D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
Black is a Princess.

I have to preface this with saying that this is all my thoughts in progress, these are topics I think about on a daily basis and my opinions and feelings do change and I’m only speaking for myself.

My problems with Beyoncé really reside with the subjects of aesthetics. Very long story short, I wrestle with her being a role model for young black girls (taking into account that no one specifically asks to be a role model) and the constant message (that I perceive) that the European beauty aesthetic is the most desirable. Such as sporting long, straight blonde lace fronts- I say this fully knowing that I myself blow dry my own hair straight and I am adhering to those same standards when I do so. I almost wish she would address her reasons and let her fans know that she has been subjected to the same beauty conditioning as the rest of us. I also hated how she made the saying “good hair” even more prevalent-at least with the white people I know. Some were unfamiliar with that term being used in relation to hair and I feel she made it even more ubiquitous at a time when we are trying so hard in the Black community to obliterate those terms (good vs bad hair). Actually, not sure if Chris Rock’s documentary had come out before her Lemonade album so I very well could be mistaken.

I know I focused on one aspect-hair- but that is a pretty personal thing for me and a lot of Black women in my life................

To bring this back to Disney, I read in Jessica Simpson’s book (do NOT judge!) that she first met Destiny’s Child at a Grad Night in Disney performance so, fun fact I guess?

Would love to hear others' thoughts as well-especially those who make more sense than I do!
Interesting to hear your thoughts on this specifically I in watching Black Is King I noticed a lot of attention paid to the hair of many of the women in the film - lots of different styles but also clips of the hair being braided, etc and it just struck me how important hair is and ceremonial at times, etc. So was definitely something highlighted in the film ... So then for you to have this sort of opposite take on how Beyonce herself treats her hair or what she had done with it, etc. - the two dynamics seem a bit at odds with each other
Happy Sunday D.O.C.’s family :wave:
I have to share my absolute joy, reading here in a Disney Fan message board, the rich deep exchange about Black Women, Black hair and the multi-level connections to Disney.
Loving this! This is what representation looks like, diverse and inclusive.
@TummyGirl remember we do not judge in this thread, LOL, we may ask you to tell us more on your thoughts about the “Jessica Simpson’s book” :hippie:
And maybe I will share my review & love for the Cast albums of “Nashville” from ABC (a Disney Company) Television hit show Of the same name “Nashville.”
I like your mention of Jessica because if I recall Jessica has a multi-million dollar business including a line of “Jessica Simpson Wigs.“ Did Jessica also do something with Disney? Was she another “Mickey Mouse Club new generation “ alumni?
The idea of European ideal of beauty was always evident in Disney Princesses. With the introduction of Princess Tiana, for the first time for many families Black, Brown and White were shown a new and different ideal of a beautiful Disney Princess. I was relieved to see Princess Tiana was not presented as a light skin toned animated character in the movie or in the Park as an in Park Character. Finally Black, Brown girls and boys see “Black is a Princess“, presented as a Beautiful Brown young woman. Now we will have to do something about a real Brown/Black Prince.

Magic Kingdom Princess cavalcade July 19, 2020

Wishing you all Peace, Love and Light :wizard:
AKL Ranger
Keeping Jambo House safe from Poachers
🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

Attachments

• 5AE77989-13E7-4BA5-8EAC-FD54B966DE4A.jpeg
    5AE77989-13E7-4BA5-8EAC-FD54B966DE4A.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The updated Princess Mulan as a real Warrior Princess.

I am looking forward to the live action “Mulan” movie, as this will update the Milan story and I presume we will eventually see prominently featured an updated Princess Mulan in park character. It seemed for a while the only place I could find Mulan was holding court in Epcot’s China pavilion. Epcot’s Princess Mulan was styled as a “Princess”, I think it will be exciting to see the updated in Park Princess Mulan styled as a “Warrior Princess.”

What is opinion of D.O.C.’s member's of the Asian community regarding the prospects of an updated, “Warrior Princess Mulan“?

Disney’s Live action “Mulan“ -teaser

I love the new art posters featuring the main characters in the new live action movie.
Anybody else get the feeling this version of the “Mulan“ story is here to kick some butt?

Based on these beautiful posters, everyone has shown up ready for serious business or “Good Trouble.”
Based on these teaser movie posters I think I am going to have a new Disney Princess crush, Cindy (yes, I am on a first name basis with Princess Cinderella) and Princess Tiana will be making room for Mulan, “Warrior Princess.”

