Cutting entertainment

Scrapdolly

Mouseketeer
Is it just me or are other people saddened to find more fun ... and free .. entertainment being cut.
I have read this week that the Move It Shake it Parade ... my very favourite as there is no wait and plenty of time to take pictures and interact .. is to go, Captain jack Pirate training is ending and some key characters from the street performers in DHS are being cut. Coupled with no more night parade at MK, the loss of the Jamming Jungle parade at AK, the loss of the parade at DHS (all a long time ago) I feel there is less magic on the streets. It might just be that it is things I like being cut and maybe others are not disappointed. But I feel some of the magic of Disney is going and more and more of the new things seems focussed on adults and food and restaurants ... I just feel the face of Disney is changing and yes I know things have to change and move forward. Just a little sad

I do think these kinds of things make Disney SO much more than any other theme park. For my family, they are a big part of why we keep wanting to return. We've done the rides (over and over), and we like the rides, but the atmosphere and special entertainment makes us keep coming back.

I never thought 'Move It, Shake It' was all that great, but my kids always *loved* it (so that made me a fan). At least the rumors are that 'Move It, Shake It' will be replaced by a new parade in 2019 (one rumor said a Mickey-centric parade to celebrate his 90th). I've given up hope on a nighttime (e.g., MSEP or similar) returning.

Sad to see Pirate Tutorial cut as DD has a booking for Pirates League and had hoped she could have taken part afterwards but ending before we arrive.

Agree; it's sad, it's a blow to the what makes Disney special and it is making it more generic ... with the loss of personal entertainment.

BUT ..... the more crowded these parks keep getting the more difficult it is to do some of these things because the the sea of humanity. Last week I could hear the Hollywood Entertainment but never actually saw them for the crowd around them ... and the bigger crowd trying to move around the watching crowd. Pirates Tutorial had folks standing far out and it was difficult to get around them because the line for Pirates was also bunched up outside the attraction and as usual guests were parking their strollers in the wrong place .. in the way. Move It Shake It, I can see replacing it but my fear is with the down time ... they might decide nothing comes back just like MSEP.

Both DHS & AK parades were no longer functional given the lay of the parks and the crowds. Sadly both had great parades that were fun to watch. I'm afraid we will just have the FoF now ... which I haven't watched since the dragon left. With the night crowds filling in for HEA, I don't see a night parade coming back. I had hopes for the 50th but losing that hope watching them cut entertainment back so much and the difficulty in crowd control in the hub.

Agree with " ... more and more of the new things seems focused on food and restaurants." and anything else that will generate income. When you bring in a President whose background is in retail and not parks or entertainment - he's going to change it all into a mall of easily reproduced goods/services. Like the rumor that Epcot in UK is now getting a Mary Poppins Dumbo ride. What? How cheesy and un-creative is that. But it's cheap, it's easy and he can feel like he added something .... "see what I did" .... :rolleyes:

All of this entertainment has guests sitting or standing and not spending. Now I don't agree that offering things " ... adults ..." is a problem at all. Other than my summer trip, most my trips I notice that the majority of the guests are adults, adults have the money and adults are usually there to enjoy and spend. Gearing more towards to adults is a wise business move and likely to make many guests happy. But adults are also not going to be happy with another Dumbo ride and when my kids were young ... if I already had Dumbo and Aladdin's carpets then adding one to Epcot will not entice me there, takes more than that.

Last edited:

My kids loved love the Move it Shake it, what a shame to see it go. I have so many great pictures of them having a blast dancing. Things keep disappearing meanwhile prices keep skyrocketing.

I always have a negative emotional reaction to the changes, but ...usually...something equally good or better comes along. Gotta admit, I won't miss having to maneuver the crowds that collected around Pirate Tutorial, but I did love the show!

after returning from the parks yesterday. I was very saddened to see all the cutbacks they have made. Entertainment and quality is what made the parks great. Many of the rides have broken features. Shows and parades are disappearing, It makes me angry and sad. But on the bright side our last trip saved me so much money by canceling next years and the cruise following it so everything has a silver lining. I would head out to Disneyland. we went in May of this year and having seen all the parks within 5 months made it even clearer about the cutbacks in Orlando. I used to be the biggest Disney parks fan and now I couldnt recommend them, well maybe to an enemy he he.

after returning from the parks yesterday. I was very saddened to see all the cutbacks they have made. Entertainment and quality is what made the parks great. Many of the rides have broken features. Shows and parades are disappearing, It makes me angry and sad. But on the bright side our last trip saved me so much money by canceling next years and the cruise following it so everything has a silver lining. I would head out to Disneyland. we went in May of this year and having seen all the parks within 5 months made it even clearer about the cutbacks in Orlando. I used to be the biggest Disney parks fan and now I couldnt recommend them, well maybe to an enemy he he.

I hope you are sharing your views with Disney customer service.

I don't miss the afternoon parades that much. It took a lot of staff a long time to set up and tear down and made navigating the area diffficult. With the larger crowds, it would become unmanageable.
I do miss the evening parades We always stayed for those and are still hoping to see something return. But the longer they are gone, the less likely, I believe, they are to rturn.
Haven't watched the pirate training, but if its anything like the Jedi training, it will be a loss.
Am disappointed at cutting the street actors at HS. They were always fun to watch.

Sad to hear this. My daughter did the Pirate Tutorial once after PL. She loved it. It was super cute. She would have loved to do it again. To me, Move it Shake It was just ok, but my kids really liked it. It was something you could do without a line, which was nice.

The shamans at Rivers of Light are gone too, right? I had a positive opinion of that show and was planning on going with some family members who never saw it, but we may just end that day earlier.

I always have a negative emotional reaction to the changes, but ...usually...something equally good or better comes along. Gotta admit, I won't miss having to maneuver the crowds that collected around Pirate Tutorial, but I did love the show!
Me either.

It was heck getting through those crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!