CT to Disney while avoiding Florence

OP, it seems like this is something you're hellbent on doing. People here have tried to give you good advice and caution.

This storm is some 400 miles WIDE. It's just not worth it to endanger your family. Good luck with your trip, if you decide to make it. I hope you stay safe.

Here is the weather for Savannah on Friday... Now I realize that the storm is unpredictable and can change but as of right now Friday is going to be fine in the areas we will be in. Of course we will be monitoring the storm extremely closely over the next 24 hours as well as during the drive.

View attachment 350522
That is the forecast temps but you are not seeing the projection of that hurricanes path. You need to look at the projections not what the temps will be. I would not want to put my family in danger.

OP, it seems like this is something you're hellbent on doing. People here have tried to give you good advice and caution.

This storm is some 400 miles WIDE. It's just not worth it to endanger your family. Good luck with your trip, if you decide to make it. I hope you stay safe.

Just like the people on the news insisting on staying in their homes. You have to wonder what on earth is going on in their minds that they think it is ok?

OP--Your idea is a horrendously bad one. Is a trip really worth putting your family at risk? Look at how large the hurricane is. It is a monster! Not to mention the fact that they do typically spawn tornadoes. Why would you want to put yourself anywhere near all of that when there is no need to?

Obviously, the safest course of action is to stay home. Since you are traveling anyway, you are wise to be cautious, and most difficult part is the uncertainty.

The ultimate path of the storm, and its impact on any specific area are unknown at this time. Predictions are frequently changing, and you may need to change your plan just as frequently. What seems like a good plan today, might not be a good plan tonight. You might even need to change your plan as you are driving.

Regarding specific recommendations, the safest course of action will be to travel as far west as possible. Despite the forecast for Savannah, I would plan to avoid the coast at all costs. If you're going to make an error in your travel plans, I think it should be that you went too far out of your way, rather than ending up too close to the impacted areas when you didn't need to be there. If you can, leave Thursday, as you will probably need the extra day to travel to FL via an extreme westward route, and still arrive on Saturday. You might even find that you'll need to turn around and abandon your trip after you have started. Don't be afraid to make the safe decision, even it means giving up your trip.

Last edited:
There's an interstate that goes through the Shenandoah Valley and across the Smokies... 8-something. It's a beautiful drive and much more pleasant than I-95. Figure out a route that'll take you through the mountains (or even further west) to Atlanta. Then take I-75 into Florida.

Stay as far away from the coast as possible! Florence is going to uproot huge trees, take out electrical power (which means no gas availability, restaurants, ATM, etc) and cause massive flooding. Evacuees from the coast will mean no hotel availability in case you change your mind. High probability that parts of the Interstate will be closed or routed weirdly to accommodate emergency vehicles, etc. I wouldn't be surprise if there are police or national guard that won't even let you into the area. Your car is going to be pelted with tree debris like a nightmare hail storm. Category 3 storms are nothing to play with and Florence has the possibility of coming ashore as a Cat 4 or 5, which means it'll demolish everything in it's path. It'll be able to move large ships miles inland.

If you decide to drive, make sure you have lots of cash. When you reach Maryland, start filling your tank whenever it's half empty. Don't expect to find gas stations open or have gas once you enter Virginia -- even if you're out in the mountains. In fact the mountains will probably be full of evacuees. Keep a stock of bottled water and non-perishable snacks -- peanut butter, nuts, tuna, etc. Gas station and restaurant owners are going to close down and let their employees take care of their families.

As someone else said, better to leave today or tomorrow rather than Friday or cancel your trip or fly... Good luck!

OP--This hurricane is 400 miles wide. Please stop and think about it. They can not say for sure exactly where it will land or where it will go. A slight shift can put you directly in harm's way.

If you truly think a trip is worth risking your family over, then I don't know what anyone can say to you. Except maybe think about the people who would try and rescue you if you put your family in danger. Others that will risk their lives for you, all because you were bound and determined to go on vacation. How would you feel if someone else died because of you and your decision?

Wow...I give up. :sad2:
I agree Jim once he gets himself out there in the mess he will wonder why he took this trip on. I just hope he does not need any emergency assistance since he voluntarily is putting his family in harms way. Just saw a minute ago they said Flo will crawl up the coast line till Sat. Tropical-storm-force winds may arrive as soon as Thursday. Why would you risk the life of your family knowing there won't be resources to come to your aid. But to each his own. Those of us who know better have given all the advise we can. We can sit back and know we are safe.

Not sure why the OP is so animate in doing this, to the OP: I strongly advise that you POSTPONE OR CANCEL your trip. Not only is it dangerous to do this, IMHO not to sound offensive but it would be very inconsiderate for you to further clog up the roads in this region that is currently under a state of emergency, not to mention taking up a hotel room that evacuees could need, all this just for a leisure trip to WDW that could be postponed to a future date, it just doesn't sound right to me.

Would I take I-95 straight from CT to FL? No.

Would I take 95-81-77-26-95 from CT to FL? No. Too close to potential danger.

Would I take 95-81-40-75-turnpike? Yes. Several hours out of the way, but not significantly too many hours. You avoid the Carolinas entirely.

Leave early enough and you'll make it to at least the Atlanta area. You're still about 7 hours away from WDW, but you'll avoid the storm.

BTW, I-81 does not go directly into Knoxville. You're about 30-40 miles away. Once you reach the end of I-81, go west to Knoxville and pick up I-40. Then, pick up I-75.

Some correctly mentioned that folks may seek out lodging. I'd make a reservation for a motel room north of Atlanta. (Probably Marietta). That goes against my conventional wisdom of getting through Atlanta before stopping for the night. Coming from CT, I'm assuming you won't reach Atlanta before rush hour. Last thing you want is to tackle Atlanta rush hour while groggy. Better to save Atlanta for a fresh Saturday morning.

Good luck. By driving smart, you can avoid the beast named Florence.

Hi all, decided to play it safe and left this morning at 2am. Currently on 81 in Virginia, was a little after 8am when we entered VA. So far no bad weather other than rain here and there. Right now, I figure we should be somewhere around Pooler, GA around 7:30pm with stops in between. Figure arrive at our hotel by 8:30/9:00 in southern GA. Based on NHC and local weather reports on the areas we will be traveling through I don't expect any nasty weather. In terms of traffic conditions it seems business as usual on the interstate. Lot's of out of state cars and tractor trailers (PA, NJ, TN, etc) love the licenses plate game. lol Lot's of electric utility vehicles as well. Will report back in a few hours, my driving shift is in a few hours so I plan on taking a nap. Thanks again to everyone for your valued input.

Just one bit of advice.

Don't let your fuel tank go below half full. You may not know where you can get gas.

Good luck. Let us know when you stop tonight. :)

Hi all, decided to play it safe and left this morning at 2am. Currently on 81 in Virginia, was a little after 8am when we entered VA. So far no bad weather other than rain here and there. Right now, I figure we should be somewhere around Pooler, GA around 7:30pm with stops in between. Figure arrive at our hotel by 8:30/9:00 in southern GA. Based on NHC and local weather reports on the areas we will be traveling through I don't expect any nasty weather. In terms of traffic conditions it seems business as usual on the interstate. Lot's of out of state cars and tractor trailers (PA, NJ, TN, etc) love the licenses plate game. lol Lot's of electric utility vehicles as well. Will report back in a few hours, my driving shift is in a few hours so I plan on taking a nap. Thanks again to everyone for your valued input.

Good luck on your trip, and we are all glad that things are going well so far (hopefully that includes even the haters who have been posting mean things about your decision, so sorry you had to read all of those insensitive comments!).

Leaving earlier was smart. Safe Travels

Good luck on your trip, and we are all glad that things are going well so far (hopefully that includes even the haters who have been posting mean things about your decision, so sorry you had to read all of those insensitive comments!).

No one is being a "hater" and posting insensitive comments. Come on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter