Friends (locals) were at Universal today. Said it was like a busier than a normal summer Saturday today. Hogsmeade was completely wall to wall when they were there - nowhere to move. They have been a number of times since opening and said today was very different.

Friends (locals) were at Universal today. Said it was like a busier than a normal summer Saturday today. Hogsmeade was completely wall to wall when they were there - nowhere to move. They have been a number of times since opening and said today was very different.

So Universal has abandoned their social distancing measures? I hope FL doesn't see yet another spike in cases after this weekend.

Great compliance. I really think people are trying their best even when they slip up here and there. Heat index of 111 too!

but social distancing has felt pretty nonexistent.
Interesting. I know ppl have had to ask others to back up in lines, etc, but we didn't ever have to do that. It seemed like distancing in ride queues was better than in stores, but most people were still mindful even in WOD. In places where people seemed less concerned about distancing (like WOD or DS in general), at least it was fairly easy for us to back up and wait for crowds to pass. Aside from stores, around the photos (esp Splash) were prob the worst areas for distancing. Oh, and outside Pecos. Lots of ppl upset about mobile order for whatever reason, and they'd crowd around the CM outside Pecos to complain or ask to go in and order.

Masks compliance was also quite good. However, whereas distancing in ride queues was very good, it was in ride queues when we saw the worst mask "offenses." For ex, in line for MF:SR, there was a party of 3 directly ahead of us (one male, two females, all prob in their 30s). The man was drinking a beer while walking, and then kept it off after he finished his beer. Didn't put his mask back on until we got closer to Hondo, but even then, he put it on upside down so it was hanging wide open on top (nose completely uncovered). We stayed 2 "please stand here" stickers back, and no one seemed to mind. It's awkward as a guest, bc you never know how someone's going to react if you ask them to put on their mask. We wished there had been more CMs in ride lines to tell people.

Even little kids seemed to be doing well with masks. And when one did have theirs down, the parents were telling them to put them back on correctly.

I'm just wondering because I never pay attention. Are there any resort discounts happening now until end of year?

If not, are there normally discounts now? Or do they normally come out later?

I'm just wondering because I never pay attention. Are there any resort discounts happening now until end of year?

If not, are there normally discounts now? Or do they normally come out later?
There are AP discounts for September but that’s about it for now.

So according to the calendar, there's no availability for HS for passholders on 9/4 but I just booked two spots. Repeating what others have said- don't trust the calendar, just try to book it and see what happens.

Last edited:
Yes with numbers improving nationwide and in Florida that is the case
Its like that here too. Our numbers have dropped significantly so many more are going out. Still most are staying close to home for their vacations here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter