CT to Disney while avoiding Florence

Looks like you might get a little of the outer bands by the time you get to Charlotte. There shouldn't be a lot of weather in the feeder bands -- just squally rain and a little wind, but probably less than 40 MPH.

The system has begun to slow, which is good for you. It will be over the Gulf Stream in a few hours (warmer water), so there could be some strengthening. It wouldn't take much for Florence to regain Cat 3 strength, but hopefully you'll be out of range by then.

Good luck and be careful.

upload_2018-9-13_11-42-58.png

Reactions: bek
Checking in. Just stopped for lunch in what I believe is Austinville, VA. People seem to going about there business around here. Weather is cloudy but no wind or rain yet. Going to keep on trucking.

No one is being a "hater" and posting insensitive comments. Come on.

OK "hater" is not a precisely defined term, so I will give you that one. But...

"Wow...I give up. :sad2:."

"If you truly think a trip is worth risking your family over, then I don't know what anyone can say to you."

"I agree Jim once he gets himself out there in the mess he will wonder why he took this trip on. I just hope he does not need any emergency assistance since he voluntarily is putting his family in harms way."

"Why would you risk the life of your family knowing there won't be resources to come to your aid."

"IMHO not to sound offensive but it would be very inconsiderate for you to further clog up the roads in this region that is currently under a state of emergency, not to mention taking up a hotel room that evacuees could need, all this just for a leisure trip to WDW that could be postponed to a future date, it just doesn't sound right to me."

I have highlighted the specific insensitive comments above. None of these are helpful. Some assume they know already what will happen to the OP if they attempt the trip. Some assume that the OP is too arrogant to use good judgement. In a word, insensitive.

OK "hater" is not a precisely defined term, so I will give you that one. But...

I have highlighted the specific insensitive comments above. None of these are helpful. Some assume they know already what will happen to the OP if they attempt the trip. Some assume that the OP is too arrogant to use good judgement. In a word, insensitive.
You seem to be trying to hijack OP's thread to start an argument that nobody cares to participate in. OP is reporting his progress and the rest of us are trying to help however we can. The nature of discussion boards is that people sometimes disagree, but we all have the same goal in mind.

Not hijacking, just calling out bad behavior as I see it (and which you are also trying to do, I respect that). Also hoping some folks will look back of what they have posted, consider how it might actually be insensitive (even if the intent was pure), and take that into consideration when posting in the future.

Not hijacking, just calling out bad behavior as I see it (and which you are also trying to do, I respect that). Also hoping some folks will look back of what they have posted, consider how it might actually be insensitive (even if the intent was pure), and take that into consideration when posting in the future.

OP asked for advice about driving down the coast the day a major hurricane was due to hit it. I don't think any advice he received here was insensitive, but rather was meant to underscore the gravity and tremendous danger he was about to undertake.

Clearly you disagree, and that's OK.

Last edited:

OP asked for advice about driving down the coast the day a major hurricane was due to hit it. I don't think any advice he received here was insensitive, but rather was meant to underscore the gravity and tremendous danger he was about to undertake.

Clearly you disagree, and that's OK.

Actually, I don't disagree with this. None of the actual advice was insensitive. If the comments had been limited to advice, that would have been much better.

**Progress Report**

Just stopped about 15 miles north of downtown Columbia, SC for some java juice. So far, the weather, dare I say it, has been delightful. Anyway, lot of vehicles on the roads but traffic is moving along. Have not ran into any issue of finding fuel so far. Just filled up for the next leg of the drive to dinner, about a three-hour drive. The journey will take us onto route 321 as I-26 is closed until 6pm for evacuees, all lanes travelling west. We plan on eating somewhere outside of Savannah, GA. Definitely feel that I over reacted in regard to thinking of not making the drive while a hurricane was bearing down on the east coast but postponing or cancelling the trip would have been the wrong decision. More to follow…

I guess there has been some debate about whether comments have been insensitive or not, so I'll take a stab.

The OP has repeatedly come off as self absorbed and oblivious to the situation around them. Even in their last post, describing the weather as "delightful" while interstates around them are closed for people fleeing their homes, hoping that they still might be there when they return. This person only seems to care about their vacation not being interrupted and nothing else. That might not be the case, but that's certainly how they come across. IMO, that's actually more insensitive than any comments directed towards the OP.

There are many different styles of posting. Mine tends to be more blunt and to the point. And as it is not meant to be mean, I have no intent on changing it any time soon. I do consider how I post, but the fact that someone would deliberately put themselves and their family into harms way (thereby also risking anyone who may have to give them help) boggles my mind. And yes, I will express that. Especially when someone posts looking for feedback on that sort of decision.

**Progress Report**

Just stopped about 15 miles north of downtown Columbia, SC for some java juice. So far, the weather, dare I say it, has been delightful. Anyway, lot of vehicles on the roads but traffic is moving along. Have not ran into any issue of finding fuel so far. Just filled up for the next leg of the drive to dinner, about a three-hour drive. The journey will take us onto route 321 as I-26 is closed until 6pm for evacuees, all lanes travelling west. We plan on eating somewhere outside of Savannah, GA. Definitely feel that I over reacted in regard to thinking of not making the drive while a hurricane was bearing down on the east coast but postponing or cancelling the trip would have been the wrong decision. More to follow…

Glad you are having a safe trip so far. I hope you are continuing further south after eating outside of Savannah. Personally, I think you should have avoided the coast altogether. But since you are there already, I think the sooner you travel further south ( and away from the storm) the better off you will be. Good luck.

Reactions: bek
The OP has repeatedly come off as self absorbed and oblivious to the situation around them. Even in their last post, describing the weather as "delightful" while interstates around them are closed for people fleeing their homes, hoping that they still might be there when they return. This person only seems to care about their vacation not being interrupted and nothing else. That might not be the case, but that's certainly how they come across. IMO, that's actually more insensitive than any comments directed towards the OP. QUOTE

At this point, I have to agree with you.

Since the OP left early their trip to WDW has so far been uneventful.
I do think the return trip might prove more of a challenge since flooding, road closures, power outages, closed businesses including gas stations are all very real possibilities they will have to deal with.

**Progress Report**

If you're not too beat up, Savannah is a great town for a little exploring. Some great restaurants and a lot of history.

If you're going to have any unpleasant weather it should be between Columbia and Savannah. Once you get to Savannah, I think you're most likely clear. The "earliest reasonable" wind map says it's possible TS winds could catch up to you overnight, but the "most likely" map doesn't look anything like that. I think you'll be fine.

Be safe and have a good trip.

**Last Update of the Day**

Just finished dinner in GA. Restaurant was busy and people seemed to be going about there everyday lives. Weather is eerily calm, but has that feeling of something coming. Interestingly, on the way out, in the parking lot, we ran into an older couple that had just drove from DE. They actually told us that they took I-95 the whole way down. Not sure if they noticed my look of shock or not. However, they said the interstate was actually fine and that the weather was not terrible at the time of there drive.

Anyway, have about an hours drive to reach our hotel before we call it a day.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and coming along for the ride.

Will post the weather in the morning. Planning on hitting the road around 9am.

Last edited:
Been following this and glad to hear you made it safely around the storm. Not to offend but I would hardly call your drive today putting your family in harms way. You clearly knew what route to take and monitored the storm accordingly. I’m sure many families have driven in much worse conditions just from a summer or winter storm.

Wishing you safe travels tomorrow!

[QUOTE="rg35, post: 59735991, member: 437679"The OP has repeatedly come off as self absorbed and oblivious to the situation around them. Even in their last post, describing the weather as "delightful" while interstates around them are closed for people fleeing their homes, hoping that they still might be there when they return. This person only seems to care about their vacation not being interrupted and nothing else. That might not be the case, but that's certainly how they come across. IMO, that's actually more insensitive than any comments directed towards the OP.[/QUOTE]

This, not to mention the OP solicited feedback but yet chose to totally ignore any feedback advising not to take the trip. I honestly do not understand the OP's mindset and intention with creating this thread. Perhaps the OP is actually the one being insensitive to those responding to the thread that he created?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!