Cruising with elderly/less than stellar health experiences?

We are renting an Ecv from special needs at sea in New York for our Bermuda cruise. DH can walk short distances on the ship but needs it for the port and safety drill. It’s there if he needs it.
Have you rented from special needs at sea before? We were looking at renting a wheelchair for my wife for our B2b Quebec to NYC and NYC to Bermuda cruises. The first place we checked out was unable to supply a wheelchair from Quebec. I found a mention for special needs at sea. Their website didn't offer anything from Quebec either, but said to call for other cities. Before my wife called, she found some review online. Most seemed to be negative. Just wondering if anyone has used them and can provide any feedback. We may just end up buying one.

Have you rented from special needs at sea before? We were looking at renting a wheelchair for my wife for our B2b Quebec to NYC and NYC to Bermuda cruises. The first place we checked out was unable to supply a wheelchair from Quebec. I found a mention for special needs at sea. Their website didn't offer anything from Quebec either, but said to call for other cities. Before my wife called, she found some review online. Most seemed to be negative. Just wondering if anyone has used them and can provide any feedback. We may just end up buying one.
We have rented three times from SNAS, both times an ECV. We have had no problems. We have rented at NYC, San Diego and Vancouver. They do charge a surcharge if you are not returning
to the same port. Equipment was fine. Give them a call.

We have cruised with my in laws who have mobility issues, definitely get an ECV and an HA room. The HA room was perfect for them and easy to maneuver, and everyone on the ships are so helpful you will be well taken care of. Enjoy your time together!

We have rented three times from SNAS, both times an ECV. We have had no problems. We have rented at NYC, San Diego and Vancouver. They do charge a surcharge if you are not returning
to the same port. Equipment was fine. Give them a call.
Rented twice from them with no issues at all.

Never heard of Special Needs at Sea. I will look into it for more info. The local medical supply store is renting us a wheelchair for $20 a week. I can't go wrong with that! Dad was a bit under the weather this week. I have a feeling this is going to be a last minute decision whether they cruise or not. I have to contact the travel agent this week to get some additional insight.

My parents are in their 70s and 80s and cruising is really the only way they can vacation anymore. We used to not bother with trip insurance, but it’s a must now. Thankfully we’ve never needed it. My dad uses an ECV, so a HA stateroom has been required on our last few cruises in order for it to fit inside. My mom has slowed down significantly and prefers a ship no larger than the Dream class, though she gets around ok.

We took my grandfather on his first cruise on the Dream several years ago and he loved it. But! We didn’t realize at the time he was not using the restroom enough; by evening the second day he came down with what we thought was a cold. Turned out it was a bladder infection. He was worried about getting lost, even though we were always with him, so he didn’t use the restroom if he wasn’t in the cabin. It was amazing how quickly it happened and we never considered it.

I hope your dad recovers enough to go... it’s a great option for older family members as long as you’re prepared!

My wife has similar mobility problems - able to get around with a cane, but it's better to have a chair or scooter to go any distance. We used a Go-Go scooter on our first cruise, with a regular veranda room. It fit through the doorway and made it very easy to get around on the ship. Before our next cruise we got a Fold & Go electric wheelchair which is much more comfortable and more stable than the three wheel scooter was.It's a bit more awkward to get through the cabin door, but we managed ok. Having something powered made it easier to get around in port. If you can arrange it, I suggest getting a powered scooter or chair and let her get used to it before the trip.

Just a word of caution if you are considering getting an ECV instead of a wheelchair. If the individual isn't used to using one or might become embarrassed when they have difficulty maneuvering in one, it might be better to have the wheelchair. I've seen a lot of people who don't normally use them, struggle with them on cruises. Passageways and the elevators can be very narrow. If an older person isn't used to maneuvering in one, it can make for a tense situation (not everyone has the patience to watch someone learn to back out of the narrow elevators). While I know most adapt very quickly. I know my mother would not and she'd end up staying in her cabin more rather than venturing out in the ECV. So that's why we have stuck with the wheelchair for her.

