D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the reservation period will be the least crowded in Galaxy's Edge for the next two years. Disney will likely have to institute several different crowd control schemes after July 23rd. There's going to be several waves of major crowds in the next 6 months in particular (summer vacation season, AP's unblocked in Fall, ROTR opening, holiday weeks, etc). I wish I could prognosticate what the crowd control measures will be in December. Some sort of onsite stay guaranteed entry would be my personal wish. pixiedust:

I believe the reservation period will be the least crowded in Galaxy's Edge for the next two years. Disney will likely have to institute several different crowd control schemes after July 23rd. There's going to be several waves of major crowds in the next 6 months in particular (summer vacation season, AP's unblocked in Fall, ROTR opening, holiday weeks, etc). I wish I could prognosticate what the crowd control measures will be in December. Some sort of onsite stay guaranteed entry would be my personal wish. pixiedust:

We were just at WDW in November and the idea for us was to go again for SWGE in 2021, after the crowds have about 2 years to normalize (whatever that looks like). We knew we were coming out to DL in June, but that was tied to a business trip and assumed it wouldn't be open in CA yet. At least we now get what I assume will be somewhat lower crowds with the reservations when we arrive mid-June. I must say, though, that I am grateful that we are NOT locals and have to fight the infamous SoCal traffic.

This is what makes me nervous the most. I wonder how many people out there who are just going to show up opening day not knowing or believing they need a reservation, and add to crowds?
I just talked to one of the other moms from my daughter’s class this morning, and she was telling me how they’re so excited to go to Disneyland the day after school gets out (June 4) to see Star Wars land! They don’t have a reservation so they know they’ll have to wait in a long line, but they’re ready!

I don’t think she believed me even after I tried to explain that the reservation is required to enter the land.

She’s not going to be alone in her ignorance. :sad2: I think they really misstepped in advertising May 31 so heavily. I’ve noticed that lately my computer is giving me ads for June 24 instead, so hopefully there’s time for more people to get clued in?

Although I wouldn't expect it in the first week, I could imagine Disney "testing" out the virtual queue system during the reservation period.

If you are correct, I would expect a line of guests who booked DLRH stays at guest relations looking for some form of satisfaction.

If you are correct, I would expect a line of guests who booked DLRH stays at guest relations looking for some form of satisfaction.
Technically anyone could have gotten a reservation for free. And the reservation "guarantees" them access. So those who paid for a night at a Disney hotel still get what they paid for a guaranteed reservation. Those in the virtual queue would not be guaranteed access. They would only get access if space allowed. This isn't a private party people paid extra for. Disney could do this. They may not, but they could.

Technically anyone could have gotten a reservation for free. And the reservation "guarantees" them access. So those who paid for a night at a Disney hotel still get what they paid for a guaranteed reservation. Those in the virtual queue would not be guaranteed access. They would only get access if space allowed. This isn't a private party people paid extra for. Disney could do this. They may not, but they could.

True, but I will still bet you a soda the line will be long.

Although I wouldn't expect it in the first week, I could imagine Disney "testing" out the virtual queue system during the reservation period.
If word gets out that there’s a chance to get in without reservations, the masses will DESCEND and that will not go well. That would go on Twitter and they’d have 20,000 people in line in a snap.

I don’t think they’d be that dumb.

You know, I'm worried that could be the case. Do you remember a post (I think it was here... or was it at Micechat??) a few weeks back that claimed to be an insider - they said that despite Disney heavily advertising entry to SW:GE would be by reservation only, they will actually allow a standby entry into the land anyway. I assumed that would be a physical line, but I guess it could just as easily be a virtual line - they could call it a trial or a test. It would be all over social media and people without reservations (and maybe even some with reservations for other times/dates) would be turning up trying to get in. But if they do that, then I think the crowds would be out of control.

Also, it would probably look much better for Disney if things go smoothly during the initial period. If it is just one huge, crowded mess it might turn people off the idea of coming to the resort in the near future. So I'm hoping, for PR purposes, they do NOT have any kind of standby line until later in June.

For this part, you may be best off waiting until SWGE has been open a few days & ask for feedback on the parking. You have a long enough drive already, that you’d probably benefit from solid intel on this part of your plan. Right now, everyone is still just guessing how will turn out.
This is so true for everyone here! And this is why we are trying so hard here to make sure that this board is a place where people can come to get trustworthy information! There are too many other places where people can go to get rumors, opinions, fluff, fake news, etc. -- so we really want this board to be a place where people can count on what they read as much as possible!
For those DISers out there who have opening day reservations and will be reporting back -- THANK YOU! Your intel will be so appreciated and will help more people than you know.

I agree... unfortunately there are people who don't do their research and think "oh SWGE is for everyone!"
This is just scary -- and we all are meeting people like this every day as opening day gets closer. The amount of ignorance and indifference out there is really unsettling.

This is just scary -- and we all are meeting people like this every day as opening day gets closer. The amount of ignorance and indifference out there is really unsettling.
I’m a little worried about how many disgruntled guests we will need to wade through to get to the line for people who actually followed directions and made reservations! No matter how much Disney tries to put up signage and give notices, people will ignore it (ahem, fastpass queue backups), which could make check-in and wristband distribution a PITA! Lots of people complaining and holding up the line of people just trying to get their actual credentials!

I’m a little worried about how many disgruntled guests we will need to wade through to get to the line for people who actually followed directions and made reservations!..
And I'm a little worried (or more than a little) that "disgruntled" might be putting it very mildly. Remember how "disgruntled" some guests would get at F! when CMs would move the trash that was being used to save spots? This is going to make that look like nothing...

I am thankful we will be at Disneyland Resort for a week+. We are planning two mornings in GE: July 6 and July 9. I am planning to get up early and push ahead as far as I can, and the rest will try to catch up to me before rope drop.

I am thankful we will be at Disneyland Resort for a week+. We are planning two mornings in GE: July 6 and July 9. I am planning to get up early and push ahead as far as I can, and the rest will try to catch up to me before rope drop.
I’m looking forward to your letting us know how things go, since we’ll be there end of July/beginning of August. Thanks in advance!

And I'm a little worried (or more than a little) that "disgruntled" might be putting it very mildly. Remember how "disgruntled" some guests would get at F! when CMs would move the trash that was being used to save spots? This is going to make that look like nothing...
Yup. I think when it’s time for our reservations we will just push ahead and try to avoid the evil eyes from people jealous! Lift our wrists high-show the CMs we know what’s going on! And make sure to thank the CMs because I know they’re going to be dealing with a lot of crap for the next several months (and beyond)!

I was thinking about how early on everyone was talking about how Galaxy's Edge will bring non-Disney people to the parks. Well, I have two co-workers who are both in their 40s and have kids, but have never been to Disney. One is going opening week. The other is going later this year. The first one is going solo, but is already talking about returning with his kids. They've often made fun of me for my Disney obsession, but I guess Star Wars is all they needed to jump on the bandwagon.

This is so true for everyone here! And this is why we are trying so hard here to make sure that this board is a place where people can come to get trustworthy information! There are too many other places where people can go to get rumors, opinions, fluff, fake news, etc. -- so we really want this board to be a place where people can count on what they read as much as possible!
For those DISers out there who have opening day reservations and will be reporting back -- THANK YOU! Your intel will be so appreciated and will help more people than you know.

I do feel somewhat for the average guest, who is not on these boards or any boards. They may have just planned a DLR vacation months ago, booked on off-site hotel, and plan on getting tickets at the gate. They would thus have received no communication from Disney about SWGE and the required reservation. They may even be unaware that it will be open during their trip, or if they are aware, they may be vaguely aware but did not bother to go to the Disney site and read the fine print. Has DLR ever opened a new land but had reservation-only access? Not to my memory, so even if the average guest knows the land will be open, why would they necessarily think that they would need a reservation to even enter the land? I am not defending those who choose to go in blindly, but I also think not everyone has to research the life out of their vacation. And honestly maybe they did initial research, booked it months ago, and just plan on going based on the earlier information.

I think there will be some very, very upset guests.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I know SWGE will not be open for MM/EMH and that there will be no FastPass. But has Disney said anything about a single rider line? If not, does Disney have any historical precedent as to when/whether it adds a single rider line to popular attractions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!