D23 EXPO 2019 Superthread - dates announced!

Do you want Fresno - ABC30's Cory James to cover Media Day at Disneyland - SWGE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO "the masses" are the currently blocked out AP holders. The general public will NEVER descend upon the Disneyland resort en masse as was predicted. This land opening has been 99% hype. I don't expect crowds to pick up until August 20, when AP blackouts are lifted.
Can you speak more to this and why you think the “public masses” won’t arrive as hyped? I’ve been harboring a similar theory but thought I was probably being... unrealistic?

Has anyone actually been refused pilot when they asked? I’ve heard different things about whether or not you can ask for it. I definitely want to be pilot but I don’t want to ask somebody who got pilot to trade when they don’t want to.
When we went, they changed the order of the cards and gave Pilot to the younger girl in the group with us (not in my traveling party). She didn't want to be Pilot and we ended up getting it! On the day we went (with reservation), everyone was friendly and offering to trade positions with those that hadn't been pilot. Of course, we got on the ride 5 times with no wait so not sure if that will work when people have waited longer to get on the ride.

Locals may be realizing it's not as crazy as expected, so if they have valid passes are headed there. (To be honest, if I was in the Anaheim area, not Downtown LA, I would consider it too!)
I wonder how many annual passholders are Signature or higher compared to the numbers that have Deluxe and lower. I know lots of Deluxe and lower passholders who would be there right now if they weren’t blocked!

And yet another question...:teeth:

Just wondering from anyone who entered GE this morning:

What time did you line up at the gate for RD?

What “group” number were you assigned?

What time did you actually enter?

And finally, if you went right to Smugglers Run, how long was the wait?

Thanks!!!!

When we went, they changed the order of the cards and gave Pilot to the younger girl in the group with us (not in my traveling party). She didn't want to be Pilot and we ended up getting it! On the day we went (with reservation), everyone was friendly and offering to trade positions with those that hadn't been pilot. Of course, we got on the ride 5 times with no wait so not sure if that will work when people have waited longer to get on the ride.

I think the bottom line is it does vary by CM how they do it. One of the times we went I watched the CM look around and give the pilot cards to my two youngest- he was clearly looking for the kids in the group to give those to. All three of our rides they were handed out in order, 2 pilot, 2 gunner, 2 engineer. Our final ride had one single rider (as MIL had gone home at that point), the SR was given engineer.

I wonder how many annual passholders are Signature or higher compared to the numbers that have Deluxe and lower. I know lots of Deluxe and lower passholders who would be there right now if they weren’t blocked!
I was wondering if this was part of why Flex wasn't showing unavailable until this morning. Disney may have blocked it manually to stave off a potential unplanned rush of locals in the afternoon if morning reports showed things to be relatively manageable (which they have).

My family is visiting DLR for the first time Sunday August 25 through Sunday Sept 1st. We are very excited and planned this not realizing it coincided with the end of D23. We are sandwiched between that and Labor Day weekend so likely a busy time regardless.

How will D23 impact our trip? Will there be more crowds at the beginning of the week from attendees who are also there to see GE or just DLR in general? Will crowds dissipate by Wednesday?

I am asking because we have a 5 day hopper (why not sell longer tix DLR???) and we might plan our non-park day toward beginning of the week if we should expect Sun/Mon/Tue to be WAY MORE busy than the end of the week - though that is getting into a holiday weekend.... If we should not expect anything too excessive on the front end of our trip we would rather have a non-park day in the middle of it.

We are used to traveling at WDW during busy school breaks though and are commando for rope drop and fast pass/maxpass so are ready to do what it takes to enjoy and have fun either way :yay::yay::yay::yay:

I think the bottom line is it does vary by CM how they do it. One of the times we went I watched the CM look around and give the pilot cards to my two youngest- he was clearly looking for the kids in the group to give those to. All three of our rides they were handed out in order, 2 pilot, 2 gunner, 2 engineer. Our final ride had one single rider (as MIL had gone home at that point), the SR was given engineer.
On the 5 times we went on the ride, we only got the Pilot once due to the little girl who didn't want to do it. My daughter and I kept getting pulled ahead to join other groups and wouldn't have gotten Pilot otherwise (we were always last joining bigger parties). I do agree - it's the CM that ultimately decides. Since Pilot is the most coveted (by most), parties of 2 are going to have a difficult time getting it. The ONE time we were in the front of the group, thinking we "would" get Pilot, the CM gave it to the younger child instead of us. Of course, she was the one who didn't want it anyway so that was good luck for us.

Last edited:
Ok...trying to plan for next week when we're at the park.
Besides getting to the gate early...my question is.....people stand at the Frontier Land rope drop, do CM's walk you over to the entrance to SWGE? Or was it a mad dash/run???

Could this thread have some links on the first page to the most current info for SWGE?

If not can anyone tell me which post shows what I need to know for AUgust trip and entrance to SWGE and Ogas and Savis? Help please? Thanks!

So if I’m going solo, do I have a better chance of getting pilot if I keep trying the regular line and asking for pilot each time or doing single rider a bunch and switching roles?

So if I’m going solo, do I have a better chance of getting pilot if I keep trying the regular line and asking for pilot each time or doing single rider a bunch and switching roles?
I say you have a better chance with the regular line. In my experience, most single riders were the right gunner or either engineer. No matter what, you might have to switch roles with someone.

Ok...trying to plan for next week when we're at the park.
Besides getting to the gate early...my question is.....people stand at the Frontier Land rope drop, do CM's walk you over to the entrance to SWGE? Or was it a mad dash/run???
Looking at videos, Cast Members were in the front guiding guests to the entrance as everyone sped walked behind them. But don’t quote me on that because I wasn’t there. I’m just speculating from videos and tweets

My friend was asking if I had gotten any notification from FedEx because she had for something coming from Florida. Seems early but that would be cool if it's our passes.
From our ticket confirmation email - today would be the 8-weeks prior so it could be tickets are starting to go out. I haven’t yet received any shipment notifications from FedEx.

Tickets are expected to ship to the provided shipping address approximately 6-8 weeks prior to D23 Expo 2019. If you purchased merchandise, it will ship separately to the provided shipping address, also approximately 6-8 weeks prior to D23 Expo 2019.

IMO "the masses" are the currently blocked out AP holders. The general public will NEVER descend upon the Disneyland resort en masse as was predicted. This land opening has been 99% hype. I don't expect crowds to pick up until August 20, when AP blackouts are lifted.

Great point! I must remember how different AP holders are to DLR versus WDW.

WDW is my "home park" since I live in the midwest. The chaos of Pandora is still fresh in my mind, and I went a week after opening. I couldn't believe it when my husband said let's go to DLR and SWGE. This man hates the pushing chaos more than me! No doubt he is dying to check out if he suggested coming. He will be absolutely ecstatic if it stays this way, because you know this won't be the case at WDW in August. The only bonus is that they were wise in opening it after most schools start. This would be a completely different scenario if WDW opened up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!