D23 2015

I'm really anxious for details on this one... and how it will/won't affect SWW...

"Season of the Force – This new seasonal event, beginning early 2016, brings new experiences to both coasts. In Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, guests will explore the Star Wars galaxy with special entertainment, themed food locations and Hyperspace Mountain – a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle. Disney’s Hollywood Studios will feature a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies on weekend nights."

We'll be in DL in Jan for the SW Half, and are tentatively planning SWW at end of May in WDW. I'm dying for details!! :)

I'm really anxious for details on this one... and how it will/won't affect SWW...

"Season of the Force – This new seasonal event, beginning early 2016, brings new experiences to both coasts. In Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, guests will explore the Star Wars galaxy with special entertainment, themed food locations and Hyperspace Mountain – a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle. Disney’s Hollywood Studios will feature a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies on weekend nights."

We'll be in DL in Jan for the SW Half, and are tentatively planning SWW at end of May in WDW. I'm dying for details!! :)

I am with you - we are in DL in February - and would LOVE to get the chance to ride "Hyperspace Mountain!". It seems to me that when they say, "early 2016" that means Jan-March timeframe. It also makes sense that they would want some sort of special event at that time of year to drive people to come to the parks, especially in DLR where the winter is a slower season, but even in WDW where other than Presidents week things are pretty slow until you get to mid-march.

So will this be the last year for the Osborne lights? Seems the speculation will put SW land in the area of SOA. Any guesses what happen to the lights in the future

I would think so as that entire area where they are now will be impacted. Don't see any other place where they would fit?

I am with you - we are in DL in February - and would LOVE to get the chance to ride "Hyperspace Mountain!". It seems to me that when they say, "early 2016" that means Jan-March timeframe. It also makes sense that they would want some sort of special event at that time of year to drive people to come to the parks, especially in DLR where the winter is a slower season, but even in WDW where other than Presidents week things are pretty slow until you get to mid-march.

I'm bummed it won't be ready for our trip next month, but you reminded me that it will be in DLR at some point and we also have a February trip there planned. So maybe we'll get to see it there at least! :)

The OCC is much bigger than the Anaheim one.
That is the convention center I was referencing. I didn't realize that there were two convention centers in Anaheim.

I don't see it as a factor anyways. I get if you live in Florida why this would be an issue, but it costs me roughly $250 round trip to florida, and about $400 to LAX. Not that I would want to have to choose DLR over WDW all the time, but realistically if you wanted to go to D23 once, it isn't a deal breaker. Besides, as a Disney fan, you should get your a$$ to DLR at least once, and why not use it for a trip to D23.

The research I've done on a trip to Disneyland suggests your're better off flying into the John Wayne Airport instead of LAX which would make airfare more expenisve.

I could probably finance a trip to a D23 expo but I'd have to skip the WDW trip that year which I don't really want to do.

Article posted on the Motley Fool about the speculation of what was going to be announced at D23.

Disney Has Big Plans for Its Gutted Theme Park: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/07/09/disney-has-big-plans-for-its-gutted-theme-park.aspx

I especially like this quote: "The challenge for Disney is that it's the slowest-moving theme park operator on the planet. It sometimes announces new rides and attractions that won't open for years, unlike its more nimble rivals that seem to get quality additions up and running within months. Disney shareholders better hope that this isn't the plan this time. Disney World's least popular park is being picked dry of small yet well attended things to do. The bigger and better replacement park can't come soon enough."

Article posted on the Motley Fool about the speculation of what was going to be announced at D23.

Disney Has Big Plans for Its Gutted Theme Park: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/07/09/disney-has-big-plans-for-its-gutted-theme-park.aspx

I especially like this quote: "The challenge for Disney is that it's the slowest-moving theme park operator on the planet. It sometimes announces new rides and attractions that won't open for years, unlike its more nimble rivals that seem to get quality additions up and running within months. Disney shareholders better hope that this isn't the plan this time. Disney World's least popular park is being picked dry of small yet well attended things to do. The bigger and better replacement park can't come soon enough."

"Its more nimble rivals" who Disney continues to beat annually (and handily) in attendance, net profit, etc. Somehow I'm not too worried about Disney or its shareholders. ;)

Is it just me or is the Animation Courtyard an odd place to put Star Wars Launch Bay? You'd think that they'd put it close to Star Tours.

I don't think they would ever consider having it on property. The OCC would be the better option for the Expo.

Yup, they'd be able to have plenty of space at OCC. I was actually *just* at ACC for VidCon and I was shocked to find it was smaller than ours. Unless they wanna play the 'close to the park' card they really don't have an excuse.

That is the convention center I was referencing. I didn't realize that there were two convention centers in Anaheim.

The research I've done on a trip to Disneyland suggests your're better off flying into the John Wayne Airport instead of LAX which would make airfare more expenisve.

I could probably finance a trip to a D23 expo but I'd have to skip the WDW trip that year which I don't really want to do.

We flew into LAX and took a 'Disneyland Express' shuttle (run by Gray Line) for $48 round trip/PP. Virgin America had a decent price out of BOS but I wasn't the one paying. I only pay for a WDW AP, being so close to the parks, so any actual trips to California are waaaaaay out of my reach for as long as I'm still in college/starting out, sadly.

"Better off" is all relative. We used supershuttle to get from LAX to Disneyland for like $30 each way. The off property hotels are relatively inexpensive but within walking distance of the parks. (Note: they might be a lot more expensive for D23 week.)

To me, it sounds more like you don't really want to go. I would gladly give up my WDW one year to do DL / D23. (and hopefully will in a few years.)

And from this source... http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/...h-bay-star-tours-upgrade-season-of-the-force/

Star Wars Launch Bay will be coming to both coasts later this year and will be featuring a chance to interact with Star Wars characters both old and new, shop for special merchandise and food. There will also be exhibits props, costumes, and artwork from the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens for guests to enjoy as well as custom Disney Infinity video game content. Star Wars Launch Bay will be located in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park
On the subject of when Launch Bay will open... from @yulilin3's awesome SWW thread... a hint...

Vader and Chewie auditions... "Must be available to work starting October 11, 2015"...

http://www.disboards.com/threads/of...son-of-the-force.3439569/page-4#post-54259998

Is it just me or is the Animation Courtyard an odd place to put Star Wars Launch Bay? You'd think that they'd put it close to Star Tours.

Not really - they are going to want to keep it away from Star Wars Land itself, which will be under construction for ages. Remember, it's likely that this area would be closed once the Star Wars land is built - it's really just a temporary area to build enthusiam. I COULD see them also using the old Drew Carey theatre though IF they were to put the Star Wars stuff near Star Tours - but not if that building is going to be part of the destruction.

"Its more nimble rivals" who Disney continues to beat annually (and handily) in attendance, net profit, etc. Somehow I'm not too worried about Disney or its shareholders. ;)
Well, there is "net profit" and "net attendance", and then there is "profit growth" and "attendance growth". Disney's nimble rivals are kicking Disney's butt on the latter. And yes, shareholders do care about such things.

I know I'm getting around to this pretty late, but I haven't read much about, well, the animals at AK. It has been a day park because it revolved around the animals. No after-dark fireworks, loud noises, etc., to protect them in their habitats. My apologies if this information is out there, but...

...with the announcements about Rivers of Light and nighttime Kilimanjaro Safari, as well as the implications of Pandora (they won't tell us to go home before dark when there's so much to do), has there been any explanation about how the changes might affect the animals or what if any precautions will taken on their behalf?

Or perhaps the old explanation was just a fabrication, making excuses for a day park? (Not that any were needed, the hours and explanation were fine IMO.)

I know I'm getting around to this pretty late, but I haven't read much about, well, the animals at AK. It has been a day park because it revolved around the animals. No after-dark fireworks, loud noises, etc., to protect them in their habitats. My apologies if this information is out there, but...

...with the announcements about Rivers of Light and nighttime Kilimanjaro Safari, as well as the implications of Pandora (they won't tell us to go home before dark when there's so much to do), has there been any explanation about how the changes might affect the animals or what if any precautions will taken on their behalf?

Or perhaps the old explanation was just a fabrication, making excuses for a day park? (Not that any were needed, the hours and explanation were fine IMO.)
Good question. DAK has always been laser focused on protecting the animals first and foremost. That's not changed.

Keep in mind that the area that River of Lights is going into is already a fairly noisy area, EE and the screams of its riders create a significant amount of sound pollution. It's also pretty well removed from the majority of the Animal Enclosures, so they'll be fine with RoL.

As for the Savannah, the new nighttime Safaris will just extend the day for a few hours. If the animals don't want to stay active they can head to their barns where they can get some sleep. It's really about increasing the animals choice by giving them the option to stay active on the Savannah longer or just head to the barn.

I'm not sure about the Fireworks issue, it seems legitimate. Just know that Disney takes this stuff really seriously, so they won't mess this up.

Good question. DAK has always been laser focused on protecting the animals first and foremost. That's not changed.

Keep in mind that the area that River of Lights is going into is already a fairly noisy area, EE and the screams of its riders create a significant amount of sound pollution. It's also pretty well removed from the majority of the Animal Enclosures, so they'll be fine with RoL.

As for the Savannah, the new nighttime Safaris will just extend the day for a few hours. If the animals don't want to stay active they can head to their barns where they can get some sleep. It's really about increasing the animals choice by giving them the option to stay active on the Savannah longer or just head to the barn.

I'm not sure about the Fireworks issue, it seems legitimate. Just know that Disney takes this stuff really seriously, so they won't mess this up.

Thanks for breaking it down that way. I was looking at it from a "so why is after dark ok now when it wasn't before" angle. But you have considered each change piece by piece, and I can see it might not be so disruptive for the animals. Conservation should continue to be serious stuff!

Thanks for breaking it down that way. I was looking at it from a "so why is after dark ok now when it wasn't before" angle. But you have considered each change piece by piece, and I can see it might not be so disruptive for the animals. Conservation should continue to be serious stuff!
Absolutely! I think a lot of people would (rightly) look at Disney different if they failed to live up to their standards. I'd lose respect for sure.

I also just had a thought too. Many of the animals like Hippos, Giraffes, Elephants, etc. have living ranges that are either on or near the Equator. I'm wondering if they're actually taking the African Savannah to the next level by adding the lights. It could very well be that the extra hours of daylight added by the nighttime Safari actually make the Savannah more realistic than less.

Can any Animal experts speak to this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter