Curious what people are doing with summer reservations?

wdwlver

Dis Veteran DVC member
We go to wdw every summer since that is what works with school etc and are currently booked at our home resort BCV starting July 31. I don’t know why I haven’t canceled yet as we won’t go with the mask requirement in the height of the summer heat. I need to rearrange airfare and lots of other moving parts but haven’t had the heart to do it yet. Guess the one bright spot is the refund on our AP’s. Anyone else in same boat?

We go every August and plan on keeping our plans for this August too. I asked my kids if they are okay wearing masks and they said they want to go to Disney so much they don’t mind wearing masks at all.
I have 4 days at BLT, 4 day cruise on the Dream and 3 days at BCV. I plan on making a reservation for the 4 nights we would be on the cruise in case it gets cancelled. We need to go to our happy place.

Aug 16-22 cancelled. We don’t even know if the US-Canada border will be open to non-essential travel at that point. We asked for a refund on our APs which we upgraded from 7 day hoppers & literally never used after the upgrade trip (Mar, now Aug trips cancelled). We’re out our airfare from Detroit, but that’s under 1000$ USD 🤷🏼‍♀️

I’m going to go ahead and cancel. I can change flights and just go to beach instead. Hopefully it’ll be nice and relaxing and we’ll head back to wdw August 2021

We have an August trip booked that I haven’t canceled yet. We’re not going since I’m pregnant and our 1 and 4 year olds wouldn’t do well with masks or not touching their faces, plus we’d have to fly across the country to get there. I just haven’t had the heart to do it yet, but I’ll have to do it next week since our banking deadline is at the end of this month. I believe our Southwest credits will be good until 2022 so we’ll have some time to use those later.

Rescheduled June to a July 3rd to 7th and the March trip is in August and we are still planning to go and enjoy in whatever way we can.

We have an August trip booked that I haven’t canceled yet. We’re not going since I’m pregnant and our 1 and 4 year olds wouldn’t do well with masks or not touching their faces, plus we’d have to fly across the country to get there. I just haven’t had the heart to do it yet, but I’ll have to do it next week since our banking deadline is at the end of this month. I believe our Southwest credits will be good until 2022 so we’ll have some time to use those later.
You are correct about Southwest crediting till 2022. I had some credits from April that was going to expire in August and it's already been extended.

We were supposed to leave on Sunday for a week at AKL but we moved it to July 5-11 but have decided to cancel that and rebook when an opening date and procedures have been announced.

Over on the rumors board there’s a thread with info from a reliable poster on wdwmagic that posits that Disney was not planning on opening till 8/31, now mag have to because Uni is. How would that work with DVC if Florida timeshares can operate?

Over on the rumors board there’s a thread with info from a reliable poster on wdwmagic that posits that Disney was not planning on opening till 8/31, now mag have to because Uni is. How would that work with DVC if Florida timeshares can operate?

They really would need to get DVC resorts up and running as soon as local and state emergency orders have expired and they no longer have a reason to keep them closed.

I think if things are not open for DVC By July 1st when things are opening up around them, I would say it could cause them problems.

Parks can do what they want, but I do think they are trying to do it all at the same time.. I think that we will see WDW open, even with restrictions, not too far off Universal.

They really would need to get DVC resorts up and running as soon as local and state emergency orders have expired and they no longer have a reason to keep them closed.

I think if things are not open for DVC By July 1st when things are opening up around them, I would say it could cause them problems.

Parks can do what they want, but I do think they are trying to do it all at the same time.. I think that we will see WDW open, even with restrictions, not too far off Universal.
While that may be true, DVC is going to be wrong no matter what they decide.

If they open and the parks do not (or limit when DVC resort occupants can enter), there will be a loud and immediate outcry from those who won't want to go under those circumstances. Those owners (and renters) will shout that they are being punished if they lose points or money when they cancel. Like it or not, right or wrong, they will want the same concessions that owners with reservations during the closure received. DVC can't win.

For everyone's sake, I pray that an effective, widely available vaccine or treatment will be found soon.

I’ve already cancelled three trips (April 1-5 at OKW, moved to BWV April 22nd) and June 3-7 at Riviera for my birthday. I now have June 18-21 at CC and September 4-13 at Polynesian/BCV. I’ll probably be cancelling June, but holding out hope for September. The September trip only cost us like 125 points- so I guess I’ll be banking a couple hundred into 2021. Maybe add an Aulani trip to the 2021 plans.

We usually just get the DVC gold AP and renew every year. This year we upgraded to platinum because of the April trip that we desperately needed as a couple. So I’m not happy that I paid extra to upgrade to travel During a gold Blockout timeframe for nothing.

I would love to say that I’m so mad I’m just going to dump my contracts. But, I love DVC and Disney too much. But to say I’m less than pleased with the DVC situation is a major understatement. And I do believe they are putting themselves in a legal predicament if this goes on much longer.

I’ve already cancelled three trips (April 1-5 at OKW, moved to BWV April 22nd) and June 3-7 at Riviera for my birthday. I now have June 18-21 at CC and September 4-13 at Polynesian/BCV. I’ll probably be cancelling June, but holding out hope for September. The September trip only cost us like 125 points- so I guess I’ll be banking a couple hundred into 2021. Maybe add an Aulani trip to the 2021 plans.

We usually just get the DVC gold AP and renew every year. This year we upgraded to platinum because of the April trip that we desperately needed as a couple. So I’m not happy that I paid extra to upgrade to travel During a gold Blockout timeframe for nothing.

I would love to say that I’m so mad I’m just going to dump my contracts. But, I love DVC and Disney too much. But to say I’m less than pleased with the DVC situation is a major understatement. And I do believe they are putting themselves in a legal predicament if this goes on much longer.
You might want to call and explain about the upgrade that you actually couldn’t use. I know of someone who had the same situation and the upgrade from gold was refunded.

First off...that rumor guy is not a reliable source from what I have been told. He gets it wrong often. So I am not putting too much weight into the Aug 31 opening rumor.

Second...Marriott Vacation Club timeshares have been open. FL and SC are open so all timeshares should be. Like now. I dont get why DVC isn't opening. I was thinking June 1 but that now seems very unlikely. They do need to give us some sort of idea though. Give folks some information and they will be less likely to question and investigate things. I am seeing the stirrings of discontent now pushing folks into questioning the legality of it all. They really should have given a tentative opening date.

First off...that rumor guy is not a reliable source from what I have been told. He gets it wrong often. So I am not putting too much weight into the Aug 31 opening rumor.

Second...Marriott Vacation Club timeshares have been open. FL and SC are open so all timeshares should be. Like now. I dont get why DVC isn't opening. I was thinking June 1 but that now seems very unlikely. They do need to give us some sort of idea though. Give folks some information and they will be less likely to question and investigate things. I am seeing the stirrings of discontent now pushing folks into questioning the legality of it all. They really should have given a tentative opening date.
This. How can Marriott etc timeshares open and DVC not even let us know what the plan is. It is really very frustrating.

7/5-7/9. Cancelled once I saw what fastpass availability looked like. Banked them all. 2021-2023 are going to be a crowded mess for DVC because many owners like me did the same, or had their reservations forcibly cancelled. Luckily we bought where we like to stay.

We cancelled our May 10-16 stay at The Grand Floridian and just cancelled our June 29 - July 3 trip at Riviera. At this point they won’t refund our one time use points because it’s not a COVID affected cancellation.....um, I beg to differ! I will hold out though and see if they do cancel that week to request a refund then, otherwise I will move those points to our September trip which I have no clue if it will happen or not. We have a December use year so we have to decide by July 31st what to do with our trip so we can bank the points.

You are correct about Southwest crediting till 2022. I had some credits from April that was going to expire in August and it's already been extended.

That appears to be true for travel credits with Southwest that were set to expire currently and to cancelling flight scheduled through the end of May. But in regard to cancelling future scheduled flights -- as in after May 31st or into the summer, Southwest does not appear to be offering the extended credit.

We just cancelled flights for late June and early July and the travel credits generated from these cancellations are set to expire 1 year from when they were PURCHASED - meaning they are expiring in early Dec 2020 and early Feb 2021 because that was when we originally purchased. :( This does not make me happy.

Per Southwest Airlines email on March 20th:
Customers' funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts