Current wifi speed?

bgula

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the current wifi speed is at the Fort? I'm not sure whether they've increased it or not and don't know whether to bring my android box with me to try streaming, or whether it's still too slow. If someone knows, can they post the mbps speed?

I can tell you after spending 8 days recently at the fort, we had Internet maybe 20% of the time we were there. It was horrible.

No idea on speed but last Feb when we were there it was unreliable. It did get dramatically better after they dug up a section of cable across from 2100 loop behind the bus stop. As I understand it from conversations with techs that have come out and checked the cable on previous trips, the limiting factor in the system is the old underground cable that the wi-fi relies on. Keep in mind though that none of this was confirmed with a bus driver. 8-)

We were there in Oct. and used our Verizon booster and it was o.k. My hubby was able to work. We didn't do any streaming but he has an IT company and needs pretty decent speeds to connect to clients.

Not good enough to stream youtube for my daughter in oct, nov.

Well yeah. You can't stream youtube because there are too many people trying to stream youtube (and hulu and netflix etc.)

giphy.gif

I've yet to be in a campground yet where the campground-provided WIFI was ever worth a darn. So I hotspot for DIS and email.

In fact, I'm so old I remember the night I was at the Fort on the last night of Cable Internet connectivity (had the coax box in the camper) and the next morning they powered up the WIFI for guest use for the first time. Oh baby it was fast then (cuz nobody was on it).

Those were the days. :surfweb:

Bama Ed

PS - But I want to make it clear that I'm not as old as bigdisneydaddy <he old ::yes:: >. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time when they cut over....

PPS - man it was only March 2016. It seems so long ago. I had brought a little travel router wired into the back of the Fort modem on that trip so I could have WIFI around my campsite. I only used it the one night because the next morning <BOOM> camper WIFI went live!

20160319_135548_zpsrx0gm42n.jpg

Still got that little bad boy. Cabin loops got WIFI before Camping loops did but geez, was it only March 2016? :confused3

Last edited:

Just got home yesterday, launch of CST-100 Starliner was fine as was other streaming. Did have to back-door in a number of times and it is not as fast as RCCL-VOOM.

Just got home yesterday, launch of CST-100 Starliner was fine

:offtopic: and failed to achieve its proper orbit. Next up now is SpaceX for its next step towards Crew certification. In January I think.

And John, the speed probably varies based on time of day due to demand. When people are around the campsite (mornings, evenings mostly) is probably the toughest times.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I'm at the Fort now and didn't bother taking my box with me. Just did a speedtest at 7pm and got ~11 mbps in the 1600 loop, so probably could stream if that number is maintained. I'll have to remember for next time.

I'm at the Fort now and didn't bother taking my box with me. Just did a speedtest at 7pm and got ~11 mbps in the 1600 loop, so probably could stream if that number is maintained. I'll have to remember for next time.

I'd take that where we live, my speedtest was just 3.99mbps. :crazy2::(

...the speed probably varies based on time of day due to demand. When people are around the campsite (mornings, evenings mostly) is probably the toughest times.
What Ed said.

The speed varies quite a bit by time of day (number of users on). I found early mornings (before people are up) and mid day (when a lot of people are at the parks) were pretty good. DS could stream a few YouTube vids. I didn't have any trouble checking things. Evening and night to about 10pm are terrible. If I wanted to post something here or up load pictures in the evening after a park day, I would just hot spot off my phone. (or post directly from my phone) It really seems to be a bandwidth thing. Too many people, not enough pipe.

j

Now I'm getting concerned :) We staying the the 200 loop in March and had no issues with the wifi speed... but we also couldn't get our camera to work due to the splash screen required to log in.

Now we purchased a router that stores wifi SSIDs and logins and a new camera to work with it. Our plan is to leave our small dog with the camera running to see if he's barking or if someone enters the room.

We will be in a cabin this time and from what I understand, that is the 2200 and 2300 loops.

It just sounds aweful. i am already prepared to hotspot the two weeks i am there in jan to work. Kind of hard to believe we are not planning one park day in Jan. It just doesn't work out for us. We are planning to go the Florida RV Super Show. Saving our park time for the Oct trip.

It was fine for streaming, etc when we were there for Spring Break in March & over 4th of July. However, Thanksgiving was quite a bit slower--several times we couldn't get on at all.

All 3 trips we stayed on the Canal side of the 500 loop.

Maybe its different in all loops, when we were there last March, loop 700, the kids were streaming and I was working from laptop without issue
After reading these posts I wonder if performance is loop specific. We've stayed in the 800 loop several times in December (2018) and May 2019 and both times the WiFi was the best and fastest of anyplace I have ever stayed at before. I didn't get a speed but I work on line and had no problems and we were able to stream Netflix, YouTube and Prime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!