AKL Ranger
Keeping Jambo House safe from Poachers 🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

Attachments

• B785FCCD-1CA0-4783-BB90-F0C7A8B8C33E.jpeg
    B785FCCD-1CA0-4783-BB90-F0C7A8B8C33E.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I saw one of the new Mulan dolls at the Disney store in Times Square back in February (which seems like a lifetime ago). I was so excited she had her soldier umiform on and not a dress. I never understood why her costume for the meet and greet was the matchmaker outfit.

Last edited:
Black is a Princess.

Happy Sunday D.O.C.’s family :wave:
I have to share my absolute joy, reading here in a Disney Fan message board, the rich deep exchange about Black Women, Black hair and the multi-level connections to Disney.
Loving this! This is what representation looks like, diverse and inclusive.
@TummyGirl remember we do not judge in this thread, LOL, we may ask you to tell us more on your thoughts about the “Jessica Simpson’s book” :hippie:
And maybe I will share my review & love for the Cast albums of “Nashville” from ABC (a Disney Company) Television hit show Of the same name “Nashville.”
I like your mention of Jessica because if I recall Jessica has a multi-million dollar business including a line of “Jessica Simpson Wigs.“ Did Jessica also do something with Disney? Was she another “Mickey Mouse Club new generation “ alumni?
Haha!!

The only Jessica/Disney connection I'm aware of is her not making it through the auditions for The All-New Micky Mouse Club-she auditioned alongside Britney, Justin and Christina.

I saw one of the new Mulan dolls at the Disney store in Times Square back in February (which seems like a lifetime ago). I was so excited she had her soldier umiform on and not a dress. I never understood why her costume for the meet and greet was the matchmaker outfit.
Agreed @tarak Once and for all may we finally have our Warrior Princess? :thumbsup2 Time to put that “Match Maker“ costume back in the closet.

More on Mulan: Warrior Princess

Disney’s up coming release of live action “Mulan”

Read Variety Magazine’s reporting on this

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mulan-box-office-pvod-profits-potential-1234727271/

In my opinion, these serious challenging times due to the health Pandemic and the related economic challenges. I do question the price point set by Disney’s (interim?) CEO Bob Chapek of $29.99 for renting Live action “Mulan” on DisneyPlus, that is on top of the$6.99 monthly fee.
As much as I am looking forward to seeing Live Action “Mulan: Warrior Princess” ( I am going to keep tagging “Mulan” as “Mulan: Warrior Princess” because she is fierce, brave and loyal! ) The price point of $29.99 I could eventually purchase a Digital copy of the movie for $19.99.
I am only seeing Bob Chapek looking to recoup production costs as quickly as possible.
Your thoughts?

.............”stop the presses “ late breaking news from the Twitter,
a Birdie just provided this update the Mulan Direct to Disney Plus premium pricing.
@jjsingh (Tomorrows Child) on Twitter replied:
“My understanding is that it will be digital ownership, as well, so you are paying $6.99 for all other content on Disney+ and the opportunity to see AND own (digitally) “Mulan” in its “first run.” Most families are used to spending $30-80 for admission to a movie ...”

AKL Ranger
Keeping Jambo House safe from Poachers 🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

Attachments

• 1AB64E33-F54D-4AD3-AD3A-D69D4CB4796B.jpeg
    1AB64E33-F54D-4AD3-AD3A-D69D4CB4796B.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Update on Tron 3 the movie
The movie, not the roller coaster

Aug 10, 2020

Disney’s plans for a third “Tron” movie just got big software update.

Garth Davis, who made his feature directing debut with 2016’s biographical drama “Lion,” has signed on to direct a new “Tron” movie for the studio, Variety has confirmed. The new film, however, will not be a direct sequel to 2010’s “Tron: Legacy” and 1982’s “Tron,” but chart its own path as a new installment in the franchise.

Jared Leto, who signed onto the project in 2017, is attached to star, as well as produce with Justin Springer and Emma Ludbrook. Jesse Wigutow wrote the latest version of the script, which remains in development at Disney; the project does not have a greenlight.

The original “Tron” was a box office disappointment when it opened in the summer of 1982, but its groundbreaking use of computer graphic imagery — to capture the story of a programmer (Jeff Bridges) who gets zapped inside a CPU mainframe — helped earn the film a cult following. In the 2000s, hungry for a new, lucrative franchise, Disney circled back to the property and began developing a sequel with Joseph Kosinski, then an unknown commercial director whose background in architecture design made him a strong fit for the purely virtual aesthetic baked into the “Tron” franchise.

With Kosinski, Disney took a cautious approach, having him first shoot a test reel with Bridges that was screened unannounced at the 2008 San Diego Comic-Con; the wild reception to the footage helped land the movie a greenlight. The final film — starring Bridges in a dual role, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, and Michael Sheen — opened to mixed reviews and decent box office (with a $400 million global ticket sales). The movie has itself earned a cult following, in no small part due to the score by the iconic techno-pop duo Daft Punk, and Disney began developing a sequel with Hedlund and Wilde. But the studio ultimately pulled the plug in 2015.

Two years later, Leto signed on to star in a new “Tron” movie, but until Monday, there hadn’t been much forward momentum for the franchise. Davis has more directing experience under his belt than Kosinski did when he landed “Tron: Legacy”; after “Lion,” which won him the DGA award for best first-time director, Davis made the 2018 biblical epic “Mary Magdalene” with Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix. The new “Tron” installment would be his first major studio tentpole, and his first project driven by visual effects.
Deadline originally reported the news.

Additional Tron news.

Tron 3 the movie has a working title

Earlier today, Tron 3 was officially in the works, with Lion director Garth Davis, It Runs in the Family writer Jesse Wigutow, and Suicide Squad star Jared Leto all in tow. Leto, as stars of big Disney franchise blockbusters often do, took to Twitter to express his gratitude and excitement over the role. And in doing so… he just might’ve accidentally leaked the official title of Tron 3. Dear readers, get used to saying the following: Tron: Ares.

Image via Walt Disney Pictures

If you head to Leto’s Twitter now, you’ll find a lovely but generic message about his excitement, saying simply, “I am so very excited and proud to confirm that YES – I will be starring in TRON. We will work as hard as we possibly can to create something that I hope you all will love. We have some very special ideas in store for you all…” But that ain’t what he originally posted. In a Tweet that’s since been deleted, Leto didn’t write “TRON.” He said, straight up, “TRON: ARES.” And I have to imagine Disney gave him a quick phone call to say, “Maybe don’t say that just yet.”

Even though this could’ve been just an accidental slip of a working title by Leto, there is precedent to its validity. In 2017, Leto was eying the lead character of Tron 3. A lead character by the name of… Ares. A character who was not seen in either Tron nor Tron: Legacy, and could instead represent Disney’s hopeful future for the Tron franchise. Since the title appears to be centered on his name, it looks like we’re gonna be seeing a lot of Ares in the future.

Tron: Ares, the third installment of the Tron big-screen franchise, stars Leto as the title role.
At age 47, yes you read that correct, will will see Jared soon starring as the comic book hero Vampire movie “Morbus.” Jared Leto at age 47 looking this youthful, if this is what “playing“ vampire can do to slow the aging process, you got my interest Mr. Leto.
Jared is famous for going very deep into character research.

Morbius the Living Vampire, a.k.a. Dr. Michael Morbius, Ph.D., M.D., is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. ... Jared Leto will portray Morbius in a live-action film adaptation set to be part of Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters.

Until more new from the game grid come to light.
Wishing you all Peace, Love and Light and Power Lightcycles pixiedust: for everyone.

AKL Ranger
🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

Attachments

• B0D782B2-F7F4-4B9B-A92A-693030093292.jpeg
    B0D782B2-F7F4-4B9B-A92A-693030093292.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Hey all,

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing. I know a lot of crazy weather hitting various parts of the U.S. (we were without power for a few days last week and I know some people still without)

So nothing more than that, just wanted to check in
All good in South Florida so far. Keeping an eye on the tropics as always during this time of the year.

How's everyone else holding up?

Culture Trust

Saw a story that I thought might be of interest:

The British Film Institute had some of the creative team behind Pixar’s Soul join them for a virtual presentation on August 14th as part of the BFI at Home event. Fittingly, Soul was featured as part of the event’s S.O.U.L. Festival (an acronym for Screening Our Unseen Lives)

What was new to this S.O.U.L. Fest presentation was additional information about research trips taken to public schools in Queens and the formation of a culture trust of Black consultants, including Pixar employees.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/art...ack-culture-trust-and-reveal-a-new-character/

Finally watched Tron and Tron: Legacy this weekend and they were both so good!! Thanks everyone here who hyped them up! I am even more excited for the Lightcycle coaster coming to MK now.

:banana::banana:
Update on Tron 3 the movie
The movie, not the roller coaster.
Aug 10, 2020
Disney’s plans for a third “Tron” movie just got big software update.

Tron: Now Programming
Hi there @JacknSally ,
I am so glad you enjoyed the posts on Disney's "Tron" movies. Through the "Tron" movies, many experienced a different side of Disney movies. From an appreciation for the groundbreaking computer graphics to the unexpected jab at big technology companies that charge exorbitant fees to upgrade software.
I strongly recommend watching both Tron movies prior to the opening of the "Tron: Powercycle Light Run" coaster, this provides deeper insights to the theming and back story of the Tron Powercycle Light Run coaster.

*** Spoiler Alert - This post contains a few subplot spoilers, but not any that would ruin the enjoyment of the movie overall.

In "Tron: Legacy," the villain Clu, a despot digital doppelganger of Sam's father, who will stop at nothing to prevent Sam or his father from escaping from the system.
Isomorphic Algorithms" - or ISOs - were the miracle Kevin spoke of before his disappearance, and he felt they represented the revolutionary potential to "change the human condition". Clu, however, saw the ISOs as an imperfection within the system and felt betrayed when Flynn chose to embrace the ISOs. Clu betrayed his friends in order to take control of the system and purge it of all ISOs. Tron fought for Flynn and was never seen again. Flynn remained trapped in the Grid when the portal back home closed on him. In the movie, we see Clu (the villain) destroy the ISO's and their homes.

As students of history, we have seen how this story has played out in the real world. From the deforestation of the Amazon Rain Forrest to the "Trail of tears", the march of eastern band Native American Indians marched (on foot) from prime lands to "reservations" in less desirable dustbowls located hundreds of miles away.

Many fans of "Tron: Legacy" were surprised by the begging of the movie, Sam breaks into the ENCOM Tower and steals ENCOM's newest operating system OS 12, releasing it online as part of his annual prank on the company.
This speaks to an issue of large Techincal corporations that touch our lives in many ways, controlling the technology many of us depend on.

How
Until more news arrives from the game grid,
Wishing you all Peace, Love, and Light and Power Lightcycles pixiedust: for everyone.

AKL Ranger
🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

Finally watched Tron and Tron: Legacy this weekend and they were both so good!! Thanks everyone here who hyped them up! I am even more excited for the Lightcycle coaster coming to MK now.

:banana::banana:

If you haven't watch the episode of Prop Culture on Tron I would suggest watching it. It was neat to see how they made some of the props and did some of the effects.

We wound up watching the movie right after watching the episode and was fun to point out the things we had just seen

Tron: Now Programming
Hi there @JacknSally ,
I am so glad you enjoyed the posts on Disney's "Tron" movies. Through the "Tron" movies, many experienced a different side of Disney movies. From an appreciation for the groundbreaking computer graphics to the unexpected jab at big technology companies that charge exorbitant fees to upgrade software.
I strongly recommend watching both Tron movies prior to the opening of the "Tron: Powercycle Light Run" coaster, this provides deeper insights to the theming and back story of the Tron Powercycle Light Run coaster.

View attachment 519743

*** Spoiler Alert - This post contains a few subplot spoilers, but not any that would ruin the enjoyment of the movie overall.

In "Tron: Legacy," the villain Clu, a despot digital doppelganger of Sam's father, who will stop at nothing to prevent Sam or his father from escaping from the system.
Isomorphic Algorithms" - or ISOs - were the miracle Kevin spoke of before his disappearance, and he felt they represented the revolutionary potential to "change the human condition". Clu, however, saw the ISOs as an imperfection within the system and felt betrayed when Flynn chose to embrace the ISOs. Clu betrayed his friends in order to take control of the system and purge it of all ISOs. Tron fought for Flynn and was never seen again. Flynn remained trapped in the Grid when the portal back home closed on him. In the movie, we see Clu (the villain) destroy the ISO's and their homes.

As students of history, we have seen how this story has played out in the real world. From the deforestation of the Amazon Rain Forrest to the "Trail of tears", the march of eastern band Native American Indians marched (on foot) from prime lands to "reservations" in less desirable dustbowls located hundreds of miles away.

Many fans of "Tron: Legacy" were surprised by the begging of the movie, Sam breaks into the ENCOM Tower and steals ENCOM's newest operating system OS 12, releasing it online as part of his annual prank on the company.
This speaks to an issue of large Techincal corporations that touch our lives in many ways, controlling the technology many of us depend on.

How
Until more news arrives from the game grid,
Wishing you all Peace, Love, and Light and Power Lightcycles pixiedust: for everyone.

AKL Ranger
🦁 🇰🇪 🦓

Legacy was the focus of Ryno’s Movie of the Week on Patreon. I’ll take this a step further that the film has eerie references to fascist regimes where people are ruled by fear and intimidation. CLU represents a leader trying to create a “perfect system” where only those seen as superior were deemed valuable ...and thus used to ensure the oppression remains in place. One can either be “rectified”(read brainwashed) or sent to the games for slaughter since they don’t have a place in the “system.” CLU commits genocide by removing all the ISO’s. In hopes of creating perfection, or making things great, Kevin soon realizes(with the help of Sam) the imperfection he ended up with and the dangers he posed to his loved ones in the process. Some interesting lines:

Sam: “this place must have been something before CLU screwed it up”
Kevin: “No. CLU is me, I screwed it up. Chasing perfection when it was right in front of me.”

CLU: “Prove yourselves to me. Be loyal to me and I will never betray you.”

Good stuff....

Thought I would share a few things I have seen recently related to, of all things, football.

For those that hadn't seen, the professional football team that plays in Washington DC has changed the name of the team - it was the Redskins. They are still trying to determine what the new name will be (partly due to an individual who bought up all the domain names for all of the names that were even remotely being considered) so for now, they will simply be known as the Washington Football Team.

More recently they also became the first NFL franchise to hire a Black team president: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29678773/washington-hires-jason-wright-nfl-first-black-president

lastly, wanted to share this article which was written by a producer for a very popular Fantasy Football podcast (yup, not even real football now, but fake football).

It talks about the importance of language and evolving in the language you use and how it can either build a bridge or a moat

It discusses terminology super common in the Fantasy Football community that they will avoid using going forward. Such as being the "owner" of a team or "owning players" on your team - instead will say the are the "manager" of the team with players they "roster"

It also talks about diversity in the fantasy football community with links to tons of accounts for female reporters in the space as well as those of people of color.

@AKL Ranger - I thought you might like this quote, as it leverages the idea of having a meal to increase understanding:

"There is a deep need for mainstreaming historically marginalized voices because our fantasy football language is evolving. For some, the threat of change is an “assumed assault” on what they hold most precious. To flip the narrative, perhaps there is a greater understanding, appreciation, and four-course meal of enjoyment of that comes from sitting at the table of someone not from your hometown, your fantasy league, and your “neck of the woods”. "

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/fantasy-football-the-evolution-of-language-in-2020/

Obviously a lot of awfulness in the world - but nice to see some positive movement and the desire for growth even in areas one might not expect it

In additional football news, the Kansas City Chiefs have officially banned headdresses and face paint at their home games: https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...aring-native-american-headdresses-and-face-pa

Some fans have dressed and acted in a way that appropriates Native American culture and I'm proud to see leadership finally putting their foot down. As a local Kansas Citian I know there are a lot of fans who will be disgruntled that their traditions will have to stop, but I'm hopeful they will [eventually] channel their rage into finding creative ways to support the team that are less insensitive.

On another thread, a user was harping about how the court system in Massachusetts will no longer reference the term “grandfathered.” Apparently, it was an oppressive practice used against slaves in some way ...I had no idea and I’m sure same for many others. And the point is, if I understand correctly, that if I were to use it in day-to-day speech it isn’t necessarily offensive; but since the court of law has the duty of upholding equality they are going to begin using other terms like “all things that predate.” I really can’t see why any person would have a problem with that. Again, it’s another example of people hearing “news” and being too shy to use their Google machine ....either that, or they are just blatantly racist. Just to add ....this was another user who has joined in the last 2-months. Just sayin’....

This has nothing to do with race, but it's another example of how words matter.

We belong to a Facebook bourbon drinkers group. Yesterday, someone posted a picture of their somewhat large drink and said it was a "man size pour". I thought absolutely nothing of it, but last night, my wife asked if I had seen the post. I said I had and she said he got a couple of negative comments from women in our group. When I read it, the fact that it could be seen as dismissive of women never crossed my mind, but now that she pointed it out to me, I totally get it. We have lots of women in the group, my wife included, and plenty of them drink every bit as much or more than the men, so what does "man size pour" mean anyway? It's like the Hungry Man TV dinners. There's just no reason to use terminology like that anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter