Custom Framing from Michaels

maslex

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if you've ever had anything framed at Michaels. I always see coupons for 60% off but I also see how stupid expensive things are before coupon is applied. I mean at Christmas time I see those floral arrangements or wreaths and sometimes they're normally $129 but then go "on sale". So I'm wondering if it's the same with the frames.

I was cleaning out the basement the other day to put stuff in a yard sale and I came across to big puzzles that we did years ago that I was going to throw in the yard sale but then decided to keep and get a frame made for it. Do I just measure the puzzle and bring in the measurements or do I actually bring the puzzle in and have them do it? Does the frame come with the glass piece or do I need to get that somewhere else?

Whatever you can tell me about getting these two puzzles framed, I'd appreciate. Thanks!

I used it once. Even with choosing a less expensive frame and glass, I still spent a bundle. The coupons generally only apply to the expensive stuff. I won't use them again.

Yes, it was expensive! If they were honest about the 60% off, our framing would have cost nearly $1000 without the sale. We liked the look, so we did it, and went to Hobby Lobby for the rest of our frames.

You would bring the actual item. It is expensive even with the coupon.
I would really only do it for actual artwork or piece of history that is worth something (we did it for limited lithographs) or something like a diploma.

IMO, not worth it for a puzzle or a portrait...I would just buy a frame and do that myself.

Never did custom made, to expensive. I did use their coupon for reg coupon and bought a reg frame for much less. But next time I may try Hobby Lobby.

When my nieces graduated from college my sister had their picture, grad announcement and the school seal framed for herself, mom and her fil. She tried Micheal’s first and it was waaayy to expensive. She tried a local small framing shop and was pleasantly surprised. They did a beautiful job at a much, much cheaper price without a coupon.

She took the items in and picked the frame. For her’s glass was included. That place included the glass if the piece requires it.

I would check local shops and compare prices.

For a puzzle you will need to glue it with puzzle glue so it's stable and can be moved and not fall apart when it's hung.

Right now Michaels framing is 70% all frame collections. It's still expensive but if you don't need/want a mat it does help bring down the price. If your piece is large- 24x30 it will be around $200 even with the discount.

If you puzzle is a standard size you can frame it yourself with one of the stock frames. Measure it to before you go in. The large frames are on sale this week too. You will still need to use the puzzle glue. Elmers makes one as well as Modge Podge.

For a puzzle you will need to glue it with puzzle glue so it's stable and can be moved and not fall apart when it's hung.
Or, slide it onto cardboard, cover with another piece of cardboard, flip it, and cover the back with Contact paper.

Framing prices at Michael’s are extremely inflated. Even with the coupon you are overpaying for what you are getting. I recommend finding a local framing shop for a better price and quality. I would never use Michael’s as a matter of principal. I don’t like companies that inflate prices to make you think you are getting a deal.

I did!!! My dh had my Harry Potter "wanted" posters from Diagon Alley framed for me last Christmas. The posters were 135.00 to buy and the framing was 400.00!!! I wish he told me he was framing them because i had that 60% coupon - but they do look amazing. They are in my office at home and I have gotten many compliments.

Look at local framing places. We've had a few pieces custom framed using a local framing shop and they are gorgeous. I like supporting a local place instead of a huge company and don't mind paying a bit more. If I can figure it out, I'll post one of them later.

If you puzzle is a standard size you can frame it yourself with one of the stock frames. Measure it to before you go in. The large frames are on sale this week too. You will still need to use the puzzle glue. Elmers makes one as well as Modge Podge.

Or go to TJ Maxx or Home Goods and look at the pre-framed art they have on sale. I've seen some big framed mediocre art there for $60 - $150. You might find the right size glass frame with art you don't want, but can take out that art and slip in your own puzzle. If you need to put your puzzle on a big piece of mat board, or want one slightly larger for a 3" border around the puzzle before the edge of the frame, go to an artist supply store, (not a craft supply store like Michaels.) They have mat board in assorted sizes and colors for only a few dollars. Then use a boxcutter blade and a strong yardstick to cut your mat board down to size.

I've gotten two items framed through Michael's. If you're patient and have their app, you can get a 70% off coupon, which is what I did.

Both items were limited edition lithographs, and I wanted them done well. One wound up being about $600 (three mats and a metal one with a border in the middle of one of the mats), the other $250 (three mats). But one is at my office at work; I see it every day. And the expensive one hangs over our living room sofa.

Both pictures and frames still make me smile every time I look at them, so I think they were worth it. I'm not sure I would spend the money for just a puzzle.

2 suggestions - 1. try a local framing place - MIchaels and Hobby Lobby's prices are obscene, even with the coupon 2. as other's have suggested, measure the puzzle then try to find a frame you like and do it yourself - try looking at thrift stores, they always have tons of frames.

How big are the puzzles?

All the frames I own are ones I got for 40-75% off at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Normal frames seem to cost $20-$60 to begin with at those places so I only buy when they are on sale. I'd look at stock frames before looking towards custom for what you're wanting the frame for. Most of the things I have frames are posters I bought from those places actually.

Personally nothing I own--outside of college diploma comes close to needing to be protected by a custom frame that will still cost a pretty penny with coupons. Mother-in-law did a custom frame from Michaels for my husband's college diploma and I think that cost several hundred. I got my college diploma frame from my University and it cost $250 but it came with a coin-type thing with our school's mascot.

I'll have to measure the puzzles to be sure but I just looked online to see what size they might be (judging on others by this artist) and they might be 29.75 x 19.75". I have already glued them when I made them.

I've had one thing framed at Michael's, but it wasn't a custom frame. I had them frame my drawing of Gurgi that Disney animator Philo Barnhart drew. I paid Philo $40 for the drawing. Then I had a Michael's employee help me pick out a frame from their current stock. The animation paper is a really odd size so it needed a mat. They cut the mat and put the drawing in the frame. I paid Michael's about $50 and was very pleased with their work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/6_Qso-EACy/?tagged=gurgi

https://www.instagram.com/p/7BL3OUkAJU/?tagged=gurgi

However, I would never go to them to frame a puzzle. For a puzzle, I'd be looking at the frames at Goodwill.

here's what I've done on several occasions (my kids go to anime conventions and get odd sized signed stuff)-I get the weekly 40% off coupon for hobby lobby. then I go (ideally on a weekday-shorter wait) and go back to the framing area. one of the staff is always VERY helpful in assisting me in finding an OFF THE SHELF frame that I tweak the fit with on matting. I use the stock matting hobby lobby has on hand-BUT THEY DO THE FRAMING AND MATTING FREE WHILE I WAIT. it's a normal service. I end up paying 40% off for a frame, a few dollars for matting-and I also pop another couple of dollars for them to put hanging wire on the back. if there's a better deal on sale priced frame they still offer the free services.

the 'custom framing' at those places is crazy expensive (though still less expensive than at places like at the mall) but the free framing and matting services they offer with the purchase of the supplies is of a very nice quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter