Cruising out of NY - how are the seas & temps?

Tink113

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of cruising out of NY. Right now i’m Considering going north to Canada or South to Port Canaveral & Castaway Cay.

These cruises are in the fall so wondering what everyone experience has been. Would you do it again?

For cruises heading south, warm enough to take advantage of the pools?

I know Canada cruises will be chilly.

Also, I heard the cruise to PC includes a ticket to Disney, how does that all work. Can you choose your park? How long do you have to be in the park? PC is about 45 or so away from Disney.

We did the south to Port Canaveral & Castaway Cay last November. It was cold enough for a light jacket when we left NY but was so nice and warm once we got to Florida and the Caribbean. We had lots of pool time on the ship. On our WDW day we had prebooked our free transfers to the park of our choice Epcot and parkhopped to the other parks. We got to the park before park opening and they had an all aboard time of 1am that night so plenty of park time. They had buses running back to the ship from the 4 parks starting at 3:00pm with one departing every hour with the last bus from the MK being at 10:45pm.

We cruised from NY to Port Canaveral and Bahamas November 2017. There was a cold front going through the south eastern coast, so we were in coats on the deck the first and last full day at sea. Even when we we in Canaveral, it was warm but not really pool weather. That being said, it was unseasonably cool. Normally, at that time of year, you'd be warm on the first full day, swimming on the second full day.

Did it in Oct 2017 to PC and had perfect weather, all the way around. Pools are heated too. Seas were a little rough one night out in the Atlantic.

Thanks. How was the water? Rocky seas?

Castaway Cay water was pretty cold to us.

I felt less seas sick on that cruise then my previous cruises. One day on our way back to NY we did have really rocky seas. The pools looked like wave pools splashing up in the air. Was really fun to sit and watch the pools after we had our Dramamine.

We cruised out of NY in July. It was windy but warm. It was a Canadian cruise. The weather was warm enough for the kids to swim but not me! This cruise was the only one I was motion sick the first 2 days. Our stateroom host said it was common out of NY due to the depth of the water and wind. I was fine by the 3rd day.

I've done both routes from Manhattan. Canada cruise was in early October and was only warm enough for me to go in the hot tub one sunny day in port. Did an early November to Castaway Cay/Florida last year. Second sea day was fine for the pools. On the way back it was much colder and after the Port Canaveral stop, I never saw anyone in the pools. Castaway Cay water was a little nippy at first, but you got used to it. My father thought the island was very warm and humid.
Seas on Canada route were much rockier than sailing down south, but not enough that it was bothersome to me. My daughter was the only one it bothered.

Last edited:
We are doing NYC to PC, CC in November. We're expecting it to be a bit cooler than going in and out of PC, and the seas to be a little rougher too at the northern end, as compared to PC. This is a first for us so we're learning... Our understanding regarding WDW is there will be a ticket number on the back of your KTTW card you receive at check in. While in NYC, enter this ticket number in your MDE app (or on the bus as you travel from the port to WDW). The ticket number will get you Park Hopper with unlimited FastPass entrances. I believe we have to schedule a time for the bus to WDW. Not sure about the bus to return to the port yet. My current understanding is there are plenty of busses available from where ever you are, to get you back to the ship. We briefly discussed getting ADRs but realized Food and Wine is still going on so between the kiosks and the Yorkshire Chip Shoppe, we'll be set for food. Why waste time with an ADR...

Still more to learn, but we have some time...

We did the NYC to Castaway and PC last year the week before Thanksgiving. The weather was cold in NYC but hot in Orlando. The water at Castaway was cooler than I like it, but I HATE cold water and I still got in and stayed in for a while because you really did get used to it after a minute or two. We don't ever really do the pools on board but all the kids were definitely in the pools all week. The water felt very smooth to me but I'm not usually effected by rough seas so I don't notice as much as others.

The WDW was so much fun. Like other posters have mentioned: you pre-select your first park of the day and there are buses waiting at PC to take you straight to that park. You'll receive a paper ticket in your room like you would for any other excursion that has your Park of choice and departure time for your bus on it. People are supposed to exit the ship in order based off that departure time but EVERYONE tried to line up super early so the line to get off was very very long. There was a hold up in the ship clearing customs so that made the wait even worse, but once we line started moving it went pretty quickly and we were on a bus and on our way to Animal Kingdom. We got there maybe at 9:15am (park opened at 9am).

Your Key to the World Card will be loaded with a 1-day Park Hopper ticket valid for that date only. It will also be loaded with 3 Anytime/Anywhere FastPasses. We could use them anywhere last year including Flights of Passage but I seriously doubt they'll be available for the Galaxy's Edge attraction this year. We used our 3 anytime FP+ on Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Midway Mania, and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

g-ppetto is right in that last year there was a Ticket # on the back of our Key to the World Card that we were able to link to our MyDisneyExperience account using the app before setting sail. Once it was linked we were able to make 3 additional FastPasses. We used them in the Magic Kingdom in the evening. So in total we had 6 FastPasses which really allowed us to do a lot. This worked for us with no issues but we knew others on the cruise who for whatever reason couldn't get the ticket to link to their MDE. I think they went to guest services but can't remember if it was resolved or not. You can use your KTTW card to tap to get into the parks or FastPass+ entrances or if the ticket is linked to your account you can use a Magic Band.

After the fireworks we walked to the buses outside the Magic Kingdom and there was a spot for DCL. There were DCL Cast Members there to scan your KTTW card and give you a bottle of water. A little over an hour later we were back at PC. Got back on the ship around midnight. We were completely exhausted but had so much fun.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. We loved the cruise so much we're doing the same exact itinerary this year over Halloween.

Apparently I am incorrect regarding the unlimited FP+s. I was told some had the three for the ticket, and three more for MDE, and some people indicated they never ran out.

We did the NYC to Castaway and PC last year the week before Thanksgiving. The weather was cold in NYC but hot in Orlando. The water at Castaway was cooler than I like it, but I HATE cold water and I still got in and stayed in for a while because you really did get used to it after a minute or two. We don't ever really do the pools on board but all the kids were definitely in the pools all week. The water felt very smooth to me but I'm not usually effected by rough seas so I don't notice as much as others.

The WDW was so much fun. Like other posters have mentioned: you pre-select your first park of the day and there are buses waiting at PC to take you straight to that park. You'll receive a paper ticket in your room like you would for any other excursion that has your Park of choice and departure time for your bus on it. People are supposed to exit the ship in order based off that departure time but EVERYONE tried to line up super early so the line to get off was very very long. There was a hold up in the ship clearing customs so that made the wait even worse, but once we line started moving it went pretty quickly and we were on a bus and on our way to Animal Kingdom. We got there maybe at 9:15am (park opened at 9am).

Your Key to the World Card will be loaded with a 1-day Park Hopper ticket valid for that date only. It will also be loaded with 3 Anytime/Anywhere FastPasses. We could use them anywhere last year including Flights of Passage but I seriously doubt they'll be available for the Galaxy's Edge attraction this year. We used our 3 anytime FP+ on Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Midway Mania, and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

g-ppetto is right in that last year there was a Ticket # on the back of our Key to the World Card that we were able to link to our MyDisneyExperience account using the app before setting sail. Once it was linked we were able to make 3 additional FastPasses. We used them in the Magic Kingdom in the evening. So in total we had 6 FastPasses which really allowed us to do a lot. This worked for us with no issues but we knew others on the cruise who for whatever reason couldn't get the ticket to link to their MDE. I think they went to guest services but can't remember if it was resolved or not. You can use your KTTW card to tap to get into the parks or FastPass+ entrances or if the ticket is linked to your account you can use a Magic Band.

After the fireworks we walked to the buses outside the Magic Kingdom and there was a spot for DCL. There were DCL Cast Members there to scan your KTTW card and give you a bottle of water. A little over an hour later we were back at PC. Got back on the ship around midnight. We were completely exhausted but had so much fun.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. We loved the cruise so much we're doing the same exact itinerary this year over Halloween.

We're on this same cruise itinerary. Such good info! We are going to start out at AK and then head over to MK that afternoon and stay for the MNSSHP that night. Just got our Halloween and pirate night costumes ordered last week. Can't wait!

Apparently I am incorrect regarding the unlimited FP+s. I was told some had the three for the ticket, and three more for MDE, and some people indicated they never ran out.

Yeah it's definitely just 3 pre-loaded anytime Fastpasses. I don't think there is any scenario that Disney would give anyone unlimited Fastpasses for a day. But yes, you can book 3 additional ones the "traditional" way by attaching it to your MDE for a total of 6.

Yeah it's definitely just 3 pre-loaded anytime Fastpasses. I don't think there is any scenario that Disney would give anyone unlimited Fastpasses for a day. But yes, you can book 3 additional ones the "traditional" way by attaching it to your MDE for a total of 6.
Last year on our sailing many reported that they had unlimited FPs and would just keep booking ride after ride no matter what park or what tier. . There may have been a glitch, but I kicked myself for not trying to book more.

We are doing NYC to PC, CC in November. We're expecting it to be a bit cooler than going in and out of PC, and the seas to be a little rougher too at the northern end, as compared to PC. This is a first for us so we're learning... Our understanding regarding WDW is there will be a ticket number on the back of your KTTW card you receive at check in. While in NYC, enter this ticket number in your MDE app (or on the bus as you travel from the port to WDW). The ticket number will get you Park Hopper with unlimited FastPass entrances. I believe we have to schedule a time for the bus to WDW. Not sure about the bus to return to the port yet. My current understanding is there are plenty of busses available from where ever you are, to get you back to the ship. We briefly discussed getting ADRs but realized Food and Wine is still going on so between the kiosks and the Yorkshire Chip Shoppe, we'll be set for food. Why waste time with an ADR...

Still more to learn, but we have some time...

We have done NYC to North and South a few times each. The seas can be calm or rough in either direction...just depends. As far as the WDW tix you used to get separate tix delivered to your stateroom for entry into WDW that had FP on them. Last year they changed it to using your ship KTTW card which has admission on it to WDW. It also included 3 anytime FP which you just showed up at the attraction you wanted at the time you wanted. I doubt it will include Galaxy's Edge though.

You will be given a list of bus times that will leave each park. You can book your bus to the park when you are able to do your online check in. It will list the bus times to each park and you just choose which park you want to take the bus to and at what time. I think the first bus left the ship around 7:00 am or so.

I love the NYC to CC and WDW...a great cruise and even in the Fall the temps are warm enough for the pool (usually after the first sea day).

MJ

Last edited:
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but I do have another FP+ question. Do we need to schedule the FP+s, or just walk up to the FP+ entrance?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but I do have another FP+ question. Do we need to schedule the FP+s, or just walk up to the FP+ entrance?

Just walk up to whatever attraction you want at any time (for the ones that are preloaded). After those are used up you can set up another three FPs from the app the traditional way.

MJ

My cousin was CL, and they kept using FP’s, never ran out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!