Cruising after Covid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that many of the lower category rooms (inside/oceanview) are not available on upcoming cruises. The guess is that DCL may be using them to aide in their required distancing protocols for crew. Anyone already holding a reservation in either of those categories may wind up being upgraded to a verandah room. My guess, of course.
My wife and I were booked on the EBPC this November. While not cancelled by DCL yet, I don't expect this cruise to happen, so when the new cruises were just released, we asked our TA to book the 11/21 EBPC in an accessible verandah stateroom. There were none available, so next year we are in an 11A inside accessible stateroom. I don't know if accessible is special and would not be used for cruise on this cruise.

My wife recently finish chemo theopy for cancer and got a total hip replacement, so we may no longer need the accessible room, in which case we will ask our TA to check into a non-accessible room for us.

So what if a vaccine never comes? There was never a vaccine for the 1918 pandemic either. The world worked through it. Still waiting on that vaccine for AIDS, MS, Cancer, Zika, etc. Still waiting. This is an honest question and I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but do we just scrap the world's fleets? I've seen many people post on here that we will not cruise unless there is a vaccine. So just curious what happens when we set a condition on something that has a possibility of never being? That's like an 18 year old saying he/she is not getting married till they're 35. There's no way to know if he/she will even make it to 35. I really hope we are not dependent on a vaccine because even if we had one (which we don't) it may take years to know if it worked.

This is something I questioned very heavily early on. To be fair, 100 years later we actually DO have a vaccine for the Spanish Flu. It was developed around the 1940's and your standard seasonal flu shot generally protects against it (and yes, it still exists to this day. So does the Bubonic Plague). It's important to remember this is not 1918 and medicine has advanced SIGNIFICANTLY in the last 100 years. We have methods of genetic sequencing and manipulation we would never have even understood the basic concepts of back then.

HAVING SAID THAT, HIV isn't really that old, and we never developed a vaccine for it. MERS to. In fact MERS and SARS are both good studies since they are close cousins of COVID and neither have a vaccine (although they do have some effective therapies). You know what else is a close cousin that we never cured? The common cold. Yup - the cold is actually a form of COVID. So I keep wondering how it is that we think we can make a vaccine for COVID, when we have never been able to cure the cold? And if we can stop COVID, does that mean we could have stopped the cold at any time, but the drug companies are pouring billions into not making a cure (conspiracy theories abound!).

However, it looks like I was incorrect and there is a good possibility we will develop a vaccine - so says the medical community. I hope they are correct. Even if not, I do believe we have and will continue to develop more and more effective therapies. If we do not cure it, we will at least devolve it down to a moderate and irritating sickness.

I gave a warning trying to keep this thread on track, to keep it open, but it seems that didn't work.

We seem to have had a lot off topic posts lately. If everyone could work to keep things from going off the rails that would be great. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter