Curtains on the Wonder

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
How good of a job does the curtains on the Wonder do at blocking out light? My kids are convinced the room is going to be too light to sleep on an Alaskan cruise, even with the curtains drawn, but I honestly have not read about anything otherwise. Are sleep masks even really necessary? They don't wear them normally, so I'm thinking the masks would end up being more drama than help. It's still pretty dark in the cabin with the curtains drawn, right?

How good of a job does the curtains on the Wonder do at blocking out light? My kids are convinced the room is going to be too light to sleep on an Alaskan cruise, even with the curtains drawn, but I honestly have not read about anything otherwise. Are sleep masks even really necessary? They don't wear them normally, so I'm thinking the masks would end up being more drama than help. It's still pretty dark in the cabin with the curtains drawn, right?

They are blackout curtains so really the cabin gets very dark. I always bring a hair clip/chip clip or clothes pin with me to secure the drapes closed...I over lap them and clip them and no light gets in.

Do they plan on sleeping a lot during the day or are they thinking of the sun setting later in Alaska? Either way the room will be dark. Even darker on the queen bed side if the interior cabin drapes are closed as well.

MJ

Do they plan on sleeping a lot during the day or are they thinking of the sun setting later in Alaska? Either way the room will be dark. Even darker on the queen bed side if the interior cabin drapes are closed as well.

MJ

I don't foresee them napping during the day, but in their quest for knowledge, they learned that sunrise will happen around 4am, at which point they were all sorts of nope! DH and I were both teasing that we'll be fine with the interior cabin drapes, but their beds will be up near the window so they were concerned with the early sunrise.

Tell them not to worry. We did put a few wooden clothespins on to close the gap, but it wasn't much light. My kids had no problem sleeping until noon in the Bahamas! Breakfast? what's that?? It was actually pretty shocking, b/c my youngest never ever sleeps in at home. He also has complained about sunlight bothering him in his bedroom, so I've had to put black-out shades on his windows at home. Not a peep out of him on the Wonder though.

The kids should be fine. Bring a couple of clips to hold the curtains together. The curtains are 'light blocking' ones, so it is just the gap you need to keep closed. For our Alaskan cruise, it was foggy and/or drizzly every morning, so there was no daylight waking us up early.

They are blackout curtains so really the cabin gets very dark. I always bring a hair clip/chip clip or clothes pin with me to secure the drapes closed...I over lap them and clip them and no light gets in.

MJ

You don't have to bring clips for the curtains, simply use one of the clip hangers in the closet to clip it shut. It is one less thing to pack as they are already in the cabin.

I always have clips in my bag....I hang things in the bathroom with them as well (on the clothesline)....but that is a good idea.

MJ

Agree with the others - the blackout curtains over the verandah doors on our recent cruise made it very dark in my daughter's sleeping area. If she were a light sleeper, some clips to secure the gap would have been all we needed. Adding the extra layer of blackout curtains between her couch and our bed made our sleeping area even darker.

I've never bothered bringing clips. We just push the little stool under the desk up against the curtains and never had an issue with excess light coming in. This even worked on the Norway / Iceland cruise where it didn't get dark until 1 or 2 AM.

In the Oceanview room on the Wonder the curtains had snaps on them to keep them fully closed. Not sure if the verandah rooms have this same thing.

I always bring a hair clip/chip clip or clothes pin with me to secure the drapes closed...I over lap them and clip them and no light gets in.
Very good tip!!! Agree that the curtains are very much light blocking. Its that gap that can get you. Clips are part of our regular travel staples as you run into the same thing in hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts