Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean' started by cory30, Apr 11, 2018.
It may be because I was looking at the same time.
Still no luck but I really appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of this.
Following- I really hope your TA gets this sorted for you!
Alaska is the one place I would not take 2 insides, period. You need at least a window. If your TA can not get you that, I would be inclined to insist she refund your airfare, or at least cover the change fee, and book it again for the next summer. The views are stunning and you don't want to miss them when you need to be in the cabin.
The only problem with that is you get a price drop before final payment is due you can't take advantage of it. Once paid in full you can't price drop. We saved about $500 on our Owners Suite with a price drop.
I am not OCD enough to check rates. I book at a rate I am satisfied with and leave it alone.
That's not true. It's final payment date, not when you make the final payment. Unless that's changed very recently.
I am in no way OCD. But 2 minutes of my time a week to save hundreds, not a bad investment
Well if it isn't true RC needs to train their agents better. We were told that on our last 2 cruises in the Next Cruise onboard.
Yes they do. They either gave you incorrect information or misunderstood.
OH definitely not misunderstanding. Was even told to hold back $100 until last minute in case of price drop We leave on 29th, so gonna ask & get the real deal.
Thanks for heads up!!!
Update - after talking things over with the family we decided that an ocean view of some type was what we needed or we would need to look for a different sailing. We decided to make a clean break and have booked a balcony cabin on the Celebrity Solstice which sails on the same dates from the same port (which allows us to keep our existing flight and pre and post cruise arrangements). The room will be smaller than what we originally booked and will cost more but we will enjoy the balcony and the change in ship will help with our "what might have been" thoughts.
Now for the twist - as mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a Larger Panoramic Ocean view cabin showing available on our original sailing earlier. I made my TA aware but didn't hear back for several hours. Later that day we received an email indicating that our TA had found a standard Panoramic Ocean view on our original sailing and had gone ahead and made the reservation and charged our credit card. To the TA's credit they did secure the room at the same price as our original reservation (although it is a much smaller room). With that said, we have decided to move on and informed the TA that we are not interested in the smaller room as we really just need a clean break. At this point the TA is not wanting to cancel the reservation and has offered a $100 OBC for our troubles.
While I appreciate the TA attempting to find an acceptable room/resolution, I don't appreciate him/her making the reservation and charging my credit card without checking with me/getting my authorization. While I did give authorization to pay in full the original reservation, once that was cancelled that authorization should have been void as well. I am hopeful that this doesn't turn into me fighting cancellation fees as we are inside the penalty window.
Sorry for the long winded post, but I appreciate the feedback and good thoughts from the board.
We're on that ship! I hope you can get ALL your $ back on the second one your TA booked.
Wow. This just went from a total failure on the TA's part to a potential legal issue. You are going to want to look at any agreements you made to see if you gave them permission to charge anything to your credit card other than the original reservation. If not and you didn't give them verbal permission to do it then their actions could be considered fraudulent. At this point you might consider getting advice from a legal expert if the TA isn't willing to refund every penny you gave them.
Ok, 100% opinion time again: Your TA's solution is a complete slap to the face. A smaller room for the same price is not acceptable. If I'm reading right the pitiful OBC offer was only offered after you told them you didn't want the unauthorized rebooking, correct? So they screwed up your reservation and to make it up to you they got you a smaller room at the same price and without your permission? And when you told them to cancel it they try enticing you with an OBC so small you can't even cover gratuities with it? In a less family friendly setting I would have some colorful comments and analogies to make regarding all of that.
Good luck and enjoy the Celebrity cruise. I hope this all is corrected smoothly from here out. It is in the TA's best interest to do so and hopefully they realize that.
FYI now on royal if you do a price drop the whole thing is rebooked, so you can easily lose obc or any other goodies you might have had. And it often becomes a nonrefundable deposit. So know what you’re doing and be careful.
We were lucky our drop came with a better OBC. We actually took an upsell from GS to Owners Suite & got a few more perks too. Upsell wasn't bad $200 but I know they were able to resell the GS for a better price for them. I know because the folks who took it, they are sailing with us.
OP, was the TA aware that you were booking elsewhere and wanted a clean break from Royal but she went ahead and booked you anyway? Or did she not know you went elsewhere and thought you were expecting her to still work things out with Royal and then secured this bookingt? If the latter, I'd give the TA the benefit of the doubt that she thought she was doing right by you by getting you something at the same price and wanted to lock it down. But $100 OBC wouldn't cut it. She also should be understanding and willing to cancel without hassle now after all that has happened.
Sorry it went this way, OP, but it sounds like you've worked things out on your end! Enjoy your trip!
OP - if the TA refuses to cancel and refund, log a dispute with your credit card company ASAP. Is most of your communication via email?
I certainly hope the TA didn't pay RCI for the final payment for the new room with her credit card if it is past final payment date, and thus partially non-refundable.
The TA was not aware that I was booking/had booked elsewhere at that point so I think they probably truly went ahead and booked the other room thinking that I would be ok with it. I had not specifically told the TA to keep looking for me, I had told them that the two options presented (inside cabins) were not acceptable and we would need to consider other options.
Well, the situation continues to evolve. As I had not heard back from my TA as of yesterday afternoon I sent another email again formally requesting that the reservation with RCI be cancelled and that a full refund be issued to my credit card. Later that afternoon, I received a response from our TA indicating that after working with the RCI escalations department they were able to recover our original cabin. Additionally, the $100 additional OBC would remain due to all of the issues. At this point I explained to the TA that I appreciated their efforts but had an issue as I now had two reservations and was facing cancellation penalties. Given a number of factors (overall costs, room size, kids preferences, etc.) we would prefer to keep the RCI reservation now that our original room is intact so I have asked the TA to see if, given the circumstances, Celebrity would cancel the reservation and waive any required cancellation fees. The TA indicated they would do so and provide me with an update later today. So, we will see what happens and where we go from here.
While I am happy (and surprised) that we were able to secure our original room, I am frustrated that it took this long to get to this point and may still end up costing me more money than originally budgeted.
Separate names with a comma.