Update - we sail in 10 days and Mom called this morning with the news that Dad is really not feeling great and they feel they have to cancel. I'm SO sad. They have another doctor's appointment Wednesday. We are going to see what he says, but I think I will be canceling their reservation after the appointment. They are worried that he is too weak to deal with waits for shows & meals, etc. What a disappointment. :sad1:

So sorry to hear this. Did you have insurance, at least? At this point, you might as well wait until after the appointment to cancel, as, I believe, there is no refund.

I hope your dad feels better soon.

SingingMom, I am sorry to hear that your parents may not be able to go. Maybe your Dad will feel better when reassured by his Doctor. I did just want to suggest that if they do go, please check your insurance to see if there are pre-existing condition clauses. Most insurance has them and it would mean your Dad needs to be stable (no doctor’s visits, change in meds, tests, etc) for a certain number of days prior to departure. In their age bracket it is often 6 months. They would still be covered, just not for the issue they are seeing the doctor for. But all insurance is different so just check.

In any event, you sound like a wonderful, caring daughter and I am sure they are just blessed to have you no matter what happens with the trip.

As a caregiver of an ailing Mom, I truly pray they will be able to go with you, and more importantly, that’s your Dad feels better. Sending you a hug

So sorry to hear this. Did you have insurance, at least? At this point, you might as well wait until after the appointment to cancel, as, I believe, there is no refund.

I hope your dad feels better soon.
I purchased insurance right away, due to their age and questionable health. DH & I will still go, because I'm afraid to really confuse things with refunds, changes, etc. I just feel so disappointed for them.

SingingMom, I am sorry to hear that your parents may not be able to go. Maybe your Dad will feel better when reassured by his Doctor. I did just want to suggest that if they do go, please check your insurance to see if there are pre-existing condition clauses. Most insurance has them and it would mean your Dad needs to be stable (no doctor’s visits, change in meds, tests, etc) for a certain number of days prior to departure. In their age bracket it is often 6 months. They would still be covered, just not for the issue they are seeing the doctor for. But all insurance is different so just check.

In any event, you sound like a wonderful, caring daughter and I am sure they are just blessed to have you no matter what happens with the trip.

As a caregiver of an ailing Mom, I truly pray they will be able to go with you, and more importantly, that’s your Dad feels better. Sending you a hug
Thank you for your kind words. I'm so very sad about them having to miss this opportunity. It's very hard to watch your parents decline. :sad1:

Bittersweet post - Mom & Dad decided not to join us on Friday. :sad: Dad had a tough visit with the doctor yesterday, and was very uncomfortable afterwards. When I spoke to him on the phone, he burst into tears, which broke my heart. They are so sad to disappoint US, we are so sad they have to miss this opportunity. But, he tried to get the luggage out yesterday and could barely move it, so he figured that was the final decision. DH & I are still going, since the cancellation of both reservations would be too confusing. I started the insurance process today - will have to see how long a refund will take.
Spent most of the morning revising car service, canceling wheelchair rental, etc. So sad. Our travel agent was even sad - she emailed me NOT to give them the birthday card she included in the paperwork, because she mentioned enjoying the cruise. :sad1:

It's going to be a very sobering trip for us. I do hope we can have a private dining table - I'm not going to be in the mood for small talk.

Bittersweet post - Mom & Dad decided not to join us on Friday. :sad: Dad had a tough visit with the doctor yesterday, and was very uncomfortable afterwards. When I spoke to him on the phone, he burst into tears, which broke my heart. They are so sad to disappoint US, we are so sad they have to miss this opportunity. But, he tried to get the luggage out yesterday and could barely move it, so he figured that was the final decision. DH & I are still going, since the cancellation of both reservations would be too confusing. I started the insurance process today - will have to see how long a refund will take.
Spent most of the morning revising car service, canceling wheelchair rental, etc. So sad. Our travel agent was even sad - she emailed me NOT to give them the birthday card she included in the paperwork, because she mentioned enjoying the cruise. :sad1:

It's going to be a very sobering trip for us. I do hope we can have a private dining table - I'm not going to be in the mood for small talk.
I know it’s hard, but try to enjoy your cruise. I’m sure your parents want you to have a good time, even if they can’t go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter