D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear, from my reading, only MF will be open. The rest of the land/other ride won't open until 6/23.

Your post is slightly confusing. Agreed that it is clear the second ride is opening at a later date, not yet specified when, but 6/23 is as good a guess as any. The land will be open though when the MF ride opens because the blog post and other press releases all mention the early opportunity to explore the area, taste the food, and buy stuff in the shops.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-studios/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q2wo0307190313190002C

Most of the details are in there. The reservation system is only in place until June 23rd. So after that currently you will be on your own and being in a DLR hotel will no longer get you a reservation window. It also seems no EMH/EMM for SW:GE unfortunately. I specifically booked a trip to DLR because those are better than WDW but guess I might not get to ride or see the land at DLR and have to wait until WDW a couple months after that trip.
Thank you. Yes, I see in the blog post that it says no EMH/MM at DL. :(

For the dates we're traveling then (7/8-7/10), is there any advantage to staying on property? Seems odd that they wouldn't try to build in an enticement given the room rates.

I personally think it's great to open in phases as it's ready, to relieve some of the demand pressure. Those lower APs would be rapid to experience GE had it not opened until after AP blackouts started. I think they'll be less crazy after blackouts are lifted in the fall. Those APs can experience most of it in June and might be kinda "meh" to come back right away for 1 more ride. At least, I hope!

fa

I hope ROTR is only weeks behind but the fact that they said “later in the year” sounds like longer.

Look how everyone pinned the weekend of June 21 as the opening date based on the AP blockout calendar and started making plans around that. I'm thinking the later in the year could be one of two things. One, this early opening strategy is an effort to spread out some of the crushing crowds the theme park, city, streets, and freeway were likely to experience with a massive grand opening so announcing now an opening date for the whole land is counter-productive to that. And/or, two, this ride is so advanced and unique and needs fine-tuning technologically or artisitically or logistically, and they really aren't exactly sure when it will open.

Last edited:

So are you saying that the reservation will be instead of EMH/MM? That makes sense. But the way PP wrote about EMM/MM, I wondered if he/she meant there would be no EMH/MM indefinitely.
The reservation system is only until June 23rd. Right now they have said it will not be part of EMM/EMH but didn't give an indication of if that will always be the case.

Thank you. Yes, I see in the blog post that it says no EMH/MM at DL. :(

For the dates we're traveling then (7/8-7/10), is there any advantage to staying on property? Seems odd that they wouldn't try to build in an enticement given the room rates.
I wonder if hotel guests (and those with Morning Magic) being in DLR will get ahead of those in lining up for SW:GE to open or will you have to chose to join a line for SW:GE with everyone who isn't eligible for EMM/EMH, really destroying the advantage of staying on-site. I'm with you here I purposefully chose onsite for the EMM/EMH and grabbing the FastPass before official park open.

This seems to me the new theme. When Pixar Pier opened, all that happened was ferris wheel and incredicoaster and food being re-themed. Jessie's carousel and emotional whirlwind are still not open. Yet they had a "grand opening".
They have already stated when Marvel land opens, it will not be fully open as there is a phase 2 for the major roller coaster to open.
This fake "grand opening" this is really lame.
It is pretty annoying. If the entire pier was redone on time last year, I think I would have paid extra for that preview event.
Would they even do a paid preview for Star Wars if the other ride isn’t open? I’d be mad to drop all that money with it half open.

We'll be in the parks the 3rd-7th. Honestly I was hoping we would miss the opening! Not looking forward to the security lines on Harbor and at the park entrances. But that being said, since it will be open when we're there, you can bet I"m going to try to get a reservation to check it out.

Same. We’re going to DL for the first time towards the end of June and I was keeping my fingers crossed that GE wouldn’t open until right after we left. On the plus side, we are staying at DLH during the reservation time frame, so hopefully we’ll at least get to take a peak at GE during our visit, though it’s definitely not the reason we’re going. My intention was to wait a year or ten and then experience it at WDW.

Not ideal to open the land in phases, but this is far less offensive than Disney charging people $300 to see Pixar Pier. It had zero new rides - just a rethemed roller coaster and Ferris wheel. For SW:GE, Disney is permitting free reservations to see at least one brand new e-ticket ride. I’m honestly shocked they didn’t try to monetize this and charge people to get into SW:GE. People certainly would have paid, even with only one ride opening.

So are you saying that the reservation will be instead of EMH/MM? That makes sense. But the way PP wrote about EMM/MM, I wondered if he/she meant there would be no EMH/MM indefinitely.
I am reading the announcement as “this is what will be in effect from May 31-June 23”. There very well could continue to be no FP/MP and no EMM/MM in June 24 and beyond but they very well could put something else in effect on June 24. I would expect at least to have options for after hours or early hour premium events.

Not ideal to open the land in phases, but this is far less offensive than Disney charging people $300 to see Pixar Pier. It had zero new rides - just a rethemed roller coaster and Ferris wheel. For SW:GE, Disney is permitting free reservations to see at least one brand new e-ticket ride. I’m honestly shocked they didn’t try to monetize this and charge people to get into SW:GE. People certainly would have paid, even with only one ride opening.
Well they did kind of monetize it in that they are giving onsite hotel guests guaranteed previews. Granted, it is a lot less expensive for my family of 5 to spend 3 nights in a hotel than $500 each for passes but it's also the psychology of it. More people would opt to spend their money to stay in a hotel and get passes than would spend to get a $500 preview figuring they get more for their money. Then add in the hotel food etc vs. locals only going for the event. Also, we don't know what the free reservations entail. 1 hour access times per person maybe. A lot more people can go through than say a 3 hour closed event for the $500 crowd. Disney is good at making money so I'm sure their spreadsheet and pie chart showed this way was the most cost effective (read will bring in more $$).

There had darn well better be a benefit to staying on site! I booked a week at the DLH in July to have a shot at some added benefits for SW:GE. No need to spend all that $$ if we don't have EMH/reserved times/FP or anything to ease the pain.
They are going out of the way to ensure that hotel guests do not get an advantage in the early morning, but I could see an after hours deal.

Look how everyone pinned the weekend of June 21 as the opening date based on the AP blockout calendar and started making plans around that. I'm thinking the later in the year could be one of two things. One, this early opening strategy is an effort to spread out some of the crushing crowds the theme park, city, streets, and freeway were likely to experience with a massive grand opening so announcing now an opening date for the whole land is counter-productive to that. And/or, two, this ride is so advanced and unique and needs fine-tuning technologically or artisitically or logistically, and they really aren't exactly sure when it will open.
Honestly, they are playing this one smart, they are announcing that you will need a reservation to enter the land well in advance so they won't have people showing up hoping to get in.

They are also opening in phases, which again is a smart move as it will spread out the crowds. But overall, I think we are going to see smaller than expected crowds much like happened with Radiator Springs. Yes, there will be a lot of people, but no where near as large of a crowd as is being expected.

Hopefully VGC people staying in those May 31-June 23 times are included in getting access.
I think just like everyone else, they will need to make a reservation, I don't think hotel guests are getting any special treatment.

Come on folks, listen to what you are saying. For those unhappy or just skeptical with the phased opening, the only other option at this point would be to delay opening SWGE until the second ride is ready. Would you prefer that?

And for those saying Disney is doing this to make more money, no way. If the second ride was ready they would open it. In this case demand is huge. Delaying the second ride to make more money makes no sense. And delaying the whole land until the second ride is ready makes some sense. But will disappoint EVERYONE. So if the second ride is going to be delayed a few months, this decision they made is best for everyone.

:wizard:

Well they did kind of monetize it in that they are giving onsite hotel guests guaranteed previews. Granted, it is a lot less expensive for my family of 5 to spend 3 nights in a hotel than $500 each for passes but it's also the psychology of it. More people would opt to spend their money to stay in a hotel and get passes than would spend to get a $500 preview figuring they get more for their money. Then add in the hotel food etc vs. locals only going for the event. Also, we don't know what the free reservations entail. 1 hour access times per person maybe. A lot more people can go through than say a 3 hour closed event for the $500 crowd. Disney is good at making money so I'm sure their spreadsheet and pie chart showed this way was the most cost effective (read will bring in more $$).
I have seen nothing in writing that guarantees hotel guests reservations, care to point to where this is?

Too early to know. And sorry but they don't need to entice people to stay to stay on-site, people pay those room rates that time of year with the current set of incentives (EMH).

Just to be clear, from my reading, only MF will be open. The rest of the land/other ride won't open until 6/23.

Curious what you read that makes you believe this. I totally agree on RotR not being open, but I read it to mean everything else would be. Also, where did you see 6/23 as the date the rest will open? We have a trip 6/22-6/26 so really curious about this!

I think just like everyone else, they will need to make a reservation, I don't think hotel guests are getting any special treatment.
Disney specifically stated on the parks blog today: Guests staying at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels during these dates will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during their stay (one reservation per registered guest); valid theme park admission is required.

It’s when you have a family of 6 like mine that you have to balance out numbers. For us, we simply can’t afford to stay at one of the on-site hotels. (I should note that we could not afford a $500/person special access pass either). A family of 5 cost in June averages $412/night for PP. Add in our 4th kiddo, and that moves us up to $906/night. They know that it a lot of families (including grandma/grandpa/cousins/etc.) will want to join so they can really make good money now through this with no discounts needed for the hotels. This doesn’t bother me at all, I know it’s part of their business model and $$$ is what they are looking at...we are headed there this next week and then we will be done for a few years and will return after things have somewhat settled (maybe...if we can afford it by then or if it will ever settle down ;) ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter