D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there aren't any mobility issues involved, the Portofino's not far at all. It's just past the Sheraton Park and conveniently next to the 24/7 CVS. You can get to the Convention Center either by going through the Sheraton parking lot toward the Hilton (this way gets you to the CC front door and past the food trucks -- yum!) or take Katella to the CC (which takes you past Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf -- this can increase in importance as you get more tired each morning!).

Thanks for the feedback - mobility not an issue besides sore feet.

So we booked the Anaheim Portofino Inn & Suites for nights around the convention (Thurs-Mon). It looks from the map like it's probably less than a 1/4 mile walk to the convention center. (We've decided not to rent a car while we're there.) Anyone stayed here? Right move? Price was pretty good - or at least not bad (around $200 a night).
We stayed there during the 2011 and 2013 expos, and the walk wasn’t bad at all. The only issue I had was in 2013 I ended up in a room that didn’t have a refrigerator. I must have booked a more expensive room in 2011, but didn’t realize it. That said, maybe all of the rooms have refrigerators now. It’s been almost six years. Just mentioning it because a refrigerator is a huge convenience during the expo. I liked having cold drinks, yogurt, etc., available before heading to line up very, very early in the morning.

We stayed there during the 2011 and 2013 expos, and the walk wasn’t bad at all. The only issue I had was in 2013 I ended up in a room that didn’t have a refrigerator. I must have booked a more expensive room in 2011, but didn’t realize it. That said, maybe all of the rooms have refrigerators now. It’s been almost six years. Just mentioning it because a refrigerator is a huge convenience during the expo. I liked having cold drinks, yogurt, etc., available before heading to line up very, very early in the morning.

I don't mind getting up early (we're coming from the east coast after all) but anything I would have to get up for at 2-3 AM then that is something I'm going to miss out on.

I don't mind getting up early (we're coming from the east coast after all) but anything I would have to get up for at 2-3 AM then that is something I'm going to miss out on.
There’s a lot to do, even if you don’t get there at 4 a.m., lol. Our favorite panel from last time was an “Eat Like Walt” presentation by Marcy Smothers, and we didn’t have to line up in the middle of the night to see it.

There’s a lot to do, even if you don’t get there at 4 a.m., lol. Our favorite panel from last time was an “Eat Like Walt” presentation by Marcy Smothers, and we didn’t have to line up in the middle of the night to see it.

The big panels I want to see are the afternoon ones - particularly the parks panel, and from everything I know you don't line up in the early AM for the afternoon panels. Beyond the Parks panels, I am going to really limit what we consider "must do" and just enjoy the sights and sounds of the expo.

The big panels I want to see are the afternoon ones - particularly the parks panel, and from everything I know you don't line up in the early AM for the afternoon panels. Beyond the Parks panels, I am going to really limit what we consider "must do" and just enjoy the sights and sounds of the expo.
It sounds like you have reasonable expectations, which is the best way to approach the expo, IMO. I like to quote Michael from the “Connecting with Walt” podcast who once referred to it as the “Disney Thunderdome.” The expo can be a wild ride if you try to do everything.

Smaller panels can be the most interesting, and I have jumped into many at the last minute on standby line. I am sometimes alone because my friends and I do not share all the same interests. Sometimes the chaos on the floor is fun, and sometimes I need a panel to take a break,lol.

I'm trying to decide between the Clarion and the Sheraton. Both look to be pretty equidistant to the convention center. The Clarion might be a tad closer based on Google Maps. Does anyone have a preference between these two hotels that could help me decide?

So we booked the Anaheim Portofino Inn & Suites for nights around the convention (Thurs-Mon). It looks from the map like it's probably less than a 1/4 mile walk to the convention center. (We've decided not to rent a car while we're there.) Anyone stayed here? Right move? Price was pretty good - or at least not bad (around $200 a night).

That's where i stayed last year.

Walk was very easy, we cut thru a parking lot and power walked there in less than 5 minutes.

Hotel doesn't really have a lot of frills but, you're not there for the hotel. When we were there we had no problems with noise or anything bad. Rooms were clean and maintained.

I'm trying to decide between the Clarion and the Sheraton. Both look to be pretty equidistant to the convention center. The Clarion might be a tad closer based on Google Maps. Does anyone have a preference between these two hotels that could help me decide?

They look to be right next to each other and equidistant from the convention center; however, I have not stayed at either or seen them in person. If you are getting the convention rate, the Clarion was much cheaper per night.

How picky are you about hotels? How much time will you be spending in the room?
If you want an inexpensive place to sleep and shower -- not planning on spending much time in the room for anything else -- then the Clarion should be fine. One caveat: one friend stayed there for the last Expo and swore she'd never stay there again. She likes to spend more time in the room to wind down after an Expo day, and the Clarion was too dark and dingy for her. The rate was terrific, though.
The Sheraton is one of our go-to hotels for DLR. Good service, good rooms. Can be noisy (expected with families excited about going to DLR), but nothing out of the ordinary. There will be many, many guests going to Expo from the Sheraton. We spend more time in the room, sometimes DH has to get some work done, and the Clarion wouldn't be our first choice.
Just my two cents... hope this helps.

@theluckyrabbit
Thank you so much for that perspective. I am pretty picky about hotels, however, we do not expect to be in the hotel very much at all. It will just be a place to store our stuff and shower and occasionally sleep. We do typically spend at least one night in line at the expo. So based on that, Clarion is probably the better choice for us.

@theluckyrabbit
Thank you so much for that perspective. I am pretty picky about hotels, however, we do not expect to be in the hotel very much at all. It will just be a place to store our stuff and shower and occasionally sleep. We do typically spend at least one night in line at the expo. So based on that, Clarion is probably the better choice for us.
Hey, the more money you save on the hotel, the more you'll have to spend at the Expo!

That's where i stayed last year.

Walk was very easy, we cut thru a parking lot and power walked there in less than 5 minutes.

Hotel doesn't really have a lot of frills but, you're not there for the hotel. When we were there we had no problems with noise or anything bad. Rooms were clean and maintained.

Yeah - we don't need frills. Clean bed, good shower and wi-fi. That should be just fine. The short walk is key to me for when the crowds get to us.

Hi all! I bought tickets for my first time visit to the expo, yay! My dilemma is this... I live super close to the parks (6 miles) but reading though all of these messages it seems that I might want to stay closer to the convention center (early mornings/line ups/parking/naps/convenience/sanity). Getting in to the park from my house can take up to an hour with traffic and parking so I am debating getting a room. Any thoughts from those who have visited before? Anyone live in the general vicinity and have additional insight?

Thanks so much :)

Hi all! I bought tickets for my first time visit to the expo, yay! My dilemma is this... I live super close to the parks (6 miles) but reading though all of these messages it seems that I might want to stay closer to the convention center (early mornings/line ups/parking/naps/convenience/sanity). Getting in to the park from my house can take up to an hour with traffic and parking so I am debating getting a room. Any thoughts from those who have visited before? Anyone live in the general vicinity and have additional insight?
Maybe just Uber? On the first day especially (a Friday) you may want to get there early, and that will be before traffic happens. Most likely time to hit traffic will be first day on the way home.

:wizard:

Thanks so much :)

I agree with @HydroGuy, I would just Uber. Or if you are getting there early enough you can park in the Anaheim Convention Center parking lot, which is, obviously, at the convention center and not at the park. It's much different than going to the park. My friend and I often stay 3-4 miles away and just Uber there or drive and park and have never had an issue. I wouldn't get a hotel for 6 miles. I get one for D23 because I live 35 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter