Cruise or Land?

suezpqt

Mouseketeer
Please help me -

I have had a reservation for the 9/20/03 Magic cruise since 9/21/02. Now that I hear the possibility of the Norwalk being back around I am really nervous. Yes, I know that the cruise is 17 weeks away but - - - I don't want to spend all this money & run the risk of all of us (7 in total) getting sick.

I found a 2 bedroom Suite at Holiday Inn Family Suites for $122.09 nightly in Orlando. Do you think that our 3 1/2 DD would have more fun on the Cruise or at Disney itself?

Please help - I need to figure out what to do -

Thanks in advance to those with their opinions. I have gotten so much helpful information from here.

:Pinkbounc

Land vacation does not guarantee that you'll be illness free. Norwalk virus (essentially a form of stomach flu) is also common on land. In fact, that's where it comes from - someone bringing it onto the ship and spreading it to others.

I have 3 young children (DS5, DD3, DD2). I'd say DCL is preferred by all.

Within 24 hours of starting our recent 4 day Wonder cruise we all knew 4 days wasn't going to be enough.

We disembarked and we were actually SAD to be heading to WDW! (that's WEIRD!)

My 8 yr old dd even said she'd trade the 9 days at WDW for just 4 more on the cruise!!!

I'd go cruise. Just wash your hands frequently.

I also have to agree that you have just as much a chance on getting a Norwalk like virus anywhere, just not on a boat. We were in WDW in Feb, and DS got sick 2 days before we were to leave, DD got sick on the ride home from the airport, I got sick the day after and the DH got sick. So, as you can see, we did get a Norwalk type virus in WDW, but nobody got sick on our Nov 2002 cruise. It's luck of the draw, if you kep your hands clean, and be careful, you shouldn't have a problem. It can happen anywhere. I remember last year when my DD's ENTIRE preschool class was sick, obviously no one was on a cruise ship or vacation then.

Hi suezpqt.

Now that I hear the possibility of the Norwalk being back around I am really nervous. Yes, I know that the cruise is 17 weeks away but - - - I don't want to spend all this money & run the risk of all of us (7 in total) getting sick.

There are no guarantees that even if the Norwalk-like virus is eliminated that you won't experience a minor illness of one kind or another while onboard the ship. Just take the appropriate precautions and worry about something you have more control over - like who your son/daughter marries...

I found a 2 bedroom Suite at Holiday Inn Family Suites for $122.09 nightly in Orlando.

The expense of this alternative vacation may be less than a cruise, but it's still costly. And the Norwalk-like virus isn't merely a seafaring illness. So if it's a major concern relative to monies spent, perhaps you should curtail family travels until this virus has been better identified and contained...

Originally posted by suezpqt
I found a 2 bedroom Suite at Holiday Inn Family Suites for $122.09 nightly in Orlando.

BD makes a good point, the alternative vacation is still costly.

Doing some calculations, $122/night for 7 nights still comes out to over $850. And that doesn't cover ANY food or ANY sort of entertainment.

If you each limit yourself to three meals a day (no snacks) and those meals cost only $4 each, then you've got another $250 in food (and not good food at that!)

And still no guarantee that everyone will stay healthy.

(edited for poor math!)

Very funny Buckaroo.....who really has control over who our kids marry? My mother in law didn't!!!!!

While I agree that the stomach virus is not a fun way to spend a vacation, it can happen on any vacation. My kids have gotten sick on land vacations and sometimes at home even before we leave...various type illnesses, not just norwalk. I think though if I were you, I would avoid travelling during winter months as flus tend to be more rampant during that time of year.

Anyway, go for the cruise...you and your kids will love it...mine did!! Don't let it run your life, or you'll never go!

Thank you all for your input/suggestions.

I think that I am going to stick with the Cruise and keep my fingers (& toes!) crossed that no one gets sick.

Can't wait to go - 17 weeks!!!

Originally posted by ohiominnie
My 8 yr old dd even said she'd trade the 9 days at WDW for just 4 more on the cruise!!!

My 8 and 15 year olds both said the exact same thing! They'd trade the parks for the cruise any day!

Michelle

Consider this:

We're leaving 6/28 to BWV for a week followed by the week cruise and ending with 5 days at AKL. Now it all sounds great, but I'll tell you the truth. All the kids talk about is the cruise-what they'll wear, what they'll do, where they'll go, their whole itineraries have been made for months now. I'm looking forward to the entire vacation, but I'll admit the cruise is definitely the icing on the cake. If we were to choose between land & sea, we would all vote for sea. The illness factor doesn't bother us at all. You can get sick anywhere. In fact, I'm more concerned about getting sick from someone on the airplane ride over to Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter