Cruise with Confidence: rules when you book and more questions

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I have decided to use the "Cruise with Confidence" program but I have not received my certificate yet.

My friends and I are interested in one specific cruise.

I have a few questions:

1) Can you use the certificate to pay the deposit? (or I have to pay the deposit and then I can use my certificate to pay off the rest of my cruise).

2) If the cost of the cruise is lower than the certificate, can use the credit for something else? (ex: drink package, excursions.)

FYI, I'm interested in any additional detail you could provide.

Thanks in advance.

No you cant use any leftover credit for on board expenses. I know I have to pay another $300 or so by the end of October. Pretty sure it’s taxes and fees, which is also not covered by any FCC.

my original cruise was paid off, so didn’t have to pay another deposit when I booked the new cruise. And I have leftover funds as well, and they cannot be used towards them. Which sucks cuz it’s doubtful we Can take another cruise to use up the rest of it.

No you cant use any leftover credit for on board expenses. I know I have to pay another $300 or so by the end of October. Pretty sure it’s taxes and fees, which is also not covered by any FCC.

my original cruise was paid off, so didn’t have to pay another deposit when I booked the new cruise. And I have leftover funds as well, and they cannot be used towards them. Which sucks cuz it’s doubtful we Can take another cruise to use up the rest of it.

Wait... Let’s say I have 700$ of FCC.

But my fare is only 500$. What happens to the 200$ I haven’t used?

Oh well. I guess I’ll use all of it to pay my friend’s fares as well, then.
I’m not sure if you can. We were told that our FCC was assigned to each of us and therefore had to be used by each of us. Please post if you are able to use if for your friend.

I’m not sure if you can. We were told that our FCC was assigned to each of us and therefore had to be used by each of us. Please post if you are able to use if for your friend.

This could change the story but we had not paid in full yet. There was no specific amount associated to anyone.

P.s.: Everything was paid with my credit card and all expenses (drink package, excursion, etc.) will be returned to my credit card.

This could change the story but we had not paid in full yet. There was no specific amount associated to anyone.
Typically when you book an RCL cruise they take the names of each passenger. The bill is broken up by passenger in a lower section of the confirmation.

Typically when you book an RCL cruise they take the names of each passenger. The bill is broken up by passenger in a lower section of the confirmation.

Ok, we'll see what happens then. :)

EDIT: Thank you very much for the info.

Last edited:
I can give you a couple of specific examples:

1 - I had only paid the deposit for 2 people ($200). When we cancelled, I was issued 2 $100 FCC's, one in each persons name. I don't have to sail with the same person to use my FCC, but I will only be able to use the $100 FCC issued in my name, my cabin mate retains the FCC in their name until they decide to cruise again.

2 - I had paid almost all of the cruise fare for 2 people ($1350). When we cancelled, the FCC was split evenly between the two people on the reservation ($675 each). I have already used mine on a cruise I had booked with someone else. My portion of the fare was $500, I was re-issued a FCC for $175 to be used on another reservation in my name. The other person can use their FCC on any cruise they want.

In both instances, the cruise planner items that I purchased were fully refunded to my credit card, even though I had paid for other peoples items, but the FCC's are specific to that person no matter who paid the fare. In fact in one instance, I chose the refund because I had paid in full for the cruise on my credit card, but they would only issue the FCC for my half of the ticket even though I paid for both.

I can give you a couple of specific examples:

2 - I had paid almost all of the cruise fare for 2 people ($1350). When we cancelled, the FCC was split evenly between the two people on the reservation ($675 each). I have already used mine on a cruise I had booked with someone else. My portion of the fare was $500, I was re-issued a FCC for $175 to be used on another reservation in my name. The other person can use their FCC on any cruise they want.

Question for #2 - You say that you had paid almost all of the cruise. This was this before final payment? If so, I thought that you would get FCC for the required deposit (i.e. $200) and refunded the remaining amount paid (i.e. $1150). Once final payment comes, then the full amount paid would be as FCC.

We had that for our Mariner cruise. Paid $420 (for four of us) + additional funds prior to final payment. We each got $105 as FCC. Waiting for the refund for the additional funds.

Question for #2 - You say that you had paid almost all of the cruise. This was this before final payment? If so, I thought that you would get FCC for the required deposit (i.e. $200) and refunded the remaining amount paid (i.e. $1150). Once final payment comes, then the full amount paid would be as FCC.

We had that for our Mariner cruise. Paid $420 (for four of us) + additional funds prior to final payment. We each got $105 as FCC. Waiting for the refund for the additional funds.

Frozen - Yes, this was before final payment. I am not sure if maybe we could have done that, but since we knew what cruise we were planning to use the FCC's to, it was fine to take the FCC for the whole amount. Prior to the pandemic, when I would have to cancel a cruise, that is exactly how it would work, an FCC for the NRD deposit and a refund for the rest.

The easiest thing to do is to call and move your cruise to the new date you are interested in. They move your deposit over to the new sailing and refund any cruise planner purchases to whatever method of payment was used. If the people you are traveling with is going to be different, then each person would get a FCC for the portion of deposit they paid originally (will be on your cruise contract). The reason some people prefer lift & shift is that the cruise in 2021 is significantly more expensive than it was for 2020. For lift & shift you have to keep the number of nights the same, same itinerary type (Bahamas for example), and it has to be on the approved list for L&S from your original itinerary. There are a few cases out there where there wasn't a great L&S alternative in 2021 and people got some great deals!

Once you move your cruise, make sure to watch the prices! You are price protected, which means they will lower your cruise fare if the price drops up until 48 hours before your cruise. I've already saved $$ from one of my L&S cruises going down in price.

Update: I have received tons of refunds from RCCL with the exception of an amount of 315$ CAD, which represents the original deposit.

We are now expecting 1 certificate of 315$ or 3 separate certificates of 105$ to be used on another booking.

For the moment, we have secured a new booking (we clicked "refundable", this time!!!). If everything goes well, we should apply the certificates on that new reservation when we receive them. The remaining balance will be greater than the certificates so it's all good.

Hello again... Quick question: How long did it take to receive your certificates?

I cancelled on July 29, 2020... I received nothing yet.

Hello again... Quick question: How long did it take to receive your certificates?

I cancelled on July 29, 2020... I received nothing yet.

Mine took over two months in the beginning, I called three times, emailed half a dozen times and was told everything was "in process." I requested my FCC's on May 22 and received them on July 21. The next set were cancelled on June 23 and I received my FCC's on August 5. They say that they are getting faster, but it is still pretty frustrating. They are currently saying up to 6 weeks for FCC's.

Mine took over two months in the beginning, I called three times, emailed half a dozen times and was told everything was "in process." I requested my FCC's on May 22 and received them on July 21. The next set were cancelled on June 23 and I received my FCC's on August 5. They say that they are getting faster, but it is still pretty frustrating. They are currently saying up to 6 weeks for FCC's.

Good to know. Thanks.

Does the rule where the cruise credit goes to each person apply to minors. I ask because my niece is scheduled to go with us 11/8, which is payed in full. I assume this cruise will be canceled and I am wondering if this cruise credit will only apply to her as she is a minor.

Does the rule where the cruise credit goes to each person apply to minors. I ask because my niece is scheduled to go with us 11/8, which is payed in full. I assume this cruise will be canceled and I am wondering if this cruise credit will only apply to her as she is a minor.
They take the full amount (minus taxes and fees and gratuities) and divide it evenly among the passengers. It doesn't matter their age. My 10 year old has the same credit as us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts