Culinary Demonstrations at F&W

gogo

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure I am posting this in the correct area but my question is the culinary demonstrations at the Festival Center at the F&W event. I have never been to the F&W and I only have one full day and a few hours the next day to try and experience as much as I can.

So far, I have a reservation for the Eat to the Beat Concert on opening day (Thursday). Then I noticed the 45 minute culinary demonstrations happening at the Festival Center. There is an opening on the first day and I am interested. Can anyone elaborate on what this entails. I think there is an additional charge of $17 dollars. In your opinion, is this a good price for the experience. Thanks for any information!

I have seen several culinary demonstrations and even a wine presentation. Some were great and others were meh. I suppose it's pretty hit-and-miss. It's only $17, so if you're interested and have the time...why not?

I would say, it depends! (Helpful, huh?!) I have attended several, and have enjoyed most of them. My husband, on the other hand, finds them painful. He says it is worse than school because there is not enough if the food or wine....

With the short amount of time you have for the F&W Festival, my opinion is that your time investment would be better spent sampling the food booths around WS.

While F&W is a fun overlay to the park, don't be deceived into thinking that this is a "true" food or wine event. The booths are a nice diversion with selections that are outstanding for an amusement park. But neither the cooking demonstrations nor the wine seminars come close to measuring up to real food and wine events such as Aspen, Pebble Beach, South Beach among others. Keep expectations low when looking at attending any of these.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I will think about it a little longer. The demo was for pastries, one of my favorite things!!! I do have RC booked for the Eat to the Beat Concert and this is something I have not done before. I'm trying to explore new restaurants this trip.

Because they are time consuming and VERY hit or miss, given your circumstances, I'd pass. Love the PP's mention that this is a F&W event in a theme park. I'm impressed with it for what it is though. The Swolphin does a F&W event I can never quite schedule, but looks much more upmarket.

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I will think about it a little longer. The demo was for pastries, one of my favorite things!!! I do have RC booked for the Eat to the Beat Concert and this is something I have not done before. I'm trying to explore new restaurants this trip.

Most of the spots at the deminars are not available for pre-booking so you can sign up on the day of. I suggest you visit the Festival Center which is in the Wonders of Life pavilion and take a look-see at them while they are taking place. That will give you a very good idea of they are all about, and you can sign up or not.

We went to a demonstration last year and enjoyed it. Between the class, the food sample and the wine it was well worth the $15 we paid. It also was a nice respite from the heat.

Garcia's Seafood Grille & Fish Market Lobster Creole from Culinary Demonstration at Epcot Food & Wine Festival Center. Was served with Festival Chardonnay. There were canned soft drinks offered to those not drinking wine. lobster.jpg

T
We went to a demonstration last year and enjoyed it. Between the class, the food sample and the wine it was well worth the $15 we paid. It also was a nice respite from the heat.

Garcia's Seafood Grille & Fish Market Lobster Creole from Culinary Demonstration at Epcot Food & Wine Festival Center. Was served with Festival Chardonnay. There were canned soft drinks offered to those not drinking wine. View attachment 254899

The sample looks nice. I definitely want to check the festival center out. It will be really hot as I will be there August 31 and September lst. I think this year's demonstration is $17 which isn't too costly.

T

The sample looks nice. I definitely want to check the festival center out. It will be really hot as I will be there August 31 and September lst. I think this year's demonstration is $17 which isn't too costly.

If you have an Annual Pass or DVC, you get $2 off.

The lady emcee (at least in 2015) was pretty annoying and tended to talk over the chef. I know she had to keep things on track timewise, but it took away from the presentation. We got a nice sample with a wine pairing and enjoyed the experience. It adds to the F&W festival experience, but it's not necessary by any means.

Most of the spots at the deminars are not available for pre-booking so you can sign up on the day of. I suggest you visit the Festival Center which is in the Wonders of Life pavilion and take a look-see at them while they are taking place. That will give you a very good idea of they are all about, and you can sign up or not.
All of the spots can be pre-booked. Celebrity chefs do sell out in advance
The lady emcee (at least in 2015) was pretty annoying and tended to talk over the chef. I know she had to keep things on track timewise, but it took away from the presentation. We got a nice sample with a wine pairing and enjoyed the experience. It adds to the F&W festival experience, but it's not necessary by any means.

She's the reason I quit doing these. She thinks we came to hear HER and every chef is her best friend. Some chefs shut her down, but others let her take over and talk non stop

I have to admit that I've never done any of these seminars. The booths, rides and entertainment have kept me plenty busy.

But I'm wondering reading this--are the samples that you get at the demos more or less equivalent to a flight at a kiosk? Do you typically get 3 different types of a beverage at a beverage demo?

For some reason, I get a kick out of Pam, the lady emcee. She tries so hard to be serious, but she's just so busy tipping back that wine. When there were 3 culinary demos per day, she'd be pretty tipsy by the third. I've been to about 12 culinary demos over the years and enjoyed every one. But I agree that if you have only a full day + a little, you probably shouldn't take the time-the culinary demos are at the former Wonders of Life building, and it takes a lot of time out of your day.

I really love the food and wine demos. I like sitting at a big table with lots of folks - chatting, watching the food being made, listening to the banter. I am a foodie and love the Food Network. And as others have mentioned - it is indoor, in the air conditioning, at a table - which in my opinion is a bit nicer than trying to balance a dish, standing up in the heat. Portion size is what you normally get at a food kiosk at the Food and Wine Festival but is usually a dish and a wine.

Surprisingly, I just read that the culinary demos will not be serving wine this year, after all. It was in an update here. Bummer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter