D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe just Uber? On the first day especially (a Friday) you may want to get there early, and that will be before traffic happens. Most likely time to hit traffic will be first day on the way home.

I agree with @HydroGuy, I would just Uber. Or if you are getting there early enough you can park in the Anaheim Convention Center parking lot, which is, obviously, at the convention center and not at the park. It's much different than going to the park. My friend and I often stay 3-4 miles away and just Uber there or drive and park and have never had an issue. I wouldn't get a hotel for 6 miles. I get one for D23 because I live 35 miles away.

Thanks for the insight! I guess I was thinking about if the convention center parking lot would be open early enough to park. Also sometimes Uber isn’t easily available at 4 am for example. Maybe overthinking, but I am flying solo and trying to plan ahead. So many have mentioned hotels and pricing and I wanted to get a jump on all that.

Very excited about going, so thank you! I really appreciate it!

Thanks for the insight! I guess I was thinking about if the convention center parking lot would be open early enough to park. Also sometimes Uber isn’t easily available at 4 am for example. Maybe overthinking, but I am flying solo and trying to plan ahead. So many have mentioned hotels and pricing and I wanted to get a jump on all that.

Very excited about going, so thank you! I really appreciate it!

The parking lot usually opens around 4 or earlier, and I have had no problem getting an Uber to the convention center at 4am when the expo was happening. Usually, it's not their first trip of the night there.

I have not used Uber there, because I walk over from my hotel, but wouldn’t some of the Uber drivers be aware of the event & be up to get the rides? I have a friend who drives Uber in San Diego & he is always ready to work different hours when Comic Con is in town to accommodate requests from attendees.

Also, a reminder for those considering how early to arrive, I recall from last year they closed the line getting into the convention center around 6 or so on Friday and Saturday mornings, & people waited outside after that. With increased security it took a long time for people outside to get in first thing, & some people missed first panels of the day as a result. Getting there early (by maybe 5:30) gets you thru security and waiting inside, and thus on the show floor sooner after the doors open.

Hi all! I bought tickets for my first time visit to the expo, yay! My dilemma is this... I live super close to the parks (6 miles) but reading though all of these messages it seems that I might want to stay closer to the convention center (early mornings/line ups/parking/naps/convenience/sanity). Getting in to the park from my house can take up to an hour with traffic and parking so I am debating getting a room. Any thoughts from those who have visited before? Anyone live in the general vicinity and have additional insight?

Thanks so much :)
If you plan on doing only one day or only partial days (and not first thing in the morning), then staying at home might be fine. Extra tiring, but fine. BUT... if you plan on doing all three days, all day from open to close, then get a hotel room as close by as you can afford. For us, just being able to pop back to the room whenever we needed some rest or a break (after the first day, this really mattered more than you'd think), was super helpful. And should you start to not feel well, then having a hotel room where you can take a nap or a shower can give you the recharge you need to get back in the game. Having to go back home might make you want to stay home for the rest of the day or night. The savings in convenience, energy expenditure, and sanity will more than make up for any money spent on a hotel room!

The parking lot usually opens around 4 or earlier, and I have had no problem getting an Uber to the convention center at 4am when the expo was happening. Usually, it's not their first trip of the night there.
Along these lines, I only did this once and it was as the 2017 Expo. We needed to check out of BWWPI where we were doing DLR from, and move to the Hilton at like 4AM, with all our luggage. It was no problem getting an Uber. I think that was the morning I bumped into @ashley0139!

:wizard:

I have not used Uber there, because I walk over from my hotel, but wouldn’t some of the Uber drivers be aware of the event & be up to get the rides? I have a friend who drives Uber in San Diego & he is always ready to work different hours when Comic Con is in town to accommodate requests from attendees.

Also, a reminder for those considering how early to arrive, I recall from last year they closed the line getting into the convention center around 6 or so on Friday and Saturday mornings, & people waited outside after that. With increased security it took a long time for people outside to get in first thing, & some people missed first panels of the day as a result. Getting there early (by maybe 5:30) gets you thru security and waiting inside, and thus on the show floor sooner after the doors open.

To clarify - they let a bunch of people inside around 6 am - but you still wait "in line" until 9 am, correct? After 6 am or so, the rest wait outside? Also, if you are in that first group they let in, is there any food available, or can one person go out to get food? Just curious, I may be able to convince my family to do 5:30 am one day, but unlikely all three days.

To clarify - they let a bunch of people inside around 6 am - but you still wait "in line" until 9 am, correct? After 6 am or so, the rest wait outside? Also, if you are in that first group they let in, is there any food available, or can one person go out to get food? Just curious, I may be able to convince my family to do 5:30 am one day, but unlikely all three days.
I haven’t attended but from watching and hearing friends expierence soccer the year that not exactly how it goes. they let people over night in the inside holding room for the big hall on Friday and Saturday for the key morning panels. For Friday’s panel people usually arrive around 4am(legends). For Saturday if it’s live action you want to see plan to spend the night there getting in line before midnight. Sunday they don’t do overnight and start letting people wait around 5/6am.

I haven’t attended but from watching and hearing friends expierence soccer the year that not exactly how it goes. they let people over night in the inside holding room for the big hall on Friday and Saturday for the key morning panels. For Friday’s panel people usually arrive around 4am(legends). For Saturday if it’s live action you want to see plan to spend the night there getting in line before midnight. Sunday they don’t do overnight and start letting people wait around 5/6am.

I don't want to line up for the big morning panels, I just want to get there early enough to get in for near the start of the convention. I'd like to attend the Fri/Sat afternoon panels, but not the morning ones. But I also don't want to show up at 9 AM and have to wait an hour and a half to get inside. I would prefer to wait until say 7 AM, but if that doesn't get us in until later i can probably convince my wife to do 6 AM. Probably not earlier.

On the first day of the last Expo, we showed up later than planned (between 7 and 7:30 am?) and the lines outside the CC front area were full. So we were sent immediately to a different line which went directly inside the CC, upstairs to a different holding area. Everyone, inside or outside, had to wait until the show floor opened (which was late that first morning!). We got in to the Expo before many of the outside people. I know someone who had arrived at 5:30 am, been in the outside lines all morning, but didn't get inside the show floor until around 10 am. The next two days were totally different (as usual!). But that first day was really weird.
As for food: there are food trucks outside the CC which serve breakfast burritos and other things. They don't arrive first thing, so bring protein bars or some other snacks with you. You can leave some of your party in line while others of you go to Starbucks in the Hilton to bring back food. That Starbucks does not have mobile ordering (at least, it didn't during the last Expo), so expect long lines.

I arrived around 4:30 each morning Friday and Saturday. I believe they were opening the doors to people around 10pm the night before, to help avoid huge crowds outside overnight. We all waited in Hall E downstairs. There are bathrooms and a snack bar with things like coffee and muffins in Hall E in the basement, where we waited. Approx 8:30 they started leading the Hall E folks upstairs for the 9am floor opening.

Friday morning There were also separate lines for the Legends panel, another 1000am panel, and the the show floor for the stores booths and tickets for later panels.

Saturday morning most if not all of the Hall E group was for Parks & Resorts I think, due to Star Wars land, either that or one of movie panels. I wasn’t in that line, but I seem to recall it closed early, maybe 400? Those that were not in that line, we waited in upstairs rooms and hallways. At one point they started pulling people out of line for those there for a 10am princess panel that was very popular so they would not miss it.

There was no mega panel Sunday morning so opening was a bit later and fewer people there really early.

For those in Hall E, they had colored wristbands to sort of keep people in order by arrival and prevent line jumping,Ie no one person saving a spot early for 5 or 10 people to jump in later at 800. Some folks did go out for Starbucks but I don’t know how that worked with the security folks to get back in,

Th D23 FAQs has a lot of info about times ahead of time which was very helpful.

On the first day of the last Expo, we showed up later than planned (between 7 and 7:30 am?) and the lines outside the CC front area were full. So we were sent immediately to a different line which went directly inside the CC, upstairs to a different holding area. Everyone, inside or outside, had to wait until the show floor opened (which was late that first morning!). We got in to the Expo before many of the outside people. I know someone who had arrived at 5:30 am, been in the outside lines all morning, but didn't get inside the show floor until around 10 am. The next two days were totally different (as usual!). But that first day was really weird.
As for food: there are food trucks outside the CC which serve breakfast burritos and other things. They don't arrive first thing, so bring protein bars or some other snacks with you. You can leave some of your party in line while others of you go to Starbucks in the Hilton to bring back food. That Starbucks does not have mobile ordering (at least, it didn't during the last Expo), so expect long lines.
The queue management at the 2017 was the worst I had ever seen. Enough to make me question whether I wanted to come back in 2019. Disney hires short term people to help as contract workers who know next to nothing about queue control. They are usually the ones handling queues. The few and far between direct Disney staff usually seem to know about queue control. The way you avoid this issue as much as possible is to come incredibly early and be more near the front (like 3AM early). Those who come "regular early" (like 5 or 6AM) are the ones impacted by poor management getting into the building in the morning. I would say come before 4AM or just wait until 9 or 10AM to arrive each day. And get to your favorite sessions as early as possible for the same reason. Last Expo I saw how horribly they handled the Animated Movies session. People walking in at the last minute got in, while people who had waited for 3-4 hours were blocked out. It was literally a disaster. I came extra early and I made it in. But folks who came early but later than me were impacted. :mad:

The queue management at the 2017 was the worst I had ever seen. Enough to make me question whether I wanted to come back in 2019...
Agree. The queue management people must have been in league with the security-pseudo TSA people. Some (a few) of the security people were nice and friendly, but others were just plain mean. And there were D23 people standing right there watching the whole show. When we pointed out what was going on at the bag check tables (e.g barking rude orders, grabbing items away from guests and throwing them away -- factory sealed bottles of water? When the D23 site said that was okay?), the D23 people agreed that the sealed bottles should have been allowed, but they said they couldn't stop any of the offensive behavior because "those employees aren't D23." Which is the same excuse for most of the line employees...

If you plan on doing only one day or only partial days (and not first thing in the morning), then staying at home might be fine. Extra tiring, but fine. BUT... if you plan on doing all three days, all day from open to close, then get a hotel room as close by as you can afford. For us, just being able to pop back to the room whenever we needed some rest or a break (after the first day, this really mattered more than you'd think), was super helpful. And should you start to not feel well, then having a hotel room where you can take a nap or a shower can give you the recharge you need to get back in the game. Having to go back home might make you want to stay home for the rest of the day or night. The savings in convenience, energy expenditure, and sanity will more than make up for any money spent on a hotel room!

Thank you. Again something to think about as I plan to be there all three days. If I were to go home, you are right that I might be tempted to stay.

Just being so close but far enough away from the resort areas increases wait times for Ubers and Lyfts as they tend to wait closer to the resort areas. At least in my experience trying to get one for flights.

Great info from everyone :)

OK I looked up my trip report and notes from 2017 about arrival times and being inside or outside.

Friday Day 1:

Arrived at 5:15 am. Got stuck waiting outside. Talked to people later in the day who said they arrived at 5 and were let inside. We were pretty close to the front doors and were inside security, which put us ahead of a lot of people. But by the time they were ready to let us in it was starting to get a bit hot and the sun was bright. So bring sun tan lotion if you're waiting outside.

I also heard horror stories from friends who showed up later. If you show up at 9 thinking the line will be gone to get inside...it won't. You'll just be stuck somewhere lined up on Harbor in the sun.

Saturday Day 2 and Day of Live Action Panel:

Arrived at 3:10, were one of the very last guaranteed rows to get seating for Live Action. I think some wait list lines behind us might have got in as well.

Sunday Day 3:

Arrived a little before 5 and made it inside.

To be fair to D23, my understanding is that the queue employees are from the Convention Center. Disney does not have control over choosing the employees

To be fair to D23, my understanding is that the queue employees are from the Convention Center. Disney does not have control over choosing the employees
I disagree. After the disaster last time with the Animation movies queue, on Day 1, Disney staff got called on to make sure every other big event went smoothly. The Expo event people were clearly taking directions from Disney staff.

:wizard:

Last edited:
They may not choose them, but they do oversee them once the Expo starts. The CC employees can be so stupid as to defy reason -- telling people that there are no restrooms inside the CC?? What is the point in that and how could they even think that was plausible? Splitting up married couples into different lines? (I had to get a D23 manager to override the CC employee so that I could find, then join my husband after we got split up.) True, not all CC employees are so clueless and some are quite helpful. But the others just boggle the mind...

I think the best attitude to have going into this is that things will go wrong, stupid things will happen and you will be angry and frustrated at least one time.

Should it be that way? No, but that's reality. Most conventions are like this.

But the great moments usually make up for the frustrations, that's why us repeaters keep going.

OK. I just read some stuff on the D23 Expo Things to Know Page. It says no outside food or beverage. Does this mean only in the convention center panel rooms or everywhere in the convention center? It says food and beverage are available for purchase, but I bet those lines are hours long. Did they let people staying "over night" inside have food & water with them. I'm not so worried about the food, but I can't imagine getting to only drink a bottle or two of water per day. I drink a lot of water due to allergies, medications, and other health conditions. Someone earlier in the thread said that closed bottled water was allowed "sort of" or supposed to be. Was this like one bottle per person? I know I shouldn't feel panicky, but I always start to freak out a bit when I don't think I will have easy access to water. The security line at the airport makes me feel like I've been in the desert; I immediately run to buy water. Or I drink so much on the way to the airport that I have to run to the bathroom the minute I get past security:sad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter