Customs Question

Feistygirl916

Mary Poppins is practically perfect in every way
Hi there!

We are heading to Shanghai, HK, and Tokyo from LAX in November and I had some silly questions. I haven't done international air travel before, so wanted to see when I would be going through customs/immigration.

We depart LAX and our flight to Shanghai has a layover in Tokyo. When do we go through customs?

The next flight from Shanghai to HK.... Since it's all technically China, do we do customs again?

Thanks for the help!

I am in China now (for work) and went through Shanghai customs last Friday.

You will go through customs in Shanghai. Wait in the line for foreigners (follow the direction of agents or follow other white/black people). Show your entry card (that you will get and fill out on the plane), passport and visa to the agent. Keep the departure part that the agent gives back to you. Get you luggage. Unless you have anything to declare (you probably will not) then you walk out of the baggage area and are done.

Information agents speak English outside of the baggage area and most signs are in English and Mandarin. Probably one out of three people in Shanghai speak passable English.

Not sure about Hong Kong. It is considered a special economic zone. It could involve customs. I have a 60-day work visa and will have to leave the country before 60 days. One option is to go to Hong Kong.

You don't need to go through customs when you have a layover - you'll just remain in the international part of the terminal.

For most intents and purposes, you can pretty much consider HK a different country to China. It has different visa requirements, so you will need to go through entrance procedures again.

Both China and HK were pretty easy the last times I was there. Just follow the signs for foreign arrivals to get through immigration. If you don't have anything to declare, you can just walk straight through the nothing to declare aisle.

Our trip is LAX-PVG-HK-Tokyo-LAX

So we would be doing customs at PVG, HK, Tokyo, and then LAX on the return flight? Just want to make sure I understand.

Thanks for your help!

Our trip is LAX-PVG-HK-Tokyo-LAX

So we would be doing customs at PVG, HK, Tokyo, and then LAX on the return flight? Just want to make sure I understand.

Thanks for your help!

Yes.

It's really nothing you need to be concerned about. They'll give you an entry card to fill in on the plane (it's handy to have a pen on you for this reason). When you get off the plane, just follow the crowds and/or signs. You don't need to prepare in advance or anything. If you're taking any fresh food for the flight, just make sure you throw it out when they do the last rubbish sweep.

Living in Japan right now for work and have dealt with international customs many times. If possible leave anything you might have to declare(food, large amounts of cash) at home. And just bring your patience. Lines will be long and tedious since there will most likely be a LOT of business travelers. In most Asian airports(with the exception of Phuket) there's plenty of English signs.

Thanks everyone! This puts my anxiety way lower! I just want to be mentally prepared for this, and know I will be jet lagged and exhausted when we arrive which will NOT help :)

Honestly, the most confusing place I've ever been for customs & immigration was Honolulu. For whatever reason the staff there just could not get it right. They had signs mixed up, people in the wrong lines, just a nightmare.

Use the restroom before the plane lands. Once on the ground if you walk fast you can reduce the time spent in lines. Especially if you are on a big plane. Doing this means it could be a while before the next potty break. Also, be sure to fill out the form they give you on the plane and have it ready.

I like the tip above just follow all the other white/black people. That's exactly what I do when I'm beat tired